Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV nomad PC version 1.01.40 and iOS version 1.0: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
711 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   thekaus

thekaus

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

I got rid of the 2-0-2 error with a complete uninstall and reinstall, but it isn't able to process a file. If i try to prepare a new show i get "Waiting to Prepare" and if I try to download a prepared show I get "Waiting to Download" with no process ever made.

I tried a couple different shows from 358 CRNT on the iPad and they won't play at all on it. How can the channel cause an unplayable condition? Doesn't the Nomad convert everything into the same format?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

I got rid of the 2-0-2 error with a complete uninstall and reinstall, but it isn't able to process a file. If i try to prepare a new show i get "Waiting to Prepare" and if I try to download a prepared show I get "Waiting to Download" with no process ever made.

I tried a couple different shows from 358 CRNT on the iPad and they won't play at all on it. How can the channel cause an unplayable condition? Doesn't the Nomad convert everything into the same format?

Well, I am sure it tries to! I did the test for a show on CRNT and it won't even start with the play button. I can scrub, but no play, no audio.

My bet is that there's something in the codecs used by that content provider that's mostly- but not all- compatible with the encoding that the iPad can properly transmit.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#163 OFFLINE   AndrewSi

AndrewSi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

I don't think the pc Sw problem has anything to do with this particular issue- are you sure the nomad box wasn't busy converting and/or downloading something else already, maybe for an iPod/iPhone? And have you tried resetting the Nomad?

#164 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Is the only way to remove a program once it's loaded onto the nomad device to either delete it from your DVR, or after it's downloaded to a device?

Is there an option to delete once it's "prepared", but not "downloaded"?

#165 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

Is the only way to remove a program once it's loaded onto the nomad device to either delete it from your DVR, or after it's downloaded to a device?

Is there an option to delete once it's "prepared", but not "downloaded"?

Selective delete of an item in the Nomad hardware (without DVR deletion) is not available.

#166 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Is this a Parental Controls thing (see below)? I have none set, and never have, so I'm not sure why anything on my DVR playlist would be blocked.

The show is "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", which is TV-MA-L-S-V, according to its HR info.

Attached Thumbnails

• Nomad 1015-1.jpg

/steve

#167 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'm almost done downloading a folder of 11 transcoded shows, but the status window is showing only 1 show has downloaded, while in fact it's currently downloading #11 of 11.

Attached Thumbnails

• Nomad 1015-2.jpg
  • Nomad 1015-3.jpg

/steve

#168 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

I'm almost done downloading a folder of 11 transcoded shows, but the status window is showing only 1 show has downloaded, while in fact it's currently downloading #11 of 11.

Your second photo shows a check box next to Video Downloaded. How long between the two photos? Wondering if it was a time delay to catch up to the status?

#169 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

Is this a Parental Controls thing (see below)? I have none set, and never have, so I'm not sure why anything on my DVR playlist would be blocked.

The show is "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", which is TV-MA-L-S-V, according to its HR info.

If you tap on Download, will it download?

#170 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Good question. I'll give you a conditional "yes". :)

I just told it to download, and it's showing "preparing" and the status light is "pulsing", like it normally does when transcoding. Just need to confirm it transfers and lets me play it back (and hopefully names it correctly).
/steve

#171 OFFLINE   dengland

dengland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Really on the fence with the purchase of the Nomad....

When I retired the HDVR2s (which were great for recording video, both network and "cable" channels, to be transfered to an iPad) I bought an ATSC tuner card for the 3 or 4 TV series that I record and primarily watch on flights between the coasts. My video workflow is to use VideoReDo to edit out commercials, name the files in such a way that I can tell the order in which to watch them, transcode them to m4v, load them in to itunes and then sync. Obviously, a bit of work.

Non-network shows had had to be acquired in a "different" manner.

Nomad is clearly a huge win for me with any non-network content. However, the scrubber bar seems to be a little awkward for trying to do anthing precise to go past the commercials on the recorded network TV.

For those of you that had been in similar situations and now have a Nomad, do I just need to get over it with repect to the commercials because the rest of the benefits out weigh the issue?

Thanks for your thoughts.

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

#172 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

Nomad is clearly a huge win for me with any non-network content. However, the scrubber bar seems to be a little awkward for trying to do anthing precise to go past the commercials on the recorded network TV.

For those of you that had been in similar situations and now have a Nomad, do I just need to get over it with repect to the commercials because the rest of the benefits out weigh the issue?

I hear you about the scrubber bar. Are you aware if you "pull down" on the bar, you can scrub with more precision, at half-, quarter- or fine-speed? That helps a lot, once you get used to it.

That said, would be helpful if DirecTV can call up the 30 second rewind button, like HBO GO does with the iOS player. Just my .02.

Nomad does not support OTA recordings, BTW, if that's how you record them on the HR2x's.
/steve

#173 OFFLINE   dengland

dengland

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

I am embarrassed to say that I did not know about the scrubber bar options. Thanks. I agree the 30 second button would help.

I have enough boxes that don't have OTA for the CBS, FOX, etc., so I am good from that aspect.

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

#174 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

I am embarrassed to say that I did not know about the scrubber bar options.

I had an iPod for about 4 months before I discovered them, so don't be too embarassed! :P
/steve

#175 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Good question. I'll give you a conditional "yes". :)

I just told it to download, and it's showing "preparing" and the status light is "pulsing", like it normally does when transcoding. Just need to confirm it transfers and lets me play it back (and hopefully names it correctly).

Well it not only prepared and copied, but it's now displaying the correct show name (see below)! I did have to quit the client and restart it, for the proper name to show, however.

Attached Thumbnails

• Nomad 1015-4.jpg

/steve

#176 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

How long between the two photos?

Just the amount of time it took to switch views on the client.

It took a client quit and restart to get the screen to refresh properly, BTW.
/steve

#177 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

nomad has recorded 35 programs. I was successful at loading 9 to my iPad, but it will not load any more. There are three more programs I've marked to download. When I load the client on my iPad, it says downloading, but the download doesn't finish. It skips to the next program, and does the same. After all three try, it loses contact with nomad, and I get the "Loading" screen. Eventually it times out, and I get the "Could not connect to nomad" message. After a few minutes, it reconnects, and starts the whole process over again. I was able to load the same programs on my laptop with the nomad client, so I think the programs are OK.

I tried rebooting nomad and the iPad, but no luck. Any ideas?

Setup

Ken

#178 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

nomad has recorded 35 programs. I was successful at loading 9 to my iPad, but it will not load any more. There are three more programs I've marked to download. When I load the client on my iPad, it says downloading, but the download doesn't finish. It skips to the next program, and does the same. After all three try, it loses contact with nomad, and I get the "Loading" screen. Eventually it times out, and I get the "Could not connect to nomad" message. After a few minutes, it reconnects, and starts the whole process over again. I was able to load the same programs on my laptop with the nomad client, so I think the programs are OK.

I tried rebooting nomad and the iPad, but no luck. Any ideas?

What's the free space on the iPad?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#179 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

What's the free space on the iPad?

The About screen on the iPad shows 36.6 GB free. Unlike the PC client, the iPad System Info doesn't show device space available and used.

Setup

Ken

#180 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

I think I found the problem. The three programs were really two shows. Both shows were set to Auto. I turned off Auto, and I was able to load the programs manually. One of the programs had the exact same recording of the same show. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Setup

Ken

spam firewall