Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How Do I Incorporate DECA-Only Receiver into Existing Ethernet Whole Home Network?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I was thinking that. Does anyone know if a SWM-16 is included in the $199 if the number of tuners in the system requires it?

If you have enough tuners/receivers that require a SWiM-16, then it's part of the upgrade.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

I was thinking that. Does anyone know if a SWM-16 is included in the $199 if the number of tuners in the system requires it?

Yes. Any equipment needed to make Whole-Home DVR work is covered, including like for like receiver and DVR swaps, if they are not SWiM compatible.

#23 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,702 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

Thank you very much! I appreciate it :)

But now, something else just occurred to me. I am also planning to upgrade one of our HR-20's (which is currently hooked up via SWM) to an HR-24. Is it just a matter of swapping out the receivers and connecting it in the exact same way?

Or, since the HR24 has built-in DECA, will it need to be hooked up in a similar fashion to the H25 to connect to my existing network? (BSF, splitter, DECA BB, etc)

Or since the HR-24 has an ethernet input, does it disable the DECA and operate like an older HR DVR in terms of networking when an ethernet connection is established?

The HR24 can be used in either an Ethernet connected OR a DECA connected manner but not both at the same time.

The H25 can be implemented using the latest Cinema Connection Kit which supports wireless and or wired connections. Its best as it has a coax pass through whereas the old non wireless model required a splitter to connect in.

You would need the BSF (Band stop filter) to prevent the DECA signals from being introduced to those receivers on the same splitter/SWM not using the DECA signals.

I currently run several H25s on a single 4 way splitter with the old style CCK which sends its Ethernet out to my central switch bridging my DECA "puff cloud" to my 7 Ethernet connected DVRs with great result.

As others have mentioned however unless you have some serious reasons why Ethernet *is* required, you might just let DirectTV set you up fully.

Don "that H25 is a smokin little receiver" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#24 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

Not to mention the fact, there is a chance the tech won't know how to get his HR20-100s working with DECA and he might end up getting all of them swapped out for newer HR2xs as well (don't count on this though, they don't have to do it but it seems like it happens a lot).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#25 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Bob has the right idea, but depending on which DECA you get, you'll need to add a 2-way splitter and a BSF to keep the DECA to between the H25 and the other DECA.

Sine the H25 can't power the DECA, again depending on which one he gets, he may need a power supply.

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Sine the H25 can't power the DECA, again depending on which one he gets, he may need a power supply.

These days nobody should be going the "white DECA" route [other than for a receiver], as the CCK-W is the most flexible for connecting and last I looked on DirecTV was about $30.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

So, I just hooked up the H25 using the configuration that had been suggested in the earlier posts.

I am connected to the internet according to the network status: however, the H25 is not seeing any networked DVRs.

As I had mentioned before, 7 HR20's are connected on the network via ethernet (on a WB616 multiswitch) & 1 HR24 (which I just activated) is connected via ethernet, as well, and is connected to a SWM-8.

Here's how I have the H25 hooked up...

SWM--> BSF--> WDCCK--> H25.

If I am understanding this correctly, I have created a DECA cloud that consists only of the H25. The BSF is isolating the DECA between the WDCCK and the H25.

It is then being bridged to the rest of the network through the ethernet connection from the WDCCK to the switch--> router.

Is this correct?

Any thoughts on why the H25 is not seeing the other DVRs, even though it is connected to the internet?

Thanks,

D

EDIT: (UPDATE) I just reset all other DVRs in the system and the H25 now sees them.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi Everyone,
EDIT: (UPDATE) I just reset all other DVRs in the system and the H25 now sees them.

SEE!!! !rolling
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

SEE!!! !rolling

Yeah. That was a, "DUH" moment. :lol:

But, whenever I had hooked up a new DVR in the past, it immediately connected to all other DVRs. I guess it's different with non-DVRs. (Or maybe it was the CCK. Who knows? I guess when all else fails... Reset Everything!!!) :D

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out. :)
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#30 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

:joy::up:

#31 OFFLINE   abw2002

abw2002

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have a Wireless DCCK on its way. I'm really interested in confirming your setup. I have wired ethernet already running on all the rest of my boxes. If I understand right, this is what you did?

The part I wanted to confirm is that you have the WDCCK then connected via ethernet cable to switch or router, right?

The BSF would go between my SWM 2-way splitter and the WDCCK, right?

I wish this dang H25 just had an ethernet port. LOL.

Thanks for confirming.

Anthony Wilson

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have a Wireless DCCK on its way. I'm really interested in confirming your setup. I have wired ethernet already running on all the rest of my boxes. If I understand right, this is what you did?

The part I wanted to confirm is that you have the WDCCK then connected via ethernet cable to switch or router, right?

The BSF would go between my SWM 2-way splitter and the WDCCK, right?

I wish this dang H25 just had an ethernet port. LOL.

Thanks for confirming.

Anthony Wilson

While I'm not the poster, I will confirm the WDECA/CCK works fine with ethernet only. Done it several/many times. The BSF is to block the DECA from the rest of your receivers/SWiM, so your position is correct for that.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   abw2002

abw2002

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the response. Now I just have to wait for the w/dcck & BSF to arrive. Hate that I can't use my iPad app for this box. Driving me nuts.

;-D

Thanks, again.

#34 OFFLINE   mbreuker

mbreuker

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

This is really good information and this looks like the right place to post my question related to this very same subject.

I have eight (8) DirecTV receivers in my house. Yes, one in just about every single room. They are:

2 Standard:
R16-500
D12-300

6 HD:
HR22-100 (2)
HR20-700
HR21-100
HR23-700
H21-200

These are all connected to a Zinwell 6x16 multi-switch

Four of the five HD-DVRs have a hard-wired Ethernet connection via CAT6 cable to a gigabit router. They all see the Internet fine, see each other fine and the computer see them fine. What they can't do is share DVR content because the Whole-Home DVR (WHDVR) service is not enabled. I tried once last year to get it enabled and can't do it online so I had to call. I was told I had to upgrade one of my boxes (a standard DVR - since upgraded to an HDDVR) and get an installer to install a DECA/SWIM kit to run Ethernet over coax to all of the receivers for $200 (plus the hassle of a install). I declined.

After reading this and other forums on the subject, I am seeing a lot of evidence of people running WHDVR over Ethernet just fine, without the DECA/SWIM setup. Many people suggested calling or e-mailing DirecTV and just tell them to enable the service anyway. So I did. And failed miserably. I was told by the CSR that they can't even turn on the service without placing the $200 installation order for the DECA/SWIM setup, which I am still not entirely sure I need. I only want to share the DVR with three of the HDDVR receivers that happen to already be connected to the network. Why all the additional crap? Does someone here have a good answer or suggestion?

#35 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

This is really good information and this looks like the right place to post my question related to this very same subject.

I have eight (8) DirecTV receivers in my house. Yes, one in just about every single room. They are:

2 Standard:
R16-500
D12-300

6 HD:
HR22-100 (2)
HR20-700
HR21-100
HR23-700
H21-200

These are all connected to a Zinwell 6x16 multi-switch

Four of the five HD-DVRs have a hard-wired Ethernet connection via CAT6 cable to a gigabit router. They all see the Internet fine, see each other fine and the computer see them fine. What they can't do is share DVR content because the Whole-Home DVR (WHDVR) service is not enabled. I tried once last year to get it enabled and can't do it online so I had to call. I was told I had to upgrade one of my boxes (a standard DVR - since upgraded to an HDDVR) and get an installer to install a DECA/SWIM kit to run Ethernet over coax to all of the receivers for $200 (plus the hassle of a install). I declined.

After reading this and other forums on the subject, I am seeing a lot of evidence of people running WHDVR over Ethernet just fine, without the DECA/SWIM setup. Many people suggested calling or e-mailing DirecTV and just tell them to enable the service anyway. So I did. And failed miserably. I was told by the CSR that they can't even turn on the service without placing the $200 installation order for the DECA/SWIM setup, which I am still not entirely sure I need. I only want to share the DVR with three of the HDDVR receivers that happen to already be connected to the network. Why all the additional crap? Does someone here have a good answer or suggestion?

Check out the stickied thread near the top of this page about getting MRV set up over Ethernet.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#36 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hello All,

I am planning to upgrade one of my HD receivers to an H25. Since it doesn't have an ethernet jack, I was wondering how I can incorporate the H25 into my existing system. I have whole home networking via ethernet and am using a combination of WB616's and a SWM-8. The H25 will be hooked up to the SWM.

I already have 8 HR's (not via DECA) networked together. What do I need to do so that the H25 can "see" the other DVRs and have access to their playlists? Or does the SWM already allow receivers hooked up to it to communicate with one another via the coax only?

Thanks,

D

still reading the thread but what I would do is the following

get a CCK-W and a BSF

use the CCK-W in pass through and put the BSF on the to swm side of the CCK-W so that it blocks the DECA from reaching the others but strips out the networking part, this would give you an ethernet port for the h25

#37 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Yep, replacing 4 H20s with newer receivers (possibly 4 H25s) would be worth an extra $100 to me.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want my DVR('s) replaced when they can use a white deca, to much recording would be lost, and he said he had 8 HR20's (though the HR20-100 has special needs the HR20-700 is simple)

spam firewall