Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Remote Shootout

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Looks like I'm somewhat late to the remote party. :D

At the moment, we exclusively use the Directv NFL football remotes and iPad ap. My gf and other family members prefer the Directv phaser over a more universal remote solution. In the past, we have used the TSU1000 & TSU2000 prontos with rf kits (retired), a Monster AVL300 (happily " disappeared " during spring cleaning), RTI T2, and a Sony RM2000.

Attached Thumbnails

• Directv remotes.jpg

My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image
I don't know... I really liked my RM-AV2000. I even wrote it an obituary when it died: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=107239

I have one of those in a drawer. Used it for awhile about 10 years ago but never really got attached to it. At the time I didn't have much to control and it was a little unwieldy. If somebody wanted it I could be talked out of it.

#143 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

I had something similar to the Sony shown above, forget which model but the key to a good remote is being able to FEEL the buttons in the dark, and you can't do that with any of those touch screen programmable units despite how cool and customizable they are.

I really like the standard DTV remote, once programmed with volume lock (used to be called punch-thru) it runs my AVR and DVD/BluRay player as well. Only draw back is it can't power cycle everything at once.

My brother uses a Harmony and I tried to get the wife to use one, but she rejected it due to small buttons with poor placement.

I use the iPad app as well, but since it can't control the volume of my AVR its only used for checking the guide and setting up a recording quickly without the need to turn on my whole theater system. Someone needs to make an AVRs that auto-detect an HDMI signal, turns on (if off) and switches over to that signal. I know that was theory behind HDMI control but I've never seen it work in a mixed brand system.

#144 OFFLINE   jclam

jclam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

I'm using iRule on my iPad...continuously fine tuning the look/feel (most recently to include 2-way feedback with my 70X5FD, SC-57 and my DirecTV receivers). Here's some pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• Elite Home.PNG
  • Elite Watch.PNG
  • DirecTV.PNG

#145 OFFLINE   NiTruS

NiTruS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Roomie!!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

HR44-500 - 65" Panasonic Plasma VT50
HR24-500 - 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR22-100 - 32" Dynex LED
HR21-100 - 32" Samsung LCD

SWM16-BBDECA WHMRV

#146 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm using iRule on my iPad...continuously fine tuning the look/feel (most recently to include 2-way feedback with my 70X5FD, SC-57 and my DirecTV receivers). Here's some pics:

The remote for DIRECTV® shown is exactly the same as the DIRECTV® app- so does it just incorporate the app, just the remote skin, switch to it, or what?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#147 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am new to the iPad world. What exactly do I need to get in order to control my AV system with my iPad?

Thanks

#148 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

I doubt many Audio receivers have IP control, but for the DIRECTV® app, your receiver(s) need to be connected to a home LAN, with external devices turned on in Settings. The app should find those receivers so configured. (IIRC!)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#149 OFFLINE   jclam

jclam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

The remote for DIRECTV® shown is exactly the same as the DIRECTV® app- so does it just incorporate the app, just the remote skin, switch to it, or what?

Its just the skin. I use it as a background, put invisible buttons over the background buttons and then assign the ip device codes for the DTV receiver to the buttons. Works great.

Edited by jclam, 01 January 2012 - 04:51 PM.

spam firewall