Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Belo agrement expires NOV 1st at midnight/Resolved

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

WFAA / ABC is still lit in Dallas at 8:15am CDT.

I saw a commercial last night where the newscaster on WFAA said that you may lose this station if an agreement wasn't reached by midnight tomorrow. I figured it was an probably created on 10/30 and they were just running it on 10/31 again, but maybe there was a 1 day extension?

Update: Found an [article] that mentions this:

"Negotiations still continue, and we're hopeful we can come to a fair settlement," says Devlin, who posted this heads-up to WFAA viewers explaining the station's side of the story. "Our position really hasn't changed: It's unreasonable that one of the most-watched channels on DirecTV is not one of the higher compensated, so for us it's a fundamental issue of fairness. if you look at Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC -- those four are the highest-viewed. Yet we're among the lowest in terms of compensation when you look at a lowly viewed cable outfit."

He wouldn't dare predict what'll happen come midnight Tuesday; he says compared to the fight with Fox, at least Belo's brawl isn't as "acrimonious." But, he reminds: There's much to be worked out between now and dark-thirty: "When you agree on your financials, there's also a whole list of other elements, which are seemingly boring. But this isn't about agreeing on an amount.

Edited by RACJ2, 01 November 2011 - 08:48 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

Watch to see if any of those BELO stations have crept down there power levels, or, if they have the capability, swing their broadcast antenna array to re-aim that power in a particular direction.

KING-TY has been creeping down their output levels for the last couple of weeks, either that or swinging their array toward the south (would only be verified if I had a mobile testing array), easily verified by the fact they have an additional channel they run (KONG-TY) which they haven't been playing with the levels.

Their FCC license (which like all US TV broadcasters they don't pay a single cent for) allows them to change things at will. The only thing they run the risk of is being called to task at their next FCC license renewal public comments, which is two years away.

Others with BELO stations should be keeping records of their receive levels to see if they detect any 'playing around'.

#103 ONLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

No new news on Directv web site. Apparently it was Belo that took this one public.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3094/~/we're-negotiating-to-keep-your-local-broadcast-station-on-directv

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

Dish Hopper with sling

Wireless Joey

#104 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Oh well...Fox and all reached an agreement so that was really the only hit I would have taken. For me to lose Channel 8 locally....no big deal. There's nothing there I watch save the local news, and I can pick that up on my antenna.

Like I've said before:

Belo, if you want me to watch your programming, you better make sure DirecTV carries it. If not, I'll watch something else.
DirecTV Premier
NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice
HR24-100 --> Mits WD52628 (HDMI) and Pioneer VSX1015TX (Toslink)
Bose 601 Series 3 Mains, VS100 Center, 301 Series 3 Surrounds.
Apple TV2, Xbox360, PS3

#105 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,494 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

So I called our local NBC station and actually talked to the station president. :)

She said the deadline is actually tonight at midnight (November 2, 12:00am) for the stations to drop. She said they are actively negotiating with DIRECTV and she is very hopeful that they'll have an agreement by tonight. They have a big conference call at 10am PDT with Belo to discuss the progress of the negotiations. Again, she sounded encouraged by the progress so far.

Hopefully they'll get this figured out before I have to change a couple of SL to the OTA version of ch. 8.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#106 OFFLINE   lebowski76

lebowski76

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

As long as I can watch Biggest Loser, I don't care what station broadcasts it (just kidding). If I want local news, I have the internet. It's not like I"m going to learn that my drive time traffic has disappeared.

#107 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 851 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

So I called our local NBC station and actually talked to the station president. :)

She said the deadline is actually tonight at midnight (November 2, 12:00am) for the stations to drop. She said they are actively negotiating with DIRECTV and she is very hopeful that they'll have an agreement by tonight. They have a big conference call at 10am PDT with Belo to discuss the progress of the negotiations. Again, she sounded encouraged by the progress so far.

Hopefully they'll get this figured out before I have to change a couple of SL to the OTA version of ch. 8.

November 2? or November 1?

#108 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

it was extended till tonight

#109 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,494 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

November 2? or November 1?

November 2, 12:00am. So tonight, at midnight, is the deadline. At midnight, it changes to the next day. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#110 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

I think the deadline is actually 11:59:59PM on November 1st.

End of days occurs right after that deadline.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#111 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

November 2, 12:00am. So tonight, at midnight, is the deadline. At midnight, it changes to the next day. :)

True, but it does always leave you second guessing. The local Belo station here in Dallas has it listed like this:

Dear valued WFAA viewer,

I want you to know that for several months we have been working on an agreement with DIRECTV that would start on Tuesday, November 1, at midnight. It would allow WFAA’s signal to be carried on DIRECTV for years to come.

With today being Nov 1, it still makes you wonder, when did they mean the last agreement terminated, last night or tonight? In any case, I did find it interesting that they provided the link in the message below on their website:

Contact DIRECTV at 800-531-5000 or write the President of DIRECTV by clicking [here] to express support for WFAA and its local programming.

Click [here] for the complete message on their website.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#112 ONLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

So are these channels going off according to the Eastern time zone or local time.
If Vegas put a line on it odds would be 2-1 there is some kind of agreement today in the eleventh hour.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

Dish Hopper with sling

Wireless Joey

#113 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Would the SD version of the channels still be carried? I thought that was part of the must carry law. Or would other provisions override that?

Edited by Groundhog45, 01 November 2011 - 02:09 PM.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#114 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,264 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Officially, midnight belongs to the expiring day. In common usage, though, midnight can be ambiguous.

There is no "00:00:00" or no "24:00:01". After 23:59:59 on Nov 1, it is 24:00:00 on Nov 1, then it is 00:00:01 on Nov 2.

#115 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

I wonder how may BELO senior executives at HQ in Dallas sub to D* and if any are at the table today thinking:

'I need to get more money from D* to pay my bonus. On the other hand, I have to go home tonight to tell the family they will be out of luck for the Popular Wed ABC Sitcom block on WFAA tomorrow.'

#116 OFFLINE   sonnik

sonnik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Would the SD version of the channels still be carried? I thought that was part of the must carry law. Or would other provisions override that?

No, there SD/HD are more or less not relevant to this discussion. Once a television station requests carriage fees, they've essentially waived their right to "must carry".

http://en.wikipedia....mission_consent

#117 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

No, there SD/HD are more or less not relevant to this discussion. Once a television station requests carriage fees, they've essentially waived their right to "must carry".

http://en.wikipedia....mission_consent

Thanks.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#118 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,227 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

I wonder how may BELO senior executives at HQ in Dallas sub to D* and if any are at the table today thinking:

'I need to get more money from D* to pay my bonus. On the other hand, I have to go home tonight to tell the family they will be out of luck for the Popular Wed ABC Sitcom block on WFAA tomorrow.'

I suspect that all of the negotiating goes on at the corporate level and the local management doesn't have much of a say. Nobody has said how much Belo is getting now nor how much they are asking, but since it is free OTA I doubt it is very much (probably less per station than the non-local cable/sat networks get). Since satellite carriage expands the size of their markets (meaning more advertiser bucks) I don't see where they have that strong an argument (but they don't see it that way).

There are still several hours left and I'm hoping for the best. If the Belo stations go dark, I hope Directv drops the slides on the -1 channels (or moves them to the main channel) or it will be more inconvenient to tune the AM21 to the OTA locals, which also use the -1 nomenclature.

#119 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

I suspect that all of the negotiating goes on at the corporate level and the local management doesn't have much of a say. Nobody has said how much Belo is getting now nor how much they are asking, but since it is free OTA I doubt it is very much (probably less per station than the non-local cable/sat networks get). Since satellite carriage expands the size of their markets (meaning more advertiser bucks) I don't see where they have that strong an argument (but they don't see it that way).

There are still several hours left and I'm hoping for the best. If the Belo stations go dark, I hope Directv drops the slides on the -1 channels (or moves them to the main channel) or it will be more inconvenient to tune the AM21 to the OTA locals, which also use the -1 nomenclature.

That's what is special about DFW DMA. Besides being a BELO local market served by WFAA, the BELO corp HQ building looms over the downtown dallas skyline. I'm sure they have corp executives who sub D* and rely on it to receive their own local channel at home

#120 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

VERIFIED: KING-TV/BELO cutting broadcast RF power to lowest level of any Seattle/Main TV station.

I had more than hints this was occurring over the last couple of weeks, but I decided to get out my calibrated RF test gear today to take a nice, long, look at what's going on.

For those who don't know the Seattle broadcasting stations, all but one PBS station (KCTS9) are digitally on UHF, including KING-TV (UHF48). When the digital changeover started occurring years ago, both KING-TV and the CBS station (KIRO) were the first to be carried by DirecTV, and have continued for years to be the highest powered stations in town; the ABC station (KOMO, UHF38) has been the poorest performer, while Fox (KCPQ, UHF 18), which has it's broadcast tower in Bremerton rather than downtown in sight of the Space Needle, have been the poorest (in the beginning) although both have made strides in improving their broadcast 'footprint' around the Puget Sound area since they 'switched over' to digital.

KING-TV has almost dropped off the cliff broadcast OTA wise as of today. They are obviously 'playing games'. Their 'sister station' (owned and operated) KONG-TV (UHF16), operating from the same tower in downtown Seattle, continues to radiate as strong as ever.

My charts and notes will be provided, if I am allowed to, at the next station license renewal, if one occurs (the NAB has been trying for years to make broadcast licenses 'auto-renewing', so it's up in the air with the lobbyists in control these days).

As a licensed FCC broadcast engineer for almost 40 years, I'd like to see them try to stop me from at least getting my information 'on the record'.

#121 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

You can close this thread down now, too
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#122 OFFLINE   24Flames

24Flames

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

So I assume those of us in Belo markets can now rest easy.....:D

#123 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,741 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like good news to me :jumpingja

#124 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Good news, satelliteracer. Now I don't have to change my preferred local news provider. I was gonna miss them.

#125 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,227 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

VERIFIED: KING-TV/BELO cutting broadcast RF power to lowest level of any Seattle/Main TV station.

I had more than hints this was occurring over the last couple of weeks, but I decided to get out my calibrated RF test gear today to take a nice, long, look at what's going on.

For those who don't know the Seattle broadcasting stations, all but one PBS station (KCTS9) are digitally on UHF, including KING-TV (UHF48). When the digital changeover started occurring years ago, both KING-TV and the CBS station (KIRO) were the first to be carried by DirecTV, and have continued for years to be the highest powered stations in town; the ABC station (KOMO, UHF38) has been the poorest performer, while Fox (KCPQ, UHF 18), which has it's broadcast tower in Bremerton rather than downtown in sight of the Space Needle, have been the poorest (in the beginning) although both have made strides in improving their broadcast 'footprint' around the Puget Sound area since they 'switched over' to digital.

KING-TV has almost dropped off the cliff broadcast OTA wise as of today. They are obviously 'playing games'. Their 'sister station' (owned and operated) KONG-TV (UHF16), operating from the same tower in downtown Seattle, continues to radiate as strong as ever.

My charts and notes will be provided, if I am allowed to, at the next station license renewal, if one occurs (the NAB has been trying for years to make broadcast licenses 'auto-renewing', so it's up in the air with the lobbyists in control these days).

As a licensed FCC broadcast engineer for almost 40 years, I'd like to see them try to stop me from at least getting my information 'on the record'.

KSTW (11, CW) and KCPW (13, FOX) are also on VHF. All three reverted to their VHF frequencies after the analog shutdown.

It's probably location-dependent, but on my HR24/AM21, KING has a stronger signal than either KOMO or KIRO as received here on Bainbridge Island (line-of-sight except for trees) when I just checked. I think all three are currently transmitting an omnidirectional signal from the top of their towers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...