Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Antenna Channel Guide

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjf150

mjf150

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

We have a 722k DVR from Dish Network. According to Dish, local channels are not available at my location, despite the fact that both of the neighbors to the north and to south have locals. So, we relented and hooked up an OTA to the receiver, which allows us to view the locals. However, there is no information in the guide menu. It simply says, "Digital Service". Is there a way to make the program information show up in the guide? FYI: We live in the Lake Charles, LA area.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcadss

rcadss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

You have to subscribe to your locals for the guide to show up for OTA locals. Silly but true.

#3 OFFLINE   mjf150

mjf150

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

OK, let me see if I understand this correctly: I need to subscribe to the local channels, that Dish Network customer service reps say I do not qualify for, in order to get the local channel program guide? Will they let me subscribe to the local channels, even though I am supposedly not eligible for them. Will I have to then pay for those channels even though they say I am not eligible for them?

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Every market in the CONUS is now carried on Dish. It may not be the market you want, but you should qualify for one market.

Your Zip Code is how they determine what DMA you qualify for.

OTOH I recall a market that had spot beam issues (The Williamsport portion of the Wilkes Barre/Scranton DMA).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

Basically... if you want any EPG for OTA you have to subscribe to locals through Dish.

IF they do not carry locals for your DMA, then you can't subscribe to them... but I thought Dish had locals for all DMAs now... not necessarily all HD locals, but at least SD locals.

And if you subscribe to those locals, you will get at least some of the HD OTA channel EPG data.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

Lake Charles, LA is carried in HD from 77 along with guide data for for several sub-channels.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   mjf150

mjf150

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Lake Charles, LA is carried in HD from 77 along with guide data for for several sub-channels.

???
Where do you find the guide data for the channels?
What is 77?

Yes, Dish does provide locals for nearly every DMA, including Lake Charles. However, they told us that it is a spot beam issue. They claim that is why the neighbors to the North and South of us have the locals and we do not.

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Source: http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html
77° is one of the slots in the Eastern Arc, the others are 61.5° and 72.7°. You need all 3 to get all your channels.
As for the claim, Dish doesn't have any donut-shaped spot beams.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

Lake Charles is shown as being on a ConUS beam.

http://www.satellite...ake Charles, LA
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

???
Where do you find the guide data for the channels?
What is 77?

Yes, Dish does provide locals for nearly every DMA, including Lake Charles. However, they told us that it is a spot beam issue. They claim that is why the neighbors to the North and South of us have the locals and we do not.

You a second opinion. One of the DIRT team should be able to help you. You need an Eastern Arc dish which is where 77 is found. If you were given a western arc dish that is why you are not getting your locals.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

mjf150,

If you don't subscribe to locals provided by us, you will not get the EPG information on OTA local feeds. If you could provide your account information in a PM to me, I can see the options that are available to you. Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Since Dish does carry Lake Charles locals, if you subscribe to locals ( everyone is supposed to get them whether they want them or not) the guide data will be present for most of the OTA channels you receive.

It sounds like you got some erroneous information, you should be able to subscribe to LC locals.

Edited by Jim5506, 13 October 2011 - 03:05 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

Go online and see if you can add the locals, however your dish needs to be looking at the correct satellite. 77W

#14 OFFLINE   buntdp

buntdp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

I live in and receive locals from Lake Charles, La. However dish does not carry FOX in my area and I do not get guide data for FOX 29. Just shows digital service.

#15 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

The alternative Fox channel that displays "Digital Service" is due to the fact Fox is not provided by us in your area. To get the guide information for alternative channel, the major network feed (Fox, in this case) must be provided by us. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I live in and receive locals from Lake Charles, La. However dish does not carry FOX in my area and I do not get guide data for FOX 29. Just shows digital service.

#16 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Always remember after you scan for your local over the air channels to do a"check switch" to repopulate your guide information.;)

#17 OFFLINE   buntdp

buntdp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Why is FOX not provided? Been waiting for almost a year. Directv is carrying FOX29 but not DISH. Thank goodness for competition.

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Carriage fees dispute.

Just the opposite situation here, Dish has the local FOX station but, last I heard, DirecTV does not.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#19 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

If you don't subscribe to locals provided by us, you will not get the EPG information on OTA local feeds.

I have the VIP222K receiver and the optional OTA module installed. I subscribe to the locals in this city. When I plug in the coax from the roof antenna into the OTA module, the EPG guide works fine for most of the antenna locals.

Now, the question..... I can get a higher gain outside antenna and aim it to another city to pick up their different local networks. Will the DISH EPG show guide information for those distant networks from the roof antenna along with the subscribed DISH locals?

#20 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Chances are it won't. Alternate local channel EPG information is provided along with the local information you receive from us. If these other channels (alternative) are not part of your local package, the EPG information won't be included. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

I have the VIP222K receiver and the optional OTA module installed. I subscribe to the locals in this city. When I plug in the coax from the roof antenna into the OTA module, the EPG guide works fine for most of the antenna locals.

Now, the question..... I can get a higher gain outside antenna and aim it to another city to pick up their different local networks. Will the DISH EPG show guide information for those distant networks from the roof antenna along with the subscribed DISH locals?

spam firewall