Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Antenna Channel Guide

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

At first a couple of people were emailing me from the station and one from DISH was. Then all that went quiet. So I filled out a form on the tech support web page, and that's were they said if they don't carry the channel, then the guide info ins't available. So, it kind of went from where they were working with me on both ends and wanted to solve the problem, to tough luck, customer fairly quickly. And this guide info was there for YEARS. It is very frustrating to lose it and not be able to set timers, etc.

Jeff

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jc8097654

jc8097654

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

I recently became a DISH customer and have a VIP722k with an OTA module to get HD. I subscribe to all of the local channels that Dish carries in SD. Unfortunately, the guide info is populating for all OTA channels except CBS 19 which is carried by Dish, any idea why it is only saying Digital Service? I am in the the Tyler, TX market.

#43 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

KYTX is provided by us so you should be getting the EPG information. Did it just begin displaying Digital Service or has it always shown this? Does it show the same information on channel 8881? Please let me know. Thanks.

I recently became a DISH customer and have a VIP722k with an OTA module to get HD. I subscribe to all of the local channels that Dish carries in SD. Unfortunately, the guide info is populating for all OTA channels except CBS 19 which is carried by Dish, any idea why it is only saying Digital Service? I am in the the Tyler, TX market.

#44 OFFLINE   jc8097654

jc8097654

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

KYTX is provided by us so you should be getting the EPG information. Did it just begin displaying Digital Service or has it always shown this? Does it show the same information on channel 8881? Please let me know. Thanks.

8881-KYTX is showing guide information and has been since my service began. 019-01 KYTX OTA channel has been showing digital service since it came online when I setup the OTA module last week. All of the other local OTA channels populated EPG information with no problem. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

#45 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

This subject frustrates and depresses me.

I have complained/reported my problems in this forum, to the stations, Dish Network, and TV Guide. All I ever get is a runaround.

Yet I still have half of my OTA channels showing "Digital Service" or worse, completely wrong EPG info.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#46 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

Please provide your receiver number in a PM to me so I can submit a trouble report about you not getting the programming information for this channel. Thanks.

8881-KYTX is showing guide information and has been since my service began. 019-01 KYTX OTA channel has been showing digital service since it came online when I setup the OTA module last week. All of the other local OTA channels populated EPG information with no problem. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

#47 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

E* needs to have an OTA guide "Team" to sort this mess out. They also need to educate ALL their staff so the bogus comment "If we don't carry the channel on the satellite you will not get guide data" will no longer be uttered.

I can testify that:
A: You may get OOM OTA guide data
B: You may get subchannel guide data for networks not carried
C: What you get or don't get varies by DMA

A dedicated team could get this fixed. We are paying for DVR service so this issue should not get swept under the rug!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#48 OFFLINE   79MI

79MI

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

About 6 months ago I noticed the guide data was missing for my local NBC station (WEYI, OTA channel 25.1/25.2). Both channels now list programming as "digital service". Programming data had been available since they started broadcasting in digital, but disappeared for some reason. All other local stations have guide data, both SD and HD.

I've contacted the station regarding the issue, they assure me Dish is receiving the data from them, I've also confirmed they are broadcasting it by connecting my TV directly to the antenna. The SD feed from Dish also includes guide data.

I've made multiple calls to Dish, and chatted with a supervisor regarding the issue. They opened a trouble ticket about 2 months ago, but I haven't heard anything back.

Should I eliminate the OTA antenna, and have a 3rd dish installed to receive HD locals? I'm worried I may lose my locals during inclement weather, not to mention the potential drop in picture quality. All of my OTA locals have 85-100% reception.

It's strange that there are so many people dealing with this issue, seems it would've been more prevalent back when digital broadcasts were first coming online (which it wasn't).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#49 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Dish doesn't use the guide info from the Networks, they use an outside contractor for it. The problem would be either from the contractor or Dish and not from your local network. You are paying for the HD locals, Dish may install the dish for you at hardly any charge. I have both OTA and Dish supplied HD locals to back each other up. Sometimes I loose Dish and sometimes OTA goes out for me due to the distance to the towers.

#50 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

About 6 months ago I noticed the guide data was missing for my local NBC station (WEYI, OTA channel 25.1/25.2). Both channels now list programming as "digital service". Programming data had been available since they started broadcasting in digital, but disappeared for some reason. All other local stations have guide data, both SD and HD.

I've contacted the station regarding the issue, they assure me Dish is receiving the data from them, I've also confirmed they are broadcasting it by connecting my TV directly to the antenna. The SD feed from Dish also includes guide data.

I've made multiple calls to Dish, and chatted with a supervisor regarding the issue. They opened a trouble ticket about 2 months ago, but I haven't heard anything back.

Should I eliminate the OTA antenna, and have a 3rd dish installed to receive HD locals? I'm worried I may lose my locals during inclement weather, not to mention the potential drop in picture quality. All of my OTA locals have 85-100% reception.

It's strange that there are so many people dealing with this issue, seems it would've been more prevalent back when digital broadcasts were first coming online (which it wasn't).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Are you getting this channel in SD over the satellite? If so the problem may be with a change made by the station to their OTA signal's PSIP data stream. while Dish receivers do not use PSIP for guide data, it does use a part of it for channel identification.

Have you tried deleting the OTA channel from your DVR and then rescanning it back into the guide? If not try it and then do a check switch to force a new download of the EPG. You may be pleasantly surprised.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#51 OFFLINE   79MI

79MI

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Are you getting this channel in SD over the satellite? If so the problem may be with a change made by the station to their OTA signal's PSIP data stream. while Dish receivers do not use PSIP for guide data, it does use a part of it for channel identification.

Have you tried deleting the OTA channel from your DVR and then rescanning it back into the guide? If not try it and then do a check switch to force a new download of the EPG. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I am receiving the SD channel over the satellite. I also asked the station director about any changes a while back, he said nothing has been changed, and that Dish should be receiving their OTA guide data. Now that I know the terminology, I may bring it up again.

As for deleting the channel, I cleared all OTA channels twice, have also run a check-switch...and replaced my receiver due to the inevitable "622 reset cycle" issue. Still says "digital service" for the OTA channels from that station... Bummer.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

#52 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Please provide your receiver number to me in a PM, along with the channel information, and I will send the information to our programming department to check into this for you. Thanks.

I am receiving the SD channel over the satellite. I also asked the station director about any changes a while back, he said nothing has been changed, and that Dish should be receiving their OTA guide data. Now that I know the terminology, I may bring it up again.

As for deleting the channel, I cleared all OTA channels twice, have also run a check-switch...and replaced my receiver due to the inevitable "622 reset cycle" issue. Still says "digital service" for the OTA channels from that station... Bummer.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...