Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

same day calls

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   azdishguy81

azdishguy81

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

is there anywhere else doing same day calls? im a DNS contractor for Dish, i have been taking same day service calls installs and upgrades. never fails that large jobs drop in at 3 or 4pm and ill be working till 7pm, then next day no work at all. the remote techs (in house Dns techs rarely ever take drop ins, they get their 4 calls a day and thats that. i however have to take whatever they drop in. i dont think thats fair, i would like to have a steady week vs a rollercoaster work week. i have done 7 calls in one day and drove over 300 miles to get to them.
would be interested in some feedback on this..
i understand the customer stand on this, no waiting. but at what cost? run contractors like crazy, (no wonder why we have a bad rep) i personally install better then most internal techs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azdishguy81

azdishguy81

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

ps. im in eastern az. 4t area we have 2 remote tech the rest are contractors.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

is there anywhere else doing same day calls? im a DNS contractor for Dish, i have been taking same day service calls installs and upgrades. never fails that large jobs drop in at 3 or 4pm and ill be working till 7pm, then next day no work at all. the remote techs (in house Dns techs rarely ever take drop ins, they get their 4 calls a day and thats that. i however have to take whatever they drop in. i dont think thats fair, i would like to have a steady week vs a rollercoaster work week. i have done 7 calls in one day and drove over 300 miles to get to them.
would be interested in some feedback on this..
i understand the customer stand on this, no waiting. but at what cost? run contractors like crazy, (no wonder why we have a bad rep) i personally install better then most internal techs.

If your unhappy find a job elsewhere. I know easier said than done but DISH will only USE you there is no respect for you or your talent.

#4 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm an internal tech and we take drop in jobs constantly. Just depends on the office and GM/Dispatcher in your area mostly. I've done 7 jobs in a day too, had 6 routed to me first thing in the morning on Monday (4 AMs is almost impossible). I think the internal techs are taking more than you realize, but all you can do is escalate your complaint to the next level of Dish management and see what happens.

#5 OFFLINE   Larry the satellite guy

Larry the satellite guy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

i'm in the same boat.Here in Ohio we got a rsp.As a contracter for them they constantly drop calls on us while there "boys" rarely work past 3.I know for a fact they get assigned no more than 60 pts a day and might do as much as 80.While the contracters up here are always starting at 90 and get up to 120 pts.But that being said there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.We get the "don't like it,go find a job somewhere else."speech.Been a tech for 8 yrs. only the last 2 as a cont.but i really feel you.The calenders at Dish stay open way too long.They go by optimum conditions and don't realize that weather and seasons change.(gets dark by 5 pm in the winter)I don't mind drop in tc's so much,but the late installs blow.

#6 OFFLINE   dudedish

dudedish

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Dish RSP tech here in Nevada, same days all the time. BTW, its not dish network forcing the same days whoever was bashing dish, its whoever in your company who controls the calanders :). Same days can be closed, but most companies keep same days open to make up their completions when jobs are canceled due to line of sight, landlord restrictions, reschedules and doortags, or just mabey behind on the calendars. Alot of reasons for a company to want to keep same days open. But it is not dish, I witnessed the same days being stopped first thing in the morning many times when an area was over routed already. I don't know how it is with other RSP's but i'm paid on a pay for performance pay scale with points and whatnot. I miss the days when dish would let us pull forward new connects, my completion percentage is tracked, i used to love being able to pull forward a NC or two when i had lost a job here or there to make that up. Any of you internal guys know why they mask all the new connects now so they can't be pulled forward?

Edited by dudedish, 13 October 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

I am a DNS tech.. And lately they have been keeping the calendar open later.. For us. It used to close at 2:00 pm. Know it is 3:30.. I have been doing a lot of 3:30 drop ins has well..

#8 OFFLINE   azdishguy81

azdishguy81

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I did not know how it was anywhere but here.
I have never met any of my routers, dispatcher or any one who controls the calenders,
so its not like i can ask them, there all either in Phoenix, 195 miles away or somewhere in Colorado.
Yesterday had a full route, today just two really easy service calls more driving then working, but dropped in a few hours apart. One of of guys had to drive out the the town where the 1st job was at a few hours later, lol.
Two Service calls? I dont go by points but thats weak.
We only have two remote techs in our area, I have been really good friends with one of em for a long time and work with him before he went Internal. He is all about four jobs fast as possible. no more. Just points per hour, The other tech I have known since i started working for Dish as a sub. have helped each other out many times.. good guy. All other work is done by subs (around 18 or so) we dont get any perks, insurance pay per performace anything, just hourly.

#9 OFFLINE   azdishguy81

azdishguy81

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:23 AM

And I totally agree with the same day drops in"s on service and trouble calls. but Installs no.

(dudedish) I was told that the reason for all the x's and 9's lol. Was because some retailers were trying to switch customers over to Directv if they got the job to install it, cuz they make more of something like that.. Thats what was told through the Dish Grapevine.

#10 OFFLINE   azdishguy81

azdishguy81

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:26 AM

^make more money off it^ lol its late

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

As a customer I think it is great. I was on Chat Tuesday for a parents dish to get a re-point for the remounted dish that the roofer put back on. Around 2:30 I was told I could get same day service. It was done and working. I heard before 5PM that it was done and she could watch TV again.

It cost me $50 not for the same day service but because it was due to the roof being re-roofed.

I heard that the Tech was unhappy that the roofer put the dish back. Anybody can explain why in simple English I can understand?

That was done by the roofer and protects the warranty on the new roof.

To the OP: Don't you get paid by the job? I would think for the same money you would rather work one day than two days?

I know I would rather work one longer day to get the next day off and in fact I used to do that. When Things were slow on my last job if I had enough hours in and they didn't need me I'd take off. I worked there 14 years until they moved out of state. I've been working where I am now since spring 1996 so that system works for me.

make it while you can.

Edited by TBoneit, 14 October 2011 - 02:28 PM.
content

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I heard that the Tech was unhappy that the roofer put the dish back. Anybody can explain why in simple English I can understand?

We would need to see before and after pictures to be able to tell you why the roofer's installation was unsatisfactory.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

We would need to see before and after pictures to be able to tell you why the roofer's installation was unsatisfactory.

But I'm sure you could make some good educated guesses, like roofing nails instead of lag screws, attached using hot tar as glue, or bent mounts.:):):)

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

But I'm sure you could make some good educated guesses, like roofing nails instead of lag screws, attached using hot tar as glue, or bent mounts.:):):)

Those don't seem like educated guesses. I think you're confusing roofers with framers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

No Before pictures and being afraid of heights probably no after pictures unless my brother has a good lense on his camera and can get a shot from the ground.

FWIW MY brother was there the two days the roof was being done and when I talked to him he was muttering something along the lines of they dropped one of the lags and had to find it. They had to replace some rotted wood with 3/4" plywood which probably was one reason it took two days. The dog gone roof had been leaking in two places. The one in the back of the house had evidently been seeping for a while.

He's the one that made the decision to let the roofers re-install the dish to protect against leaks not being covered by the roofer.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#16 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

If its any consolation, as a CSR i can tell you that we have taught/instructed not to set up Same day installs/Trouble calls even if its available and even if its early in the day.
But as with every company, theres bad eggs and i know theres a ton of CSR's who dont know better and still set them up for customers.

Sorry :<
edit:

And for clarification Same day installs potentially do more harm then good for the customer.
Mainly because at the end of the day just because the CSR's program lists that theres a slot open for that day (usually the 12 to 5 time frame) doesnt mean its actually there, and aside from calling DNS or AEP directly the CSR will never know this.
So lets say the Agent sets up the same day install anyway. The days full, so the Dispatch has to do one of a few things at this point

1) Close the w/o, send an email to dish stating it needs to rebuilt/rescheduled.
2)Schedules it for the next available date, emails dish that it needs to be rescheduled.
3)Bad egg dispatch, doesnt do anything about it and theres a hold set up on the w/o because theres no tech assigned (unlikely but realistically it would eventually happen).

In the first two scenarios, depending on when the email is even received/read the customer in question may not even be contacted the same day. So they can potentially be left waiting all day for a tech who wont go out that day (unlikely as you guys usually call in for ETA anyway). Or you could receive a phone call from an agent regarding whats happening.

Now lets say in the hours you have been waiting, not only did you pretty much waste your day the soonest available dates(like the next day) may have been filled up by other Trouble calls and Installs as well, So in the end you may end up waiting even longer then you should/could have been. All in the end just leading to less customer satisfaction and just general frustration for everyone involved.
Now bear in mind this is assuming worst case scenarios, but at the end of the day its always the safest bet to not do Same day installs/repair =/

Edited by Inkosaurus, 15 October 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

None of us are saying trouble calls shouldn't be same day.. We all agree they should be if we can.. It is the new connects that shouldn't be same day.. Especially after 3:00.. By then we are tired and we all have a life outside of this job. We now will be there till at least 6:00. and it is getting dark earlier and earlier..

#18 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

The problem is same day work regardless of type is really risky as DNS doesnt update our scheduler the same day as the work.
So it could be full, a job could run longer then expected or all the techs could all be busy, but the CSR would be none the wiser. And setting up a same day job for a customer at the end of the day could end up being much more of a head ache to everyone involved more then it could help out.

#19 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

.I know for a fact they get assigned no more than 60 pts a day and might do as much as 80.While the contracters up here are always starting at 90 and get up to 120 pts

How many points we DNS techs get routed is based on what level we are. Level 1's only get around 55-60, as a Level 4 I'm usually at least 80+. And we are always picking up extra drop-in jobs too.

As a customer I think it is great. I was on Chat Tuesday for a parents dish to get a re-point for the remounted dish that the roofer put back on. Around 2:30 I was told I could get same day service. It was done and working. I heard before 5PM that it was done and she could watch TV again.

All of us agree that same day service calls are fine, it's the new 4-6 room installations that drop in at 3:30 that annoy us.

As far as the roofer goes - roofers usually remount the dish in the same holes they took it out of so it'll work, but those holes are usually wallowed out by now and the dish can be loose. Chances are it is also just mounted to the plywood, where a picky tech like myself always wants it mounted to a rafter (like they're supposed to be). So now the tech has to either make do with a substandard mount, or put 6 additional holes in the brand new roof to properly mount it. Theses additional holes wouldn't need to be there if the roofer had just left it alone and let the tech do it. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...