Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad External Drive Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Figured I would start a thread to get people's feedback on what external drives they are using with their Nomad's and if they have had any issues. I'm hoping to buy an external drive in the 128Gb+ range so I could have all of my recordings transcoded at the same time if I felt the need (I will probably set all of my series links up to be automatically transcoded from now on).

Obviously I'm not going to find a thumb drive in this size so I'll need an external hard drive with USB hookup, or a USB enclosure for an internal hard drive.

Anyone know if the Nomad puts out enough power to run something like this?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822165271

Or if I need to have one with it's own dedicated power supply like this?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136573
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

Patriot makes a 128gb USB thumb drive - at a price!

http://www.amazon.co...B/dp/B002DQ4CNK

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

And what a price that is!

I have a 160gb external USB drive I'm not using right now. I guess after I get the feel of the nomad I'll plug that in and see how it works (if I need additional space).

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I am using a WD Elements 2 TB External Hard Drive (WDBAAU0010HBK) with it's own Power Supply!!! :D

No Problems Yet!!!

I would use one with a dedicated Power Supply rather than rely on power from USB. Just my $.02!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

http://www.amazon.co...B/dp/B002DQ4CNK

Wow, don't think I'll be buying that anytime soon. The 64Gb version isn't much of a deal either.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Only reason I know about it was someone at work decided it was a good idea to buy some. I do NOT have this connected to my Nomad. Went with a PNY 32gb USB stick for that!

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

32GB SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive works fine.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

32GB SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive works fine.

Yes, but the manufacturer's web site recommends you format the drive to remove the software and partition (before you use it in the nomad). ;)

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

I'm using an old 100GB laptop hard drive in a USB case, powered off the Nomad's USB port...works fine. It appears to use external memory, if available, first (at least there was lots of disk activity when it was transcoding and downloading).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#10 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'm using an old 100GB laptop hard drive in a USB case, powered off the Nomad's USB port...works fine. It appears to use external memory, if available, first (at least there was lots of disk activity when it was transcoding and downloading).

I'd say most any 2.5" drive would probably be fine powered off USB. And most any 3.5" drive would probably require a powered enclosure (or at least ought to seriously consider using one; see the post above).

People should keep in mind that it was, what, 0.6GB per hour or so of transcoded material. So a 500GB drive would hold an extraordinary amount of content, especially given that "if deleted from DVR, then deleted from Nomad too". Seems like a decent size 2.5" drive is a really good compromise even if you have to buy new. 250GB laptop drives are sub $40, $60 if you include an enclosure. I believe my 3 DVRs together could be fully transcoded on a drive of that size, even though we routinely have 200-300 hours of content stored.

(Because of the downsampling of transcoded content, I don't see how anyone could realistically make use of a 2TB drive on Nomad. You'd need to have ~3000 hours of stuff on your DVRs. Of course, 2TB 3.5" drives are insanely inexpensive and come in power-sipping "green" varieties. So if you've got the space for them or one lying around, no reason not to use one.)

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Yep, that's why I figure I only need around a 128Gb drive. Don't really need more than that unless I add another DVR or add external drives to them, and I don't plan on doing either anytime soon.

It seems like most of the portable 2.5" drives jump from 80Gb to 320Gb though, so I'll probably end up with 320Gb which should be good for around 500 hours of programming (way more than the 200 I would max out at right now).
-by Jack Handy

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yep, that's why I figure I only need around a 128Gb drive. Don't really need more than that unless I add another DVR or add external drives to them, and I don't plan on doing either anytime soon.

It seems like most of the portable 2.5" drives jump from 80Gb to 320Gb though, so I'll probably end up with 320Gb which should be good for around 500 hours of programming (way more than the 200 I would max out at right now).

Just remember that those recordings only stay in your Nomad while they're also on the DVR. Once deleted from the DVR, they're gone from your Nomad, too.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm aware of that, it's not an issue. I'm just saying with 200 hours of recordings possible (one HR22, two HR21) then I could end up needing approx 120Gb of space if I had everything transcoded (200*.6=120Gb). I've never had all 3 of my DVRs 100% full, but I might as well prepare for it if I'm buying something rather than having to update it later. I could probably get away with a 80Gb drive (approx 130Hrs of recordings) but for only $10-20 more I can get a 320Gb drive so I might as well get it and not have to worry about upgrading down the line some time (unless there's a failure of course).

I just plan on having all of my content set to transcode automatically. That way anytime I have to leave on a trip I only have to worry about the short transfer time to get them onto my iPhone/iPad, and I don't have to worry about the transcoding time.

Right now I'm looking at these two. Anyone ever use one of them before?
http://www.amazon.co...18545861&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.co...18546075&sr=8-8
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Just remember that those recordings only stay in your Nomad while they're also on the DVR. Once deleted from the DVR, they're gone from your Nomad, too.

I understand that but having 7 DVRs with 13,000 Gigabytes of Storage Capacity Allows me to leave a lot of Recordings on my DVRs!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

Just to chime in with a different POV: I plan to stay within the default storage size of 16 Gigs. I'll take only 8 or 10 hours of stuff to see on any given trip. The rest will be live. Possibly will add a 64 Gig Flash when they become cheaper.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

Perhaps someone can justify the fascination with flash drives. Unless you drop big money, they are often slower and the capacities are obviously a lot smaller.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Perhaps someone can justify the fascination with flash drives. Unless you drop big money, they are often slower and the capacities are obviously a lot smaller.

My 32GB Flash drive is ideal (in total results in tripling the base 16GB memory), the cost was $29, and it works perfectly and fast with Nomad.

In honor of the baseball playoffs - three strikes - yer out.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

My 32GB Flash drive is ideal (in total results in tripling the base 16GB memory), the cost was $29, and it works perfectly and fast with Nomad.

In honor of the baseball playoffs - three strikes - yer out.

Likewise. My Nomad is already loaded with all of the shows I would take with me travelling for a few days, and there's still half of the combined 48GB memory free.

Obviously the Flash Drive is plenty speedy enough and will certainly consume less power than a hard drive, with greater reliability.

#19 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

The point of having enough space to transcode more content is that you don't have to necessarily pre-choose the small amount of stuff you can take with you, but rather have most of your DVR content. I doubt my DVRs record more than 25-30 hours in a week, but there is easily more than 100 hours stored on them at any time (I'm fairly sure, as I said above, it's 200-300).

As for the comments above, from my searches, it appears, really, the sweet spot on 2.5" drive is 250GB, but in fairness even 500s are not especially expensive. http://www.pricewatc.../notebook_250gb Any major brand should be fine for this purpose, it's unlikely to be taxed especially hard. As they are all notebook drives, they should all go into non-powered modes when not being used and should be pretty "sippy" to begin with.

If one wants to go with USB, it stops making sense to add anything past 64GB, which is about $90 and would give you 80GB total. That should store 130 hours or so. Given that Nomad should keep doing everything FIFO and should never add anything you do as one off and don't tell it to convert, this does sound like a lot. In fact, as a compromise, the 32GB solution is much cheaper, 48GB total (I'm understanding it's additive) is about 80 hours of programming. What's perhaps most interesting about that is that everything on Nomad could fit on a 64GB iPad or iPhone for a long trip... Again, without thinking about what to download. 32GB of flash is sub $40; I'm sensing the appeal.

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

It doesn't make sense to pay $30 for 32GB when you can get 15 times the capacity for $15 more. It isn't like you're going to be needing to carry the drive around.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...