Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Application for iPad 1.3.1: First Look/Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
227 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

There will come a time for that...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

It rocks.

Thought I was stuck with all sorts of problems because it wouldn't recognize my receiver - then, cripes, I forgot I got a refurb to replace my prev DVR a week ago and never had checked to see if my wifi dongle was recognized for Web access.

It wasn't.

Ran through the login at the DVR, again, and everything is working sweet as possible.

Delighted.

#83 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

Yes, the Dish iPad app has had streaming for quite awhile. Just like the Direct one, it requires you to be within your own network.

Let me clarify this so there isn't confusion. With Dish the streaming was only with recorded stuff, no live streaming.

I used to set a recording to start just before going to bed sometimes, and then watch the recording slightly delayed... Worked fine.

I think I like the way D* is doing this a bit better even though there are only some programs/channels available. It gives a base to grow from...

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#84 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

works great!!! But why so few channels? That deserves a big BOOOO!!!!
DirecTV customer since 1995

#85 OFFLINE   General Custer

General Custer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I bet your mute toggle is set to control screen rotation.

Go into settings, change the toggle back to Mute, toggle between mute off/on, verify mute is off, go into the app, hear the sweet sounds of live TV... leave the mute off and you should be able to move it back to controlling screen rotation without affecting your sound.

Hopefully this works...

This worked. Thanks!

How'd you figure this out?

#86 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

works great!!! But why so few channels? That deserves a big BOOOO!!!!

Are you kidding me? DirecTV tosses out a major, FREE bone and you're not happy with it because the opening day channel selection is limited? You should show DirecTV your displeasure by uninstalling the app until more channels are made available.

Me? I love it so far. It works great.

#87 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Don't own an iPad but that may change with this App. Nice review.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#88 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well if it doesn't even launch if it detects a jailbroken ipad, I'm not even going to update.

They should of at least let you run the remote control, look at the guide and playlist. Don't know what the big deal is about being jailbroken anyway. It has to be on your network for one, and 2, your logged in with your DirecTV username and password... so that's two factors of authentication proving what content you are allowed to watch.

Sitting this one out until a crack is developed. If I get some time maybe I'll try to modify TWC's crack to work with it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#89 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Look at it as getting a free STB that has no monthly fee either.

A free STB that isn't a DVR and that has only some of your channels. Not blaming DirecTV here -- it's all contractual nonsense -- but it's not really a set-top box equivalent.

Still, it's a nice feature and if the programmers get their collective heads out of their collective asses and realize that these kinds of things are necessary to keep people's attention in a multi-screen world, hopefully more channels will be added over time. To the many of you that are complaining, you're all using common sense. Copyright holders sometimes do that ("why should they steal my movie and load it on the internet for people to download 100 copies of?") and often don't. This case is the latter. Time Warner, Cablevision, et al. have been fighting this battle for 2 years or more. The programmers have the temerity to ask for more money to allow the cable / satellite companies to send the same programs to the same customers over a different type of "set top box" -- in this case a tablet. It's quite frankly moronic; they should be begging to be included free. Why? Because attention spans are divided and even having 20% of the viewer's attention on that iPad is better than 0%. We'll see how this goes over time, but hopefully eventually more and more channels will be added.

As for live transcoding of DVR stuff, the iPad has plenty of power to manage that. Slingbox does the equivalent in real time just fine and I promise you the iPad in its current incarnation has far more processing power at its disposal. It's obviously not in the current version, but I suspect it will come down the road. At that point, this kind of solution seems to get really compelling.

(Everyone should see the current version of the app by now, just be aware there is a thing with the App Store that when new app versions are loaded, they take a while to propagate to everyone. That's why some of you upgraded early and didn't immediately get 1.3.1. The propagation typically completes in a couple of hours or less and seems to have done so by now.)

Edited by markrogo, 26 October 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#90 OFFLINE   stevesussman71

stevesussman71

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Recordings come from DIRECTV's servers. I don't know what the minimum speed requirement is.

Didn't seem this was right at first but now it is talking to the internet intermittently. It seems to buffer quite a bit a la Netflix.

Peaks at 15-20Mb/s for TNT HD... again about the same as Netflix.

#91 OFFLINE   cskenney

cskenney

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

Didn't seem this was right at first but now it is talking to the internet intermittently. It seems to buffer quite a bit a la Netflix.

Peaks at 15-20Mb/s for TNT HD... again about the same as Netflix.

That could be a show stopper for me. I live in a rural area (one reason I use satellite TV) and my internet bandwidth is not good enough for Netflix or VOD. Why does my satellite provider need to consume bandwidth from another service?

#92 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

This is certainly a big update and will just get better over time.

The next update I would like to see is a unified or viewable to-do list with the iPad app. Right now the consolidated and filterable by dvr playlist is very nice and was a much needed update.

And after that (or before, I'm flexible) a HDDVR playback to the iPad would be very nice.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#93 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

NO ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN U? FAIL. BUt keep going DIRECTV. Your getting there.

#94 OFFLINE   ecamp02

ecamp02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Forgive me if I've missed this, but is it actually streaming from the reciever in my home over my own network or is it streaming from the Internet? I have satellite internet service with usage caps and that's the reason it's important to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

#95 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Forgive me if I've missed this, but is it actually streaming from the reciever in my home over my own network or is it streaming from the Internet? I have satellite internet service with usage caps and that's the reason it's important to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

Not for you then. It's streaming from the internet.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#96 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

It's not streaming from your receivers, it's streaming over the internet. It needs to see an HDDVR on your home network to enable streaming but, again, the video content comes over the internet.

EDIT: yeah, like litzdog911 said. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#97 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

I wouldn't say that at all. The iPhone app is very robust, it just isn't designed to do the same thing.

I guess I should be more specific. With regard to being able to stream content, the iPhone is being left behind.

While the iPhone app may be robust, it is really only good for one thing: recording shows remotely. That's a neat feature, but I'd really like to be able to stream shows to my iPhone.

#98 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

Warning! This will not install on a ios device that has been jailbroken!

A hack is available!

#99 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

NO ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN U? FAIL. BUt keep going DIRECTV. Your getting there.

Patience.

Warning! This will not install on a ios device that has been jailbroken!

A hack is available!

The reason it won't install on a jailbroken device... is the same reason you can't install on jailbroken devices from other content providers. DIRECTV has to show in good faith that it's not allowing its programming to be pirated.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#100 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Yes, the Dish iPad app has had streaming for quite awhile. Just like the Direct one, it requires you to be within your own network.

Thanks for the info. Sometimes I just like to know things.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...