Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WARNING: Tera Nova and House viewers

standard definition

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

Are there other games this week that might run long & affect show times?

Yes -- there are afternoon games scheduled for Fox Wednesday and, if necessary, Thursday. The prime-time programming on the schedule for both nights is "The X Factor."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thanks, I'll set the recordings to go long just in case.

#23 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

I didn't see this until today, so I don't have TN... :mad:

I usually watch "The X-Factor" live, so I should be good later this week. :)

~Alan

#24 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

ENCORE OF "Terra Nova" Episode "WHAT REMAINS" SCHEDULED TO AIR SATURDAY, OCT. 15 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) ON FOX unless again pre-empted by sports. Also available on-line now.

http://www.thefutonc.../20111011fox02/
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

I didn't see this until today, so I don't have TN... :mad:

I usually watch "The X-Factor" live, so I should be good later this week. :)

~Alan

Bummer...I know how much you like Terra Nova.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

ENCORE OF "Terra Nova" Episode "WHAT REMAINS" SCHEDULED TO AIR SATURDAY, OCT. 15 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) ON FOX unless again pre-empted by sports. Also available on-line now.

http://www.thefutonc.../20111011fox02/

Thanks for the heads up.
What it says is "FOX will rebroadcast the episode this Saturday if no Game 6 of the ALCS"
So if anyone who watches ACLS (whatever that is) would so kind to post whether or not there is a game 6 on that night, thanks in advance.

#27 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

My wife caught it, and extended the recording to 2 hours, but ... it seems to have been corrupted. It won't play it back. I think we recorded OTA. Maybe a bug in extending and ota? :-(
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#28 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thank goodness for HuluPlus and a WDTV Live Hub. Watched it on the big screen. :lol:
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

Well I caught Terra Nova because I record Terra Nova and House but I missed out on House and can't find a rebroadcast.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   TheDurk

TheDurk

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up.
What it says is "FOX will rebroadcast the episode this Saturday if no Game 6 of the ALCS"
So if anyone who watches ACLS (whatever that is) would so kind to post whether or not there is a game 6 on that night, thanks in advance.

Well, since Detroit won last night, a Game 6 WILL happen on Saturday. So, unless there is news of a different time, I guess there is no rebroadcast. That would mean it's the internet or nothing. And my recording of the baseball game stopped 15 minutes into TN, even with 3 hours padding.

My computer plays to my big screen, so it's not too bad.
See My Setup

#31 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Well I caught Terra Nova because I record Terra Nova and House but I missed out on House and can't find a rebroadcast.

If you are a "House" fan, I'd strongly recommend you watch the premier via the internet before watching the next episode.

Edited by phrelin, 15 October 2011 - 11:15 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#32 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

If you are a "House" fan, I'd strong recommend you watch the premier via the internet before watching the next episode.

I already watched the premier, it's the second episode that was missed because of the ballgame.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#33 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Well, since Detroit won last night, a Game 6 WILL happen on Saturday. So, unless there is news of a different time, I guess there is no rebroadcast. That would mean it's the internet or nothing. And my recording of the baseball game stopped 15 minutes into TN, even with 3 hours padding.

My computer plays to my big screen, so it's not too bad.

Is there any possibility of a weather event to give a bit of hope?

#34 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

Sorry Fox, I will continue to record the series, But if I cannot watch the 3rd episode then you can s*ck it and I am out. Choose you battles when putting a new show on the line for an old sport.
That is twice this year I question your judgment, first was AMW.
Even Netflix has the balls to acknowledge a mistake and suck it up. Come on Fox, show some stones man.

Angry old man rant finished

#35 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

I tried to watch it online and push to a smaller TV, but bigger than a computer monitor. Actually got it working, but, fox doesn't want this show to make it. The feed was horrible. It would not go full screen. When I would try to force it, it went back to small video in a browser and forced me to watch the same 3 commercials over and over. Grrrr! Once I got it full screen, it would have been playing while the commercials were on and I missed some. Tried twice to rewind, and it played the commercials again! Now I am just pissed! Gave up and tried to just watch what was left. The audio was about 10 seconds ahead of the action. You've got to be kidding me! Then it randomly played another commercial. Sure enough, the audio was right in sync. Blow me Fox! In the end it was so choppy and out of sync, I gave up. Clicked the help button. It said they'd get back to me in 3 days! WTF? 3 days?

Bye bye fox.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#36 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

The lost episode "instinct" is recording right now on Fox. Luckily I had my dvr set to "both".

aww, phooey, that is not the missed one. "What Remains" is the missed one.

nevermind

Edited by armophob, 05 November 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#37 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

The frustration here is palpable. As I noted elsewhere:

If I were a producer I'd be reluctant to turn my show over to Fox without a huge penalty clause for failure to air on an agreed-upon schedule.

Today Robert Seidman of TVbytheNumbers downgraded both "Terra Nova" and "House":

Yes it was Halloween, and yes the baseball scheduling wreaked havoc on Fox shows, but I've still downgraded Terra Nova and House to the bubble anyway. Is that fair? Maybe not, but the goal of Bubble Watch isn't to be fair, it's to predict what happens by/in May and I think those decisions could go either way.

Even if Terra Nova bounces back a bit it's reportedly a very expensive show. OK ratings + very expensive isn't a great combo. House's ratings are already OK and definitely more OK than Terra Nova's, but it's in its eighth season and expensive as a result. I can definitely see House being renewed for a ninth season, but with only average ratings renewal isn't a slam dunk.

I'm not sure about a "House" ninth season. From a recent story:

This might be House’s final season. Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly told reporters last summer that Laurie, reportedly in the final year of his contract, and the show’s producers “are mulling it over,” and a decision likely wouldn’t be made until this month.

“My sense is this is a show that wants to stay creatively vibrant and go out strong, and not limp along for four more years as a vestige of what it was,” Reilly said.

"Terra Nova" is in a poor situation. Fox considers it "family entertainment" at the 8:00 pm slot. So, of course, they screw with its time because of a baseball overrun, don't try to fix it by delaying the episode to the next showing, then keep the show off for awhile, returning it on Halloween Night which assures that an 8:00 family show will lose viewers.

And, of course, they couldn't delay that one episode because Fox is dead set on having the season (show?) end on Monday, December 19. Me, I would have gambled and had the one hour season finale on December 26 when the competition likely would not have as strong a pull.

NOTE: Earlier this week Advertising Age's Social Media popularity story noted:

This week the ratings of the Steven Spielberg-produced dinosaur time-travel drama "Terra Nova" got doubly dinged: its episode on Monday came after a one-week baseball-imposed hiatus and also fell on Halloween (traditionally not a huge night for TV-watching). It's not a surprise that it has a sizable social-media footprint -- it is, after all, a Steven Spielberg-produced dinosaur time-travel drama -- but this should have been a bigger ratings hit for Fox given its cost. And arguably its social-media popularity should be higher too, given that its buzz is actually lower than that of a newer, and much more niche-y, show, the suffocatingly dark and perverse "American Horror Story," which is on track to be FX's highest-rated first-season show ever.

Edited by phrelin, 06 November 2011 - 05:02 PM.
Added the note

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#38 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

The missed episode is on at 9 after Cops. "What Remains"

spam firewall