Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is 1.2M *D dish protected under Fed law?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bgrpph

bgrpph

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Trying to get HD from *D in Honolulu- will need the 1.2Meter dish- Does this dish come under FCC protective legislation that limits the restrictions that can be placed on satellite dishes by homeowner associations or is it too big or otherwise ineligible? thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Did you read FCC doc ? I recall Alaska had that provision, so do research for Hawaii ...

see second post here http://www.dbstalk.c...highlight=otard for URL of the doc

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Off topic.... :D I'd love to have one of those, anyone know where you can get them without $100 for the dish, $100 for the mount, and $100 for the LNB?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Off topic.... :D I'd love to have one of those, anyone know where you can get them without $100 for the dish, $100 for the mount, and $100 for the LNB?

Yea, use a C clamp to clamp a SWM3LNB to a 1M or 1.2M FTA dish :) Solid 100's

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

Trying to get HD from *D in Honolulu- will need the 1.2Meter dish- Does this dish come under FCC protective legislation that limits the restrictions that can be placed on satellite dishes by homeowner associations or is it too big or otherwise ineligible? thanks

:welcome_s

The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas.

So not covered in HI. Have you talked with Dish or DirecTV? Do you even need a 1.2M dish?

#6 OFFLINE   bgrpph

bgrpph

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

thanks for info folks-
i did read the FCC site which shows OTARD applies only to
dish up to 1 meter or less ( except alaska)-
checking tomorrow with local sat installer who does both *D & *E to see specifically what required here in HI for HD w prem/sports.
Few neighbors have 1.2 meter dishes installed w/o homeowner assoc approval- guess they'll be issues with HOA if HD service is avail from *D with smaller 1 meter dish-

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

The FCC and their OTARD is very pro-user. I SUSPECT (but don't know), that if you had to have a larger dish in Hawaii to receive a signal, the OTARD would provide for that. You said some neighbors have the 1.2 dish; do you see other/smaller dishes also installed?

#8 OFFLINE   bgrpph

bgrpph

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

yes, Dish carries HD service on the smaller <1 M dishes. I just verified with local sat installer who installs both *D & *E that a 1.2 meter dish is required in HI to receive HD & prem channels.
reading OTARD it seems the 1.2 meter isn't covered here so it could be restricted - interesting-

#9 OFFLINE   bgrpph

bgrpph

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

sorry 1.2 meter dish required by *D for HD service. *E uses 1 meter dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...