Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Tim Allens new show bomb?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

Saw, Saw II and Saw III, yeah, they were. Saw 4, 5 and 6, not so much. Kind of hard to make it good when the star is dead.

Those are the ones that should be XXX Rated with restricted viewing on special blockable channel ranges. Not the ones showing people enjoying themselves in pleasurable activities.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Well, the numbers are in 12.9M for the 1hr premiere. Good enough for #2 for the night, but not spectacular in the 18-49.

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

So when he showed up on your screen you didn't say "Hey! That Urkel!" :D?

No, I honestly didn't recognize him as Urkel at first. I knew I recognized him but wasn't sure where from. I had to look him up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Sorry to drag this back from philosophical discussions of sex, violence, chain saws, and type casting, but ....

I thought Tim Allen's first two shows were okay, not great. Looks like they're trying to combine Tim-the-Toolman's macho baloney with a sort of watered down Archie Bunker character. If the writers do it right as they get more comfortable with the character, they might make this work. So far the kids are just there to be foils for Tim's shtick. But I expect some of you are right -- we're destined for some "very special" episodes about the kids as they run out of ideas for Tim.

Maybe I've just been sensitized to it by a recent thread here, but I thought the laugh track was awful.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#55 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,616 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Interesting rating tidbit - Female 18-49 4.2/11 & Male 18-49 3.0/9. Maybe baseball playoffs?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#56 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,512 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I don't dislike kids on shows, but not a big fan of babies. A baby killed Mad About You and another show I can't think of right now.

Mork and Mindy?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Mork and Mindy?

Jonathan Winters was awesome as Mearth!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Sorry to drag this back from philosophical discussions of sex, violence, chain saws, and type casting, but ....

I thought Tim Allen's first two shows were okay, not great. Looks like they're trying to combine Tim-the-Toolman's macho baloney with a sort of watered down Archie Bunker character. If the writers do it right as they get more comfortable with the character, they might make this work. So far the kids are just there to be foils for Tim's shtick. But I expect some of you are right -- we're destined for some "very special" episodes about the kids as they run out of ideas for Tim.

Maybe I've just been sensitized to it by a recent thread here, but I thought the laugh track was awful.

I only watched the first half hour, but really the only part that made me even remotely crack a smile was when he comes into the office and says ".... MAN, this place smells like balls!" or something like that and the blonde guy takes a deep whiff and smiles.

I loved Home Improvement, but already gave up on this show.

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,860 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

If they were trying to redo Tim the Toolman, they missed by a mile. Tim was a well meaning bumbler who had mistaken ideas on life but was willing to learn. He was a bit phony macho but with a soft heart. The guy on this show is harsh. He is too angry. He may soften but he is way too harsh. The second episode was better than the first (as pilots often suck) but they need to make him more like the Toolman and let his angry side only show when doing the video catalog things.

As for catalogs....uh??? Catalogs are bigger than ever. And 99% of internet sales sites are electronic catalogs. How far off can the premise of his job be?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

I dunno if I thought he was too harsh, I just thought the show was completely unfunny. I didn't hate any of the actors, but did notice that there was zero chemistry. On HI, they were a believable family from eps 1. On this show, they all felt like strangers. People still get catalogs? Really? I buy everything online.

#61 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Was not impressed but will give it another shot or two...

And Merth was some of the funniest stuff on Mork & Mindy :D
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

Protected By... spam firewall...And...