Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blockbuster Streaming, VIP722

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

So, I have the moviepass option on the menu, but, it shows EXACTLY the same content as "All Movies" menu option, exactly the same options, movies, choices, etc. I can't ne sure, but, the list SEEMS to be the same as it was before movie pass as I used to have Platinum HD before it changed over.

So, my questions:

1. Should the Blockbuster Movie Pass menu options be any different than the all movies menu option?
2. Did I already have the content before with platinum HD channels? i.e., am I supposed to see more content now?
Steve
Zen Cart Consulting, osCommerce, Magento

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

The content should be pretty much the same between the two. The Movie Pass on the receiver will have more than 3000 titles compared to 4000 titles online on your PC. Thanks.

#3 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Just to be clear - they are EXACTLY the same, not mostly. I see no choices, from the Blockbuster movie pass option, to select by anything different than the all movies option. So, I can select say by channel like Encore, HDNET, etc., not sure what that has to do with movie pass.

For me, it appears wrong, that I should have different search options than the all movies menu option. I've seen some screen captures from other receivers that appear to be 1000% different choices, but, perhaps that's functionality not on the 722.
Steve

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the selection of movies should be essentially the same as it was before... unless they have added some recently...

BUT

The key difference should be that now if you have Movie Pass on your account, those movies will all be free to download instead of having a price/cost to download them.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

Some of them are free, some are not, just like Dish Platinum was. Everyone mentions 3,000 or so movies, my Blockbuster Movie Pass has 5,100+ items in it. Which also makes me wonder if it's working...

So, this is my confusion:

1. All Movies and Blockbuster Movie pass are EXACTLY the same, all contents, search screens, etc. If that is the case, what is the purpose of two menu items where 1 would suffice.
2. I don't see any change from Dish Platinum, except, it no longer shows on the menu. Some movies were free, some were not. That is still the case, some of the 5,100+ choices are free, some are not. For example, searching Movie Pass for new release, I see 2012 Ice Age, $4.99

I am simply wondering if my receiver is behaving properly, if there is a missing software update, etc.

All the promotional material implied to me there was all this new content, I don't see ANY. Some promotional material showed search screens, I don't have any that are remotely close. Don't have a link to one right now.

My guess is it's actually zero different than what I was seeing before with Dish Platinum, and, there isn't anything new at all in my case.
Steve

#6 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

I think "Movie Pass" is just a new name for "Dish Platinum." I didn't see any difference in content after the menu label changed.

-- Roger

#7 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ok, that's what I thought might be happening. So, it sounds correct then.

Unlike many others, as a Dish Platinum subscriber previously, and, having reviewed my plan again, I see this as a rate CUT. At least for me. Being on Top 250, and, dish platinum previously, and, reviewing the channels I will lose going to top 200, removing from that list channels I gain by having Movie pass, there's very little difference. I can live without the 2 channels I actually lose that I watch sometimes. So, am going to go to top 200 now, saving $10 per month. Plus, I cancelled my Netflix Disk my mail account, so, saved that $8.65 per month, realizing, a net gain of over $19 including tax.
Steve

#8 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

You should be able to press the * button on your remote control to bring up all the free movies available,just like if you go into Explore Movies and select HD,then Get Results it will bring up all the movies in HD only.:)

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Streaming/downloading content does seem largely the same

BUT to me, Platinum - Moviepass aren't exactly the same as moviepass has 1 dvd out at a time, and I'm told more online content, which are gains to me ( I haven't done online from them yet so can't testify to that)

OOPs, sorry, I see Vernon posted about the same thing in poist #4

#10 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

It would be nice if the search options allowed you to search by genre. Drama, scifi, western etc. It is pretty tedious going through a list alphabetically. Streaming for me is more of a ....Hmmm, lets see what is available to watch now.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#11 OFFLINE   schmack

schmack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Just to be sure, until Moviepass comes to the 922 there is no way to get at these 3k+ flicks on this offering via my DVR? If I go online there is a lot of stuff there, but all the movies I see on my 922 under Dish Online are rentals. I can't find any to look at, say, all the streaming free offerings for a particular provider, like I can via the computer at dishonline.com.

#12 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Just to be sure, until Moviepass comes to the 922 there is no way to get at these 3k+ flicks on this offering via my DVR? If I go online there is a lot of stuff there, but all the movies I see on my 922 under Dish Online are rentals. I can't find any to look at, say, all the streaming free offerings for a particular provider, like I can via the computer at dishonline.com.

Until the software is completed and downloaded to the ViP922 & ViP612 receivers, they have no streaming offers through the receiver at all.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#13 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

I spoke to Dish tech yesturday, i am having issues with the 722, there is NO diffrence now that they call it "blockbuster" then it was before. It is the same but now they are promoting the blockbuster name. I can't figure out the nerve of Dish thinking that I am going to spend $10.00 a month to get access to old movies that are free and no good, then pay another $2.99 or more for newer movies. Maybee somone should let them know there is something called "The Red Box" that you get just released on dvd movies for $1.00. But then again, this is the same company that charges $6.99 for the same movie on PPV, that I get for a $1.00 at Red Box. I hate to say it, but Comcast on Demand still creams Dish, free access, and most of the content is free also. It is the only thing I like about cable.

The 722 is having many issues with the streaming/downloading also, once it does finnally download, it is gone the next morning, one of the several flaws Dish is also admitting it is looking into.

#14 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

It would be nice if the search options allowed you to search by genre. Drama, scifi, western etc. It is pretty tedious going through a list alphabetically. Streaming for me is more of a ....Hmmm, lets see what is available to watch now.

The 722K has the option to search by genre, critics rating, release date and a few others. Still a large PITA to find a movie without a search or alphabetical listing. I only hope they do a better job on the 922. But I really like the Blockbuster DVD by mail part of the deal.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#15 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:35 AM

I spoke to Dish tech yesturday, i am having issues with the 722, there is NO diffrence now that they call it "blockbuster" then it was before. It is the same but now they are promoting the blockbuster name. I can't figure out the nerve of Dish thinking that I am going to spend $10.00 a month to get access to old movies that are free and no good, then pay another $2.99 or more for newer movies. Maybee somone should let them know there is something called "The Red Box" that you get just released on dvd movies for $1.00. But then again, this is the same company that charges $6.99 for the same movie on PPV, that I get for a $1.00 at Red Box. I hate to say it, but Comcast on Demand still creams Dish, free access, and most of the content is free also. It is the only thing I like about cable.

The 722 is having many issues with the streaming/downloading also, once it does finnally download, it is gone the next morning, one of the several flaws Dish is also admitting it is looking into.

Streaming on my 722 has no issues at all. It's great.

You are not paying $10 just for streaming! I cancelled my Netflix DVDS by mail since that's part of the $10, got my first movie the next day. Taking it back today for in store exchange, where I can pickup a PS3 game. So many advantages. But yes, the streaming isn't the best selection, at least at this time. I see that as a freebie so to speak, if I get anything out of it, great, if not, don't care. It's also the 20 or so HD channels, which used to cost, well, the same $10!
Steve

#16 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

That's what it looks like to me, Netflix = $16 for streaming and 1 DVD; Dish MP = $10 for streaming and 1 DVD AND all the Platinum content. Dish is a much better deal (if you want the 1 DVD, which I do). Yes, Netflix is WAY better to navigate and stream.

Netflix streaming content is just as "old" as Dish. The only way to get new releases from either is DVD's. I'm only using 1 DVD at a time at Netflix, I get 2 per week easily. I'm waiting to see feedback on how well the BB mailing thing works.

#17 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well, it's a little better than that actually.

"Netflix = $16 for streaming and 1 DVD; Dish MP = $10 for streaming and 1 DVD AND all the Platinum content"

It's actually:

Netflix = $16 for streaming and 1 DVD; Dish MP = $10 for streaming and 1 DVD AND all the Platinum content AND bluray AND games AND in store exchanges. bluray can be had on Netflix, but, it's an additional charge.

Netflix likely wins on delivery for some folks since it has more shipping centers. Since I am in Dallas area, there is a Dallas shipping center, so, it's one day. So far, I've seen negative posts about delivery from some. And availability from others. I took my 30 some dvds in my queue on Netflix, and added them to BBMP, and, all but 1 were available. Good enough for me.

We'll see how the in store exchange works today. Have to return it to the store too though, so, it's 2 trips, which is ok by me since I Drive by the store every day anyway.
Steve

#18 OFFLINE   sfatula

sfatula

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

So, the in store exchange was easy. Went to the store, picked up the next DVD in my movie pass queue, they scanned the return envelope, and, the new DVD (bluray), and, away I went. Less than 60 minutes later, I got an email from movie pass acknowledging my return of the disc they had mailed. So, the store communicates pretty quickly apparently. I'll find out tomorrow how fast they acknowledge the returned exchange and ship the next disc in my queue.
Steve

#19 OFFLINE   gireeshbhat

gireeshbhat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Does the instore disk have due dates to return? That is the part I am still not quite clear about. If it is just like a regular BB DVD store rental then it is just a little better than Netflix. If you could keep the instore rental without the late fees that would be great.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Does the instore disk have due dates to return? That is the part I am still not quite clear about. If it is just like a regular BB DVD store rental then it is just a little better than Netflix. If you could keep the instore rental without the late fees that would be great.

That's a good question. I know (from reading others' experiences) that you have to return the store movie back to the store (i.e. you can't mail that one back)... but I haven't seen anything that says you can't keep it as long as you want just like you could have the mailed rental.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...