Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

Not sure if this will help with the folks having Windows 7 issues, but I always make sure I choose to run the install package "as Administrator". And, I also launch the app "as Administrator". I always have to click through the User Account Control box, but I very rarely have issues installing software on Windows 7 this way. Probably overkill in some cases.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Has anyone run nomad with an IOS 5 beta?

Setup

Ken

#103 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

Has anyone run nomad with an IOS 5 beta?

I am. Seems to work fine.

#104 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

I am. Seems to work fine.

Same here, no issues.

#105 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

I don't know how you guys have the patience for this product. I installed the app on my wife's phone this evening at 5:15 and started to download an episode of 48 hours and a auto-transfer of People's Court. It's now 7:45 and the episode of 48 hours still has 10 minutes to download and the first People's Court has 50 minutes left to process. There also does not appear to be a method to display exactly what is in the queue of the nomad, nor is there any way to see what programs may already be ready to download from a previous "processing" event...such as items I downloaded to a different device.

I am also experiencing the Windows 7 install error that PCampbell has experienced. In total, I've played with this for 1 1/2 days over 4 devices and all I have is one CSI on my home PC, which will never leave the house.

On the other hand, I had never really played with Tivo 2 Go. I have a standalone Tivo to get some OTA programming that I can't get on my DirecTV box. I was able to download 5 different shows (3 of each) for a total of 15 programs. They were available in iTunes this morning and onto my phone within 10 minutes. It really does seem to be a much more efficient method of "To Go".

#106 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Go to DVR, hit Filter, choose "Ready to Download", then Done- a list of what's ready to d/l.

Generally prepare time- transcode- is about 1:1. D/l about 1:6 or so. Dunno what caused your poor results on your trial.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#107 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Go to DVR, hit Filter, choose "Ready to Download", then Done- a list of what's ready to d/l.

Generally prepare time- transcode- is about 1:1. D/l about 1:6 or so. Dunno what caused your poor results on your trial.

I'm wondering if the Nomad is processing stuff that I selected inadvertantly on my netbook. I've since removed it from the mix and couldn't figure out how to see what is on the Nomad.

Sorry I keep coming back here for the easy answers, I'm very limited with play time right now as I'm buried with work. So, one more RTFM question...is there someplace I can see what is queued to be transcoded so that I can make sure the box isn't being bogged down with work it doesn't need to do?

#108 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Doesn't seem to be the case. Mine starts up way faster at work, on WiFi but outside my home. The only time it's slow is when I'm home and actually on the WiFi.

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the previous post. If it's slow at home, then it's taking its own sweet time to get the info from Nomad. That could be an optimization thing which a software update could also solve. I really doubt multiple-minute launching time is something they intend to keep as part of the experience, even if its only hitting some people.

#109 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,340 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

Sorry I keep coming back here for the easy answers, I'm very limited with play time right now as I'm buried with work. So, one more RTFM question...is there someplace I can see what is queued to be transcoded so that I can make sure the box isn't being bogged down with work it doesn't need to do?

Each client will show it's 'queue' and you can cancel from there.

The only problem I've experienced in the testing I've done is I had an episode that 'hung' the queue because it wouldn't transcode for some reason.

Once that was cleared, things were back to normal.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#110 OFFLINE   mnordberg

mnordberg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

Update: Nevermind - didn't look in the obvious place of the filter list for "Ready to Download" filter.

New feature request:

Would love to have DVR Playlist, On this PC and a new option that says "Ready for Download". Right now you have to hover over the download button on each show and if it says "Prepare", then it has to do the transcoding and download. If it says "download" it is already done and just needs to be downloaded. Knowing the state of the show is important in it determines how long it will take and with 2 people in the house picking shows, I don't know for sure what has and hasn't been done easily.

Edited by mnordberg, 12 October 2011 - 06:12 AM.

#111 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

I am also having issues on my Windows 7 PC. I meet all the requirments and everthing is hooked up properly. Nomad works on my Iphone and I have downloaded 3 shows but still cannot open Nomad on my PC. Keep getting the same message that the device cannot be activated that PCCampbell and others are receiving. No real help yet via the techincal forum on directv.com. Hope for a resolution soon.

All is working fine now. Whatever D* did it worked!

Edited by kwasnicka, 13 October 2011 - 05:31 AM.
update:

Directv customer since 1996.

#112 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

New feature request:

Would love to have DVR Playlist, On this PC and a new option that says "Ready for Download". Right now you have to hover over the download button on each show and if it says "Prepare", then it has to do the transcoding and download. If it says "download" it is already done and just needs to be downloaded. Knowing the state of the show is important in it determines how long it will take and with 2 people in the house picking shows, I don't know for sure what has and hasn't been done easily.

May not be understanding you correctly, but you know there's a "Ready To Download" filter you can apply to the playlist that only displays shows already transcoded, right?

Attached Thumbnails

• RTD.jpg

/steve

#113 OFFLINE   mnordberg

mnordberg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

May not be understanding you correctly, but you know there's a "Ready To Download" filter you can apply to the playlist that only displays shows already transcoded, right?

Ouch, you are right as i used the filter option when i first start and didn't see the ready to download option, just by show type. I looked everywhere but the obvious place.

#114 OFFLINE   paulterp

paulterp

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

Also having the Windows 7 "4-2010-1" error. Supposed to be getting a call back from support this afternoon.

Maybe we can track down something common to all our configurations?
Win7 - SP1 (64bit)
Dual Monitors (caused a problem with Directv2pc, but don't think it would here)
VMWare (tried turning it off, no affect)
Microsoft Security Essentials (tried turning it off, no affect)
Windows Firewall Enabled (tried turning it off, no affect)
Internet Provider : Comcast (have secondary provider, tried it as well and no affect)

#115 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,647 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

As others have noted, the intial login/startup is a bit slow.

Also, it seems that it will only allow one client at a time - at least while transferring content to another client

Poster art isn't appearing on my iPad, but is on the iPhone. However the poster art on the iPhone isn't appearing while I'm away from home.

#116 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Also, it seems that it will only allow one client at a time - at least while transferring content to another client

You mean for transferring converted files, right? Otherwise, I've had all four of my clients up and running and communicating new download requests at the same time. It's just that only one client at a time can actually copy a file.
/steve

#117 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,647 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

You mean for transferring converted files, right? Otherwise, I've had all four of my clients up and running and communicating new download requests at the same time. It's just that only one client at a time can actually copy a file.

Right, I was transferring previously converted content from nomad to the iPhone and while that was taking place tried to login with the iPad. The iPad wasn't able to access nomad while the iPhone was downloading converted content from the nomad.

#118 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

The iPad wasn't able to access nomad while the iPhone was downloading converted content from the nomad.

Interesting. That's not the case here. I started up a transfer of some overnight transcodes to my iPod and while the copy was in progress, I fired-up the app on the iPad. Took about 90 seconds, but it did finally load.

Just noticed I also had an idle PC client running at the same time as the above.
/steve

#119 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Same issue here. Iphone works fine; PC not at all. Brand new computer; Windows 7; fast processor, etc. D* is clueless on how to fix.

#120 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,340 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Also having the Windows 7 "4-2010-1" error. Supposed to be getting a call back from support this afternoon.

Maybe we can track down something common to all our configurations?
Win7 - SP1 (64bit)
Dual Monitors (caused a problem with Directv2pc, but don't think it would here)
VMWare (tried turning it off, no affect)
Microsoft Security Essentials (tried turning it off, no affect)
Windows Firewall Enabled (tried turning it off, no affect)
Internet Provider : Comcast (have secondary provider, tried it as well and no affect)

You might see if there's an updated driver for your video card. I had a severely oversized screen upon startup with my dual monitors (nvidia geforce 7100) but normal with the stock Win7 driver. Back to oversized with their dedicated driver. With all the DRM crap, anything is possible.

And, be careful, Directv2pc is certainly fragile with drivers!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall