Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Antenna Channel Guide

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

There are plenty of posts from users who do get EPG for OTA channels from other than their own market.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

As long as Dish carries those channels OR has the EPG data up linked, then you should have it for OTA even out of your market.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

As long as Dish carries those channels OR has the EPG data up linked, then you should have it for OTA even out of your market.

Thanks... I did not want to buy a better amplified antenna if I could not get the guide to the 'other' area locals. The other city is on DISH as a locals area, but is about 75 miles away. With a good antenna, I should be able to pick them up. After buying the OTA module, it did seem a little silly paying DISH for the locals in my area and getting the same channels off the roof antenna.

#24 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Chances are it won't. Alternate local channel EPG information is provided along with the local information you receive from us. If these other channels (alternative) are not part of your local package, the EPG information won't be included. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

I can testify that you WILL get any out of market local station guide data if you successfully scan the distant stations into your DVR's OTA receiver (if Dish had the data , i.e. they carry that station to that other local market). I get the guide data for all the Youngstown locals, even though only one of them comes in 24/7. The data shows even when the signal is too weak to watch.

In the past I even had a Pittsburgh station in my EPG.

The only caveat regards virtual channel numbers. If a distant station has the same virtual channel number as a local station you will lose the OTA version of local station in your guide. To put it another way you can only have one ch 8-01. Once a different 8-01 is scanned in the older 8-01 goes away. This is true even if the actual RF frequencies are different.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#25 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

I can testify that you WILL get any out of market local station guide data if you successfully scan the distant stations into your DVR's OTA receiver (if Dish had the data , i.e. they carry that station to that other local market). I get the guide data for all the Youngstown locals, even though only one of them comes in 24/7. The data shows even when the signal is too weak to watch.

DirecTV could really use a lesson or two from DISH on how to properly manage OTA services.

The only caveat regards virtual channel numbers. If a distant station has the same virtual channel number as a local station you will lose the OTA version of local station in your guide. To put it another way you can only have one ch 8-01. Once a different 8-01 is scanned in the older 8-01 goes away. This is true even if the actual RF frequencies are different.

That is a quirk. Why not tie in the internal software what can show up in the guide to the station identifier info, not the virtual channel info?

#26 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

DirecTV could really use a lesson or two from DISH on how to properly manage OTA services.

That is a quirk. Why not tie in the internal software what can show up in the guide to the station identifier info, not the virtual channel info?

That "quirk" happens on CECB converters as well. What is needed is the option to display the actual RF frequency instead of the virtual channel number. That does happen automatically when a weak signal gets scanned in. In my virtual ch 8 scenario I actually had 8-1 from my local city and 8-2 from a different city in the guide (until I deleted the distant 8-2).

#27 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

So what happens if a local affiliate drops out of Dish? Our local Fox and CBS affiliate is in a contract dispute with Dish (details in another thread) and threatening to remove their permission for Dish to carry them. If that happens, will I now no longer be able to get the guide info for their OTA station?

#28 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Your guide for that station will say "digital service".
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#29 OFFLINE   TheShepherd

TheShepherd

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yes for the channels carried by Dish in that area. I have Cheyenne locals and OTA pickup Denver and have channel guide for the Denver channels but not for some other Colorado channels that dish does not carry.

#30 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Your guide for that station will say "digital service".

If there is a contract dispute you OTA guide data may contain a plea to contact your local station. That's if they keep the station up with a barker slide/test card regarding the dispute.

#31 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

One more thing, it appears the out of market OTA channel must also be carried on one of the satellites you get, or else you don't get the guide.

#32 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

One more thing, it appears the out of market OTA channel must also be carried on one of the satellites you get, or else you don't get the guide.

Not entirely true. If you happen to get some of my locals OTA from out of the market you will get the MeTV and THIS guide data, neither are carried on the satellite.

#33 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Not entirely true. If you happen to get some of my locals OTA from out of the market you will get the MeTV and THIS guide data, neither are carried on the satellite.

On the contrary, I do not get EPG info for MeTV or THiS even though I get them OTA. :nono2:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#34 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I get WCIU and all their subs - Utoo, MeTV, MeToo and ThisTV from OTA. The EPG has data for everything but ThisTV, which just lists Digital Service.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

On the contrary, I do not get EPG info for MeTV or THiS even though I get them OTA. :nono2:

Depends on your market and if Dish links them properly... That's why there are stickies at the top of this forum for reporting and mother for discussing specific EPG issues like this. Dish had asked for info, though they don't seem to be quick about following up these days for EPG problems.

I do have MeTV and THiS EPG data in my market.

#36 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

It depends on the specific station you are receiving. For example I get OOM guide data for all the Youngstown OH local stations. In addition to all the .01 channels, I also get .2 guide data for a CW, Fox and MyNetwork subchannels. I also get .2 PBS guide but the data is incorrectly listed as a duplicate of the .01 station. Ironically the OOM PBS station is a duplicate of one in my DMA where the same .02 channel has the correct data.

In my DMA I get Me TV, THIS, and several PBS subchannels in my EPG but not Antenna TV.

Dish needs to make a new years resolution to correct the guide data issues we report. Some of the subchannel nets are interesting and worthy of DVR recording. Unfortunately "digital service" does not make DVR recording a pleasant experience.

#37 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Today, I used Windows Media Center to set recordings for MeTV, and I was reminded of all this. I'm paying $10/month for the DVR, and Dish can't provide me with the listings that Microsoft gives me for nothing. Where's the smilie for a shaking fist? Darn you, Dish!
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#38 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

WUAB recently added Bounce, replacing THIS on 43.2, now THIS is 43.3. I used to get guide data for THIS on 43.2, I now get Bounce guide data on 43.2 and "digital service" for 43.3. I had to manually rename 43.3.

WUAB and WOIO are operated by Raycom. They seem to have a better relationship with Dish, as the last new sub-channel they added MeTV had guide data from day one (as was the case with THIS when it first appeared on 43.2).

#39 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

We have a translator station where I am and until recently the guide info was fine. They changed something and now all I get is "Digital Service" I contacted DISH and they said if they don't carry a channel then the OTA guide info isn't available. (They don't carry the translator station, only the original one that I can't pick up OTA.) I really don't believe this, since I have read the people get a lot of sub-channels (not carried by DISH) and do have proper guide information for those.

Is there any hope for me? How do you know if the guide info is up linked?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

You could search this forum and go back through through old uplink reports but that could get tedious... If your local has changed something recently then it could be true that they are not up linked to Dish or at least EPG data isn't.

Unfortunately it can be like pulling teeth to get straight answers.

spam firewall