Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Tim Allens new show bomb?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

Tim Allens new TV show premieres tonight. Yeah, I'm as surprised as everybody else :D. I don't think I've seen *ANY* promotion for this show. I loved Home Improvement, but I don't think I've talked to anybody that even knows he has a new TV show, much less that its premiering tonight. I don't think I've even seen him on the late night talk shows. This thing could be the next Paul Reiser show. How long did that last? Was it 1 or 2 eps? Wanna say it was 1.

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

There's been a ton of promotion for the show. He was even on Monday Night Football last night pimping it.

If you liked Home Improvement you'll like this. He himself even says it's basically a "reboot" of Home Improvement. The only differences are that he now has 2 daughters instead of 2 sons and his character doesn't do a home improvement show, he works at Bass Pro Shops.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

I have a good feeling about this one. If his Nancy Travis plays the same type of strong woman character she did in Becker, and Allen reprises "Tim", the chemistry should be good, IMHO.

Of course the writers will need to put funny words in their mouths. :)
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

There's been a ton of promotion for the show. He was even on Monday Night Football last night pimping it.

If you liked Home Improvement you'll like this. He himself even says it's basically a "reboot" of Home Improvement. The only differences are that he now has 2 daughters instead of 2 sons and his character doesn't do a home improvement show, he works at Bass Pro Shops.

Lol... ah... I don't watch MNF, but on all the TV I do watch, I've seen zilch :).

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

Lol... ah... I don't watch MNF, but on all the TV I do watch, I've seen zilch :).

You must not watch much on ABC or ESPN then. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

I've seen it promo'd a pretty good amount. I'm really hoping it is good, there's such a dearth of well written good comedies that don't rely on shock humor.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

In general, the more a show is hyped, the less interested I am, and the more likely I consider it will bomb. New Girl is this season's exception for me. I enjoy both Mr. Allen and Ms. Travis quite a bit but I won't be watching this one. I just don't think it's going to go very far.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

He had 3 sons on "Home Improvement." :)

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

Home Improvement, the cast then and now.

http://tv.yahoo.com/...ow/780/photos/1

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,756 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

I'm not holding out much hope for this show...

While I'd LOVE for a good family comedy to do well, I just don't see it happening. Besides, it's very hard for an actor so familiar for his work on one popular comedy to do so again...

I must admit, I do love the scene where he and his character's younger daughter is messing with the oldest daughter. That's hilarious...

I'll miss Nancy Travis on "Hart of Dixie" (my favorite new show of the Fall season) though. :(

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

You must not watch much on ABC or ESPN then. :lol:

You got me there :D. Most of what I watch (broadcast) is on CBS and one show on NBC. The rest is USA, TNT, WB, DISC and NGC.

Guess they wouldn't talk about an ABC show :).

#12 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

In general, the more a show is hyped, the less interested I am, and the more likely I consider it will bomb. New Girl is this season's exception for me. I enjoy both Mr. Allen and Ms. Travis quite a bit but I won't be watching this one. I just don't think it's going to go very far.

Whitney was seriously overhyped, but if you can take loud, abrasive woman, its kind of funny... sometimes :). The closing scene last week cracked me up.

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,756 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

You got me there :D. Most of what I watch (broadcast) is on CBS and one show on NBC. The rest is USA, TNT, WB, DISC and NGC.

Guess they wouldn't talk about an ABC show :).

Most of the time, no... but there are weird exceptions.

I'm impressed you're still able to watch WB... :P;):D

~Alan

#14 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

While I'd LOVE for a good family comedy to do well, I just don't see it happening. Besides, it's very hard for an actor so familiar for his work on one popular comedy to do so again...

I must admit, I do love the scene where he and his character's younger daughter is messing with the oldest daughter. That's hilarious...

I'll miss Nancy Travis on "Hart of Dixie" (my favorite new show of the Fall season) though. :(

~Alan

I'll give it a try. I've got it on my DVR. Hart Of Dixie? Has that been cancelled? Wasn't it like the lowest rated show EVER?

#15 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm impressed you're still able to watch WB... :P;):D

I just watch 90210 on there... haha, yeah, its pretty bad this season, but you know... sometimes you gotta watch :sure:.

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,756 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'll give it a try. I've got it on my DVR. Hart Of Dixie? Has that been cancelled? Wasn't it like the lowest rated show EVER?

HoD has not been cancelled... yet, anyway. As I stated, it's my favorite new show of the season, so the odds of it being cancelled are obviously very good.

It was created by Josh Schwartz who created "The O.C.", "Chuck," "Gossip Girl", and stars Rachel Bilson ("The O.C.", "Chuck", etc.), Scott Porter ("Friday Night Lights", "The Good Wife", etc.), Jaime King ("Gary Unmarried", "Pearl Harbor", "Bulletproof Monk", "Sin City", etc.), Cress Williams ("Friday Night Lights", "Grey's Anatomy", "Prison Break", "Veronica Mars", "E.R.", "Close To Home", "Nash Bridges", "Beverly Hills, 90210", etc.), and Tim Matheson (everything).

Until last week's episode, Nancy Travis ("Last Man Standing") was a member of the cast (she bowed out due to LMS getting picked up).

The show has a very "Doc Hollywood" vibe... which is appealing to me, and somewhat interesting considering I learned the guy who was the inspiration for the movie is from this area.

I just watch 90210 on there... haha, yeah, its pretty bad this season, but you know... sometimes you gotta watch :sure:.

I watch a LOT of The CW (not 90210) programming, but I haven't seen The WB since it merged with UPN and became The CW! ;)

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,144 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Mrs. Fluffybear loved Home Improvement so we will at least give it a try.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#18 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

I thinks its a smart move. Tim Allen has been away from the spotlight for a while now. I think its very good timing.

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Didn't like Home Improvement, don't like Tim Allen.

I'm hoping it bombs.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#20 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

CW doesn't do good ratings. Visit the TV show area here and look at Phrelin's show ratings thread for better information.

I have a good feeling about this one. If his Nancy Travis plays the same type of strong woman character she did in Becker, and Allen reprises "Tim", the chemistry should be good, IMHO.

Of course the writers will need to put funny words in their mouths. :)

I suspect it'll be good I have enjoyed both stars on TV and in the movies.

~Alan

I watched the episode last night from a earlier recording where she announced she was leaving in Glorious 720 x 480 SD Widescreen from my HDD equipped DVD Recorder. Overflow catcher from basic cable in Clear QAM. The quality looked pretty good too. recorded from the HD broadcast.

Maybe why they wrote her out was to go to this show?

Hopefully she didn't jump from good to bad.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

spam firewall