Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Remote Shootout

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

I have used option 1,2,4,5, along with a bunch of other harmony remotes.

I have to admit, the included remote is what I use more than anything, although, if my iPad is in front of me, it is easily my favorite.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

They're $50 now and an excellent value for that price.

I have to disagree. I wouldn't pay $20 for one based on my experience with one.

I like it's advantages over harmony like unlimited macros. The 900 can't do one button macros (sequences) at all. I also like the fact that I have
complete control over what's in my macros.

I really don't care about macros.

Harmony forces you to accept what the wizard builds.

No it doesn't, you can edit what the wizard results are.

And my Xsight can go a month or more between charges.

How often it needs charging isn't a big deal. I put mine in the charger most every night anyways.

True it only supports 1 DirecTV receiver in RF, but that's still 1 more than anybody else on the market.

That's wrong. The DirecTV remote you get with an HD DVR can do 3. My Harmony 900 is currently set to control 3 receivers via RF.

It would be nice if it did more, but I can't imagine a lot of people using such a capability. Even if you have lots of DirecTV receivers, you'd probably still have one remote per room, so just one per remote per room would work fine for most.

It shouldn't matter how many people may or may not use a feature. If you advertise a remote saying it will control DirecTV receivers either 1. say it has a limit or 2. make it unlimited.

I have to disagree that it's cheaply made.

It's made with a very thin plastic. I almost broke it just trying to put in the battery the first time.

I've had no hardware issues like I have with harmony, like buttons wearing out. I have UEI remotes that are over 10 years old and still going strong. I can't say that for any harmony by a long shot.

I don't think Harmony remotes have been around for 10 years so technically no one can say that. I've never had a Harmony wear out on me. The only reason I've picked up newer ones is features. The only reasons I went from my old 880, which is still in great shape, is for the colored buttons and RF.

Early adopters did have to suffer through the first software versions.

And that was the worst...

I disagree on the ergonomics. Perhaps it just has a different layout than you're accustomed to.

It's a bulky rectangle, not ergo-dynamic at all. It has absolutely no contour to it at all.

There were tons of returns on this remote. And it doesn't speak much for a remote that was $300 that is now $50. Sounds like they are doing anything they can to actually sell them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#128 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

No it doesn't, you can edit what the wizard results are.

Really? How do I change the order of commands or delete commands exactly?

That's wrong. The DirecTV remote you get with an HD DVR can do 3. My Harmony 900 is currently set to control 3 receivers via RF.

Show me any universal remote besides the DirecTV remote that can control DirecTV natively via RF. It doesn't exist. Unplug your 900's RF base and see how well it works your DirecTV boxes via RF.

I don't think Harmony remotes have been around for 10 years so technically no one can say that. I've never had a Harmony wear out on me. The only reason I've picked up newer ones is features. The only reasons I went from my old 880, which is still in great shape, is for the colored buttons and RF.

I don't need 10 years. I only need 3 months for the buttons on a harmony to wear out. My last 550 lasted about that long.

It's a bulky rectangle, not ergo-dynamic at all. It has absolutely no contour to it at all.

Because it's not peanut shaped, it's not ergonomic? The button layout is perfectly functional, it's well balanced and has a grip strip in the middle, and the button group shapes are quite easy to learn by feel. That's what ergo means to me.

Obviously you're not a fan of the Xsight. But I can't take harmony seriously either because none of their new remotes can do basic macros. If I had to press 6 or 7 buttons every time I had to toggle captions, I'd throw my remote against the wall. I've got a lot better things to do with $250.

To each his own.

#129 OFFLINE   DallasFlier

DallasFlier

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

I don't need 10 years. I only need 3 months for the buttons on a harmony to wear out. My last 550 lasted about that long.

Sorry, but I call BS on that. My Harmony One is 4 years old, has been the primary remote used for its entire life and the buttons all work just fine.

Obviously you're not a fan of the Xsight. But I can't take harmony seriously either because none of their new remotes can do basic macros. If I had to press 6 or 7 buttons every time I had to toggle captions, I'd throw my remote against the wall. I've got a lot better things to do with $250.

To each his own.

Huh? I have my Harmony One programmed with a macro (sequence) to toggle captions. Works great!

#130 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Show me any universal remote besides the DirecTV remote that can control DirecTV natively via RF. It doesn't exist. Unplug your 900's RF base and see how well it works your DirecTV boxes via RF.
Because it's not peanut shaped, it's not ergonomic? The button layout is perfectly functional, it's well balanced and has a grip strip in the middle, and the button group shapes are quite easy to learn by feel. That's what ergo means to me.

To each his own.

You go into the settings for the activity and you can re-order, add commands, or delete some commands. I don't have the software in front of me right now but I promise it can be done.

You are correct, no Harmony remote can control the DirecTV receivers over RF directly. They must use a base station.

If your 550 wore out that quick something was wrong. Like I said my 880 is around 6 years old, and is just now starting to have issues with a couple of buttons (mostly Volume up and down). That's pretty good in my opinion considering how much of a beating it has taken.

Can't speak about the ergonomics as I've never tried one, but I do really prefer the ergonomics of the 650/700/One/900 over any other remote I have used so far.

Not sure about Macors on the newer remotes. I know they work on the 880/One. I've never needed them though. I don't use captions often so I've never needed a macro to turn them on and off. Everything else I need is taken care of by the activities themselves.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#131 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Huh? I have my Harmony One programmed with a macro (sequence) to toggle captions. Works great!

Is a sequence limited to 5 commands? It takes me 6 or 7 to turn captioning ON. I can turn it off with 5.

#132 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

In the Harmony software.

It doesn't matter if it's natively or via RF Blaster, it's still RF!

I'm gonna call shenanigans on this one...

Because it's not peanut shaped, it's not ergonomic?

No, but since it is shaped like a brick it's not.

The button layout is perfectly functional, it's well balanced and has a grip strip in the middle, and the button group shapes are quite easy to learn by feel. That's what ergo means to me.

You clearly have a different idea of ergo-dynamic from the rest of the world.

Obviously you're not a fan of the Xsight.

Nope, and no amount of praising it is going to change that. I wouldn't even accept one if it was given to me.

But I can't take harmony seriously either because none of their new remotes can do basic macros.

Who needs macros? I can survive in a world without macros.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#133 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,200 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

Is a sequence limited to 5 commands? It takes me 6 or 7 to turn captioning ON. I can turn it off with 5.

You're limited to 5 commands in a macro but if you're good you can program a single button to do more than one thing if you learn in RAW mode.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#134 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

You're limited to 5 commands in a macro but if you're good you can program a single button to do more than one thing if you learn in RAW mode.

On the 900 you're limited to ZERO commands because it can't do sequences at all. You could squeeze a couple of commands into one raw learn, but never 6 or 7.

It doesn't matter if it's natively or via RF Blaster, it's still RF!

Then your argument completely falls apart. Just about any RF remote can control any number of DirecTV receivers, including Xsight. If you take "native" out of the criteria, then I can control 18 DirecTV boxes with my Xsight via RF, same as a 900.

The issue was you hated the Xsight mainly because it controlled only 1 DirecTV box via native RF. Your 900 can't control ANY via native RF. Both the Xsight and 900 can control any number by via their RF transceivers. So what is the point of your argument. They both have exactly the same RF capability if native isn't considered. My point is with Xsight you can control one DirecTV box via native RF with a $50 universal remote and no RF bases or IR blasters to buy or connect. No other universal remote remote can do that, period.

Don't believe me on the harmony 550? Just google it and you'll find many, many experiences the same as mine (amazon reviews, logitech forums, etc.).

#135 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

If anyone would like to discuss the merits of their remotes please start a new thread. Let's not go back and forth on buttons and RF/IR.

:backtotop

It wasn’t until recently that I started using the DIRECTV remote. In the spare room it’s just the receiver and TV. For the living room and the bedroom I’ve always used a universal because I need to control too many components and the DIRECTV remote doesn’t will with that. I’ve used an MX-810(just upgraded to an MX-880 but haven’t programmed it yet) in the living room for four years and a Harmony 550 in the bedroom for about the same length of time. Both good remotes but I like the flexibility of the URC remotes better...but both are so much better at handling multiple components and macros (which the RCxx's won't even do) than the DIRECTV remote.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#136 OFFLINE   fwlogue

fwlogue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Harmony 1 or IPAD
Fred

AU9 > WB68 and SWM5 > 3 - HR20-700, 2 - R15, 1 - H20-600

#137 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Now it's mostly iPad, been using an MX850 since it came out years ago. Love the iPad app, looking forward to more features and updates!

#138 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

My favorite universals are the $15 URC-R6 or the $25 URC-WR7, which has a superior "cruise control" keypad, IMHO.

They both have full macro capability, but you manually program them in, as opposed to doing it via your PC. The WR7 is backlit, controls more devices and allows 13 20-step macros vs. 6 20-step macros on the R6. Both remotes have "learning" capability on almost every key.

Posted ImagePosted Image

For the past 4-5 years, these have also been my favorite. There's also a version called the UR7 Gamer remote. The problem is the buttons wear out and stop responding after about a year or two. I've searched for a fix (including talking with the remote master himself, Edmund) but there doesn't seem to be a fix. And that problem is happening again right now.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to search the net again and buy 2 more. In my house we require 2 remotes in the Living Room. The low cost of these remotes has made that easier. I also love that its tactile, since my eyes are not the best.

I'd love any cost-effective suggestions for my 2-remote-users household. I need to custom control 5 devices.

#139 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

The daily Woot deal is the Xsight 15 for $30 shipped.

I'm remote poor at this point so I'm going to think about this for a bit, but I'll likely buy one to try it out.

#140 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

The problem is the buttons wear out and stop responding after about a year or two.

That's really unfortunate.

It took me + /- a week to get my WR7 set up the way that I wanted it, but I've been happy with it since then.

Mine is in my bedroom so it isn't seeing daily action, but if I got 2 years out of it, I'd be disappointed with the $20 spent.

#141 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Looks like I'm somewhat late to the remote party. :D

At the moment, we exclusively use the Directv NFL football remotes and iPad ap. My gf and other family members prefer the Directv phaser over a more universal remote solution. In the past, we have used the TSU1000 & TSU2000 prontos with rf kits (retired), a Monster AVL300 (happily " disappeared " during spring cleaning), RTI T2, and a Sony RM2000.

Attached Thumbnails

• Directv remotes.jpg

My Setup
16 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#142 OFFLINE   Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image
I don't know... I really liked my RM-AV2000. I even wrote it an obituary when it died: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=107239

I have one of those in a drawer. Used it for awhile about 10 years ago but never really got attached to it. At the time I didn't have much to control and it was a little unwieldy. If somebody wanted it I could be talked out of it.

#143 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

I had something similar to the Sony shown above, forget which model but the key to a good remote is being able to FEEL the buttons in the dark, and you can't do that with any of those touch screen programmable units despite how cool and customizable they are.

I really like the standard DTV remote, once programmed with volume lock (used to be called punch-thru) it runs my AVR and DVD/BluRay player as well. Only draw back is it can't power cycle everything at once.

My brother uses a Harmony and I tried to get the wife to use one, but she rejected it due to small buttons with poor placement.

I use the iPad app as well, but since it can't control the volume of my AVR its only used for checking the guide and setting up a recording quickly without the need to turn on my whole theater system. Someone needs to make an AVRs that auto-detect an HDMI signal, turns on (if off) and switches over to that signal. I know that was theory behind HDMI control but I've never seen it work in a mixed brand system.

#144 OFFLINE   jclam

jclam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

I'm using iRule on my iPad...continuously fine tuning the look/feel (most recently to include 2-way feedback with my 70X5FD, SC-57 and my DirecTV receivers). Here's some pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• Elite Home.PNG
  • Elite Watch.PNG
  • DirecTV.PNG

#145 OFFLINE   NiTruS

NiTruS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Roomie!!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

HR44-500 - 65" Panasonic Plasma VT50
HR24-500 - 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR22-100 - 32" Dynex LED
HR21-100 - 32" Samsung LCD

SWM16-BBDECA WHMRV

#146 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm using iRule on my iPad...continuously fine tuning the look/feel (most recently to include 2-way feedback with my 70X5FD, SC-57 and my DirecTV receivers). Here's some pics:

The remote for DIRECTV® shown is exactly the same as the DIRECTV® app- so does it just incorporate the app, just the remote skin, switch to it, or what?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#147 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,881 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am new to the iPad world. What exactly do I need to get in order to control my AV system with my iPad?

Thanks

#148 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

I doubt many Audio receivers have IP control, but for the DIRECTV® app, your receiver(s) need to be connected to a home LAN, with external devices turned on in Settings. The app should find those receivers so configured. (IIRC!)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#149 OFFLINE   jclam

jclam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

The remote for DIRECTV® shown is exactly the same as the DIRECTV® app- so does it just incorporate the app, just the remote skin, switch to it, or what?

Its just the skin. I use it as a background, put invisible buttons over the background buttons and then assign the ip device codes for the DTV receiver to the buttons. Works great.

Edited by jclam, 01 January 2012 - 04:51 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...