Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Belo agrement expires NOV 1st at midnight/Resolved

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

I was very surprised when I punched in our Belo station's channel number (13-1) and that message popped up! The only way to get rid of the message is to go channel up/down and then back to 13-1...

Do you normally have to enter the "-1" on your local channel 13? We use 8 w/o the "-" to get our local ABC station. If I wasn't looking at the guide, I would have never selected channel 8-1.

From the link you provided, here are the list of cities affected:

Austin, TX; Boise, ID; Biloxi-Gulfport, MS; Charlotte, NC; Dallas-Fort Worth, TX; Houston, TX; Louisville, KY; New Orleans, LA; Norfolk-Newport News, VA; Phoenix, AZ: Portland, OR; San Antonio, TX; Seattle-Tacoma, WA; Spokane, WA; Saint Lois, MO; Tucson, AZ

HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

i am now starting to wonder if this is going to be like dish networks dispute last year that caused Northwest cable news to appear on dish in 5 local markets but not Portland (people say it has to do with KGW having Blazers games)

NWCN might very well be the sticking point in the negotiations. Since Belo was successful with Dish, I'll bet they want the same deal with DirecTV. I'd also bet that DirecTV's not interested.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#28 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Wasn't KING the same group that wanted a whopping 600% increase last year? Did DirecTV only secure a deal for 1 year?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#29 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

Wasn't KING the same group that wanted a whopping 600% increase last year? Did DirecTV only secure a deal for 1 year?

That was Northwest Broadcasting, which owns stations in Spokane and the Tri-Cities in Washington, and in Binghamton, NY.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

#30 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Thinking about this - is there a big loss of KGW right now?

NBA is on strike - so no Blazers

NBC is leading the pack in cancellations of new shows - there a few I watch, but not really too many.

NBC has Notre Dame college football and little else. So while I catch those games once in awhile, I can live without them. No team I follow is playing Notre Dame this season.

KGW news is slipping badly. I used to consider them #1, but they are badly slipping in quality. They still have Brenda Braxton, the best newscaster in Portland, but the rest I can do without. And they kicked Convery off the the traffic in the AM, over to KATU; I find Convery more entertaining than the newscasters themselves and followed him to KATU.

So what am I missing here. A few shows that, conceivably, I can pick up on Hulu, if necessary, I think. But that's $7.99, so doubtful I will do that for too long.

So, KGW is in a weak bargaining position here right now. If the Blazers were on then maybe they'd have some leverage.

But what I don't get is that IF Directv caves I end up paying MORE. I can't afford more right now. That's the point.

#31 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Our local Belo stations (the ABC affiliate) has been running advertisements for about a week, and just recently started a crawl during some of the more popular shows suggesting we contact D* and tell them to bend over and grab the ankles. Guess we are looking at another race to the wire and last second deal.

#32 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thinking about this - is there a big loss of KGW right now?

Sunday Night Football
TOTAL CHOICE Plus - HR22-100 , HR23-700
Sunday Ticket - Super Fan | MLB Extra Innings | NHL Center Ice | NBA League Pass

#33 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

I decided to just say scr*w it and bought an AM21 OTA tuner off ebay. I hope they figure it out, but at least one of my tvs will have access to ABC content should it go dark for a short period of time.

They will get this sorted out eventually. There's no question about that. They may get yanked for a short period, but it'll eventually get figured out.

Look at the cities involved... There's no change that Directv is going to let that many major cities lack a national network. And same with Belo - they will never permit long term a lack of presence on the 2nd largest provider.

#34 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

KGW ran an ad during their newscast warning DirecTV viewers of the deadline.

question: I live in Portland, and have a HR21-700 with an AM21 off-air receiver. If the satellite feed for KGW goes away, will I still be able to record the off-air signal via the AM21? Would they remove the off-air channel from the guide information as well?

This is my question as well.

OTA isn't going anywhere but the concern is if DIRECTV removes the OTA channel from their guide, the AM21 will no longer be able to tune the channel. This seems unlikely.

I think you stated it the best. They can remove it from our guide and the HR20-700 and AM-21 would no longer get the channels for recording. I still have the option to go to the TV tuner and get the channel, just can't record if they pull it out of the guide. :(

We went through this a while back with our local ABC station. Fortunately I have off-air reception as a backup, but it's likely they'll renegotiate before the deadline. I just wish the FCC or somebody could do something about these crazy continual carriage negotiations. Stupid.

I'm with you. This is a bunch of crap when it comes to local stations and the fact it is free over the air.
-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#35 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,779 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

When this has happened in the past, nobody's off-air reception was "blocked". I have my off-air antenna connected to one of my HD DVRs, so I'm ready to record the off-air signal if these negotiations go south. But these almost always get resolved at the last minute.

In the mean time, be sure to voice your concerns to both the local station, directly to Belo Broadcasting, and to DirecTV.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#36 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Sunday Night Football

OK, yep, that's about all they have. I rarely watch it. Sunday nights are crazy in the house getting read for Monday with the kids doing homework, I usually cook dinner for my wife on Sundays, etc. But I see your point.

My belief is this - I won't miss much.

#37 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

I fail to see why KHOU can justify charging Directv and its customers to receive its signal when the same signal is available for free OTA. KHOU wants the same compensation as channels that are available only through the satellite signal and that makes no sense to me. Unless KHOU can find a way to charge its OTA customers then it is unfair to charge those who receive the same signal by some other means.

I hope that Directv lets the contract expire since that should save Directv some money and will hurt KHOU because there will be less customers to support their advertising fees. I'll still get KHOU on OTA so no loss.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#38 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

I live in Houston and my local CBS station is owned by Belo. If I loose this station will I be able to watch the NFL games, that is normally on my local CBS station, on NFL Sunday Ticket. Because normally what ever game is shown on my local CBS station that game is blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket channels. I do subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.

#39 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

I was very surprised when I punched in our Belo station's channel number (13-1) and that message popped up! The only way to get rid of the message is to go channel up/down and then back to 13-1...

Hoepfully they'll come to terms.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#40 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,779 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

I live in Houston and my local CBS station is owned by Belo. If I loose this station will I be able to watch the NFL games, that is normally on my local CBS station, on NFL Sunday Ticket. Because normally what ever game is shown on my local CBS station that game is blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket channels. I do subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.

Excellent question. I'm guessing the answer is "no".
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#41 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

The exact question I came here to ask.

If the answer is that CBS games are not allowed, DirecTV better have some money to give to customers as many will not be happy about paying near $350 and not getting those games.

#42 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

If the answer is that CBS games are not allowed, DirecTV better have some money to give to customers as many will not be happy about paying near $350 and not getting those games.

Except that those customers are already paying that "near $350" for ST without those games. I doubt there's any contingency in the ST contract DirecTV has with the NFL for a retransmission consent dispute. It will be up to you to find another way to view your local affiliate to see those games. If DirecTV wants to issue a credit to customers on a case by case basis for the loss of CBS in your market, that's another story.

#43 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

If the game is shown on the local channel it won't be on the package. The local channel owns the rights to the game and is free to charge anyone to retransmit it.

#44 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Right. I guess I got a bit confused with exactly who showed each game.

I thought that if (making this city up) Denver's CBS contract was up and denver had a home game on TV, people around the country wouldnt be able to see the Denver game since the local was not showing it

Of course, I now get that the locals dont control who sees it nationally so my fault.

#45 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Only major loss is Sunday Night Football and the occasional interesting Notre Dame game. Though I'll be ticked if I miss some SNF Jets games because of this.

#46 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Belo owns CBS in San Antonio. Unfortunatly my older HD tv does not have a built in over the air tuner, and my SD tv does not have a digital to analog converter. I've never had the need because I was on TW for many many years until I switched to D*. I don't know if I'm willing to buy two over the air boxes and an antenna just to watch a few shows. We do have one new HD tv with an HD tuner.

I also wonder how well Belo would do in the ratings war and commercial revenue if D* subscribers would longer be able to watch them. As far as football, our Fox station shows the Cowboys and the NFL ticket shows the Saints.

#47 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

I wouldn't sweat it, I'd say it's very likely they work out a deal very quickly...

#48 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

A lot of the problem with greedy stations are the subrscribers themselves. A couple of years ago, Time Warner did not work out an agrement with the NFL network. Here in San Antonio, a lot of Cowboys fans were very upset because they would not be able to watch two of the Cowboys games. So many of them jumped ship, and signed on with Satelitte.

It seems the NFL network wanted a ridiculous amount of money for just eight games. NFL wanted it to be like ESPN where everyone gets it and pays for it, as to where TW wanted to include it in their sports package.

I'm wondering if they will pull a "Quien es mas macho (Who's got the bigger balls), and D* will pull out. I'm wondering who has more to lose. I'm guessing that subrscribers will pull out their antennas instead of boycotting Belo. If so, the broadcasters greed will continue and subrscribers will continue to have their rates raised every year and everytime a contract expires.

But hopefully they'll meet somewhere in the middle, and come to an agreement.

#49 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

A lot of the problem with greedy stations are the subrscribers themselves. A couple of years ago, Time Warner did not work out an agrement with the NFL network. Here in San Antonio, a lot of Cowboys fans were very upset because they would not be able to watch two of the Cowboys games. So many of them jumped ship, and signed on with Satelitte.

It seems the NFL network wanted a ridiculous amount of money for just eight games. NFL wanted it to be like ESPN where everyone gets it and pays for it, as to where TW wanted to include it in their sports package.

I'm wondering if they will pull a "Quien es mas macho (Who's got the bigger balls), and D* will pull out. I'm wondering who has more to lose. I'm guessing that subrscribers will pull out their antennas instead of boycotting Belo. If so, the broadcasters greed will continue and subrscribers will continue to have their rates raised every year and everytime a contract expires.

But hopefully they'll meet somewhere in the middle, and come to an agreement.

When Time Warner and Comcast swapped areas a few years ago, DFW became a TW cable area. I left TW cable and switched to satellite partially for the same reason, they dropped NFL Network. Not to mention no NHL Network or very much HD programming at the time. TW cable used the same, we are doing this for our subscribers, fighting the high cost propaganda.

In the DFW area, we will lose our ABC affiliate, which hardly impacts sports I mainly watch (NFL & NHL). Using my OTA DVR will be my solution for other shows we watch. Although I still prefer it doesn't happen, because its easier to have all recorded programs on my DIRECTV DVR.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#50 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

I agreed with TW on that NFL issue. I also agreed with them when they went against Sinclair, which owns the local Fox station, for the rights to HD broadcasting. I don't watch Fox much except for the Dallas Cowboys games during football season. Sinclair was a little smarter than Belo at that time. They would allow the analog transmissions on TW, but not the HD.

I wonder if Belo is thinking rationally. If D* subscribers pull out their antennas, D* doesn't have to pay Belo anything, and Belo loses out on whatever money they would have received from D*. That's one way to stop the locals from getting too greedy. UNless they own other channels that carry a lot of weight.

When Dallas, San Antonio hater Mark Cuban (owner Dallas Mavericks and former Dancing with the Stars competitor), got into a dispute with TW over HDNet and HDmovies channels, Tw pulled him off and substitued with some Bull S**t channels like Maverick and Smithsonian. That upset me, but not enough to drop TW at the time. Not to mentioned I had just gotten into a two year agreement with TW for a special price. Seems to me like Cuban lost out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...