Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Belo agrement expires NOV 1st at midnight/Resolved

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

I live in Houston and my local CBS station is owned by Belo. If I loose this station will I be able to watch the NFL games, that is normally on my local CBS station, on NFL Sunday Ticket. Because normally what ever game is shown on my local CBS station that game is blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket channels. I do subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.

The exact question I came here to ask.

If the answer is that CBS games are not allowed, DirecTV better have some money to give to customers as many will not be happy about paying near $350 and not getting those games.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

If the answer is that CBS games are not allowed, DirecTV better have some money to give to customers as many will not be happy about paying near $350 and not getting those games.

Except that those customers are already paying that "near $350" for ST without those games. I doubt there's any contingency in the ST contract DirecTV has with the NFL for a retransmission consent dispute. It will be up to you to find another way to view your local affiliate to see those games. If DirecTV wants to issue a credit to customers on a case by case basis for the loss of CBS in your market, that's another story.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#43 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

If the game is shown on the local channel it won't be on the package. The local channel owns the rights to the game and is free to charge anyone to retransmit it.

#44 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Right. I guess I got a bit confused with exactly who showed each game.

I thought that if (making this city up) Denver's CBS contract was up and denver had a home game on TV, people around the country wouldnt be able to see the Denver game since the local was not showing it

Of course, I now get that the locals dont control who sees it nationally so my fault.

#45 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Only major loss is Sunday Night Football and the occasional interesting Notre Dame game. Though I'll be ticked if I miss some SNF Jets games because of this.

#46 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Belo owns CBS in San Antonio. Unfortunatly my older HD tv does not have a built in over the air tuner, and my SD tv does not have a digital to analog converter. I've never had the need because I was on TW for many many years until I switched to D*. I don't know if I'm willing to buy two over the air boxes and an antenna just to watch a few shows. We do have one new HD tv with an HD tuner.

I also wonder how well Belo would do in the ratings war and commercial revenue if D* subscribers would longer be able to watch them. As far as football, our Fox station shows the Cowboys and the NFL ticket shows the Saints.

#47 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

I wouldn't sweat it, I'd say it's very likely they work out a deal very quickly...

#48 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

A lot of the problem with greedy stations are the subrscribers themselves. A couple of years ago, Time Warner did not work out an agrement with the NFL network. Here in San Antonio, a lot of Cowboys fans were very upset because they would not be able to watch two of the Cowboys games. So many of them jumped ship, and signed on with Satelitte.

It seems the NFL network wanted a ridiculous amount of money for just eight games. NFL wanted it to be like ESPN where everyone gets it and pays for it, as to where TW wanted to include it in their sports package.

I'm wondering if they will pull a "Quien es mas macho (Who's got the bigger balls), and D* will pull out. I'm wondering who has more to lose. I'm guessing that subrscribers will pull out their antennas instead of boycotting Belo. If so, the broadcasters greed will continue and subrscribers will continue to have their rates raised every year and everytime a contract expires.

But hopefully they'll meet somewhere in the middle, and come to an agreement.

#49 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

A lot of the problem with greedy stations are the subrscribers themselves. A couple of years ago, Time Warner did not work out an agrement with the NFL network. Here in San Antonio, a lot of Cowboys fans were very upset because they would not be able to watch two of the Cowboys games. So many of them jumped ship, and signed on with Satelitte.

It seems the NFL network wanted a ridiculous amount of money for just eight games. NFL wanted it to be like ESPN where everyone gets it and pays for it, as to where TW wanted to include it in their sports package.

I'm wondering if they will pull a "Quien es mas macho (Who's got the bigger balls), and D* will pull out. I'm wondering who has more to lose. I'm guessing that subrscribers will pull out their antennas instead of boycotting Belo. If so, the broadcasters greed will continue and subrscribers will continue to have their rates raised every year and everytime a contract expires.

But hopefully they'll meet somewhere in the middle, and come to an agreement.

When Time Warner and Comcast swapped areas a few years ago, DFW became a TW cable area. I left TW cable and switched to satellite partially for the same reason, they dropped NFL Network. Not to mention no NHL Network or very much HD programming at the time. TW cable used the same, we are doing this for our subscribers, fighting the high cost propaganda.

In the DFW area, we will lose our ABC affiliate, which hardly impacts sports I mainly watch (NFL & NHL). Using my OTA DVR will be my solution for other shows we watch. Although I still prefer it doesn't happen, because its easier to have all recorded programs on my DIRECTV DVR.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#50 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

I agreed with TW on that NFL issue. I also agreed with them when they went against Sinclair, which owns the local Fox station, for the rights to HD broadcasting. I don't watch Fox much except for the Dallas Cowboys games during football season. Sinclair was a little smarter than Belo at that time. They would allow the analog transmissions on TW, but not the HD.

I wonder if Belo is thinking rationally. If D* subscribers pull out their antennas, D* doesn't have to pay Belo anything, and Belo loses out on whatever money they would have received from D*. That's one way to stop the locals from getting too greedy. UNless they own other channels that carry a lot of weight.

When Dallas, San Antonio hater Mark Cuban (owner Dallas Mavericks and former Dancing with the Stars competitor), got into a dispute with TW over HDNet and HDmovies channels, Tw pulled him off and substitued with some Bull S**t channels like Maverick and Smithsonian. That upset me, but not enough to drop TW at the time. Not to mentioned I had just gotten into a two year agreement with TW for a special price. Seems to me like Cuban lost out.

#51 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

It appears ABC is gone already here in Dallas. I tried to watch the Tech/OU game tonight and all I get is a big Dtv symbol with an occasional blurb that I may have heard messages about a possible loss on November1st. Will customers get a partial credit because of this loss?

#52 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

I just noticed Dtv added a new channel with the same number. One is the warning and the other is the actually programming.

#53 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

It appears ABC is gone already here in Dallas. I tried to watch the Tech/OU game tonight and all I get is a big Dtv symbol with an occasional blurb that I may have heard messages about a possible loss on November1st. Will customers get a partial credit because of this loss?

I'm getting it this morning in Dallas (WFAA Ch 8) but I'm watching it on a D11 standard box. I haven't cheked for the HD feed yet.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#54 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

I watched the game just fine last night on WFAA on DirecTV. Great outcome, too. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#55 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Is there any update on this mater?

#56 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Apparently not. Looks like I am going to lose NBC on 11-1, which really is little loss. I could care less about the NFL sunday night game, and NBC's fall lineup is pretty crappy across the board. Their loss.

#57 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

I noticed my local affiliate (AZFamily) advertising this last night - they also posted on azfamily.com/directv

I hope this gets concluded - I like my local news readers!

So not only are we losing FoxAz and the other 6 stations we are also losing KTVK in Arizona.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#58 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

And next year they'll be telling dish or cable viewers to switch providers as well. The cycle never ends.

#59 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

I wouldn't expect anything earlier than an 11th hour resolution to something like this. Even then, it might just be an extension.

Given DIRECTV's early posturing, I'm guessing Fox isn't too amicable.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#60 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

I dont think DirecTv is interested in an extension that would add the fox locals and fox news channel into the fray with the other channels. Im pretty sure that is why DirecTv is playing hardball early. They dont want those other channels to get caught up in an all or nothing deal.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...