Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I delete old attachments?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I need to add some pictures to a thread. I do not have enough space left on dbstalk to do it. These pics are on my iphone (taken with iphone). I could not find a way to manage attachments on the dbstalk web app.

Now I moved over to my laptop. I still cannot find where I can delete old attachments. I can view them and there certainly are some real old screen shots I've posted over the course of the last few months... but I would like to clean them out.

I know I could use an image hosting provider, but when replying to a thread from an iphone it is so much easier to just add the images from the camera roll rather than go to multiple apps. If on a PC yes you could have multiple windows side by side and cut and paste IMG links.

Thanks for the help!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Go to UserCP tab at the top of the screen, scroll down and look on the left part of the screen toward the bottom - Attachments. On the right side of each attachment there is a check box, at the bottom of the screen there a box to delete the checked boxes.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Ok I see there are no check boxes in the right most column. Is that an issue with Safari? Well I will try some other browsers and report back

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#4 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

I would like to be able to delete som attachments from 2007 and before, but there is no box to select those attacments. it will only let me select attachments from 2009 foward.

#5 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

I would like to be able to delete som attachments from 2007 and before, but there is no box to select those attacments. it will only let me select attachments from 2009 foward.

Cj, mine is like that but there are NO checkboxes at all for any.

Attachments range from 10/1/11 through 11/09/10.

I tried IE9, Firefox 7, Chrome, and Safari

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#6 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

Cj, mine is like that but there are NO checkboxes at all for any.

Attachments range from 10/1/11 through 11/09/10.

I tried IE9, Firefox 7, Chrome, and Safari

WTF? Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

#7 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Yeah def. a bug in this site.

I ended up making an imageshack account. I can upload straight from my iphone camera. The only thing is the imageshack iphone app does not seem to give me the URL to the image.

So it's a multi-step process.
1. Get the image onto imageshack using the iphone application.
2. Move over to a Computer, log into imageshack and generate the forum code for posting.
3. Paste said code into a message here on DBSTalk.

I would of liked an easier solution but I don't know how to get this resolved. I will be forever taking over 9 MB of storage on here with no way to delete old stuff.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Are you guys running any kind of script or ad or popup blockers?

I tried, and I see checkboxes next to all of my attachments, and I have some as old as 2007 and as new as 2011 available to be deleted.

I remember having some issues a year or so back with the chat section on this site but I had to unblock some things that my browser was restricting in order for things to function right.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

Are you guys running any kind of script or ad or popup blockers?

I tried, and I see checkboxes next to all of my attachments, and I have some as old as 2007 and as new as 2011 available to be deleted.

I remember having some issues a year or so back with the chat section on this site but I had to unblock some things that my browser was restricting in order for things to function right.

Not that I'm aware of. I didn't install any at least. I tried all of those browsers on my desktop PC. Now I am on my laptop PC and at least with Google Chrome, the last column does not include a checkbox.

Here is my browser information:

Google Chrome 16.0.904.0 (Official Build 104662) dev-m
OS Windows
WebKit 535.7 (@96998)
JavaScript V8 3.6.4.1
Flash 11,0,1,152
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.904.0 Safari/535.7

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

I just checked mine in Firefox, and have the check boxes on the far right. Are you sure you dont have a scroll bar at the bottom, and they are just being cut off the screen?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:17 AM

here is a screen shot from firefox, notice items checked on far right are only checkable till 2009 next attachment is 2007 and the check box is not there. The screen is fully scrolled over as you can see the check boxes in same column.

#12 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

I just noticed that all the attachments I am not able to remove are in threads that are locked. Could that be the reason I am not able to remove them?

#13 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

I just noticed that all the attachments I am not able to remove are in threads that are locked. Could that be the reason I am not able to remove them?

Hmm me too.... well that's a major bug because the type of participation I do here sometimes involves threads that have an opportunity to be replaced with new ones every week (therefore the old ones get locked).

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

The issue is that those attachments are in locked threads.

Cypherx: I have cleaned out your attachments so you should be good to go. I would recommend deleting your attachments before the threads are locked so you don't run into this problem again. If you do, contact one of the DirecTV mods and they will take care of it.

cj9788: I have deleted a few of your very old attachments.

#15 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Thanks Chris, will do!

Take care.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#16 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Chris, I appreciate it.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

speaking of attachments, why can't you upload the same attachment twice?

I was going to upload an attachment of my set-up earlier this week because I needed some help troubleshooting an issue. It wouldn't let me, because I had uploaded that same attachment to a post several months ago.

So, I had to go to that thread and delete the attachment (which makes the prior post a little weird now if anyone resurrects it) in order to upload it again.

Why does it do that? I would think there'd be lots of times when a diagram or such would need to be uploaded by the same person on more than one occasion.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

speaking of attachments, why can't you upload the same attachment twice?

I was going to upload an attachment of my set-up earlier this week because I needed some help troubleshooting an issue. It wouldn't let me, because I had uploaded that same attachment to a post several months ago.

So, I had to go to that thread and delete the attachment (which makes the prior post a little weird now if anyone resurrects it) in order to upload it again.

Why does it do that? I would think there'd be lots of times when a diagram or such would need to be uploaded by the same person on more than one occasion.

Its to keep the attachment server from having duplicates. If you need to re-use an attachment, simply link to it.

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Sometimes the attachments are posted in parts of the forum that not everyone has access to.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#20 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

Sometimes the attachments are posted in parts of the forum that not everyone has access to.

Couldn't you just give the attachment you want to reuse a different name and then attach the file with the new name.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...