Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Kelsey Grammer in Boss on Starz

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Starz has made the first episode free on line and on demand. Premiers Oct 21.

The series follows Tom Kane, the mayor of Chicago, who has recently been diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disorder. Determined to remain in charge, Kane conceals the disease from everyone around him except his own physician, Dr Ella Harris. Those around Kane are too busy with their own lives to notice anything unusual. Kane's marriage to his wife Meredith is nothing more than one of convenience. Kane's closest advisors, Kitty O'Neill and Ezra Stone, begin to suspect something is wrong with the Mayor but respect him too much to ask any questions, while State Treasurer Ben Zajac is too busy cultivating his political ambitions to become the next Governor of Illinois to notice anything out of the ordinary. Kane's daughter, Emma, is the only one who suspects that something is wrong with her father. But does she know enough to uncover his secret and what will it mean for his political career?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Well, looks like this series is rather true to life in a sense. Almost all our elected officials in the city, C®ook County, and Springfield are mentally out of whack.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well, looks like this series is rather true to life in a sense. Almost all our elected officials in America are mentally out of whack.

Fixed for you. ;)

The show looks good.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm looking forward to see how Kelsey Grammer does in such a different role for him.

#5 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm looking forward to see how Kelsey Gramme does in such a different role for him.

He played a scumbag quite well in Medium a while back.

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

He played a scumbag quite well in Medium a while back.

I don't think I've ever seen him in anything besides Cheers and Frasier (and the tabloids :D). Thus my curiosity.

#7 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

Frasier Crane's catchphrase was "I'm listening." The first episode of Boss is entitled "Listen." I'm looking forward to the new show, but really, couldn't they have made a bigger effort to distance themselves? :)

#8 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

Got done watching ep. 1, like it a lot, too bad it won't be a long run because of certain story lines.

#9 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

I'm rather tired of premium channels original series all having a "bad person" as the protagonist.

Do they all have to be that way?

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

Got done watching ep. 1, like it a lot, too bad it won't be a long run because of certain story lines.

IMHO "a long run" has become three seasons which this show could carry well. No guarantees that Starz will run it that long, though.

I'm rather tired of premium channels original series all having a "bad person" as the protagonist.

Do they all have to be that way?

It balances the broadcast networks' prime time schedule protagonists the majority of which are "good cops." ;)

Kelsey Grammer is showing his acting skills on this show, finally showcasing his Juilliard and stage background. But while I enjoyed this premier and think the show could be very intriguing with strong character development, my wife dislikes the dark & violent drama on premium channels.

From a "believability" standpoint, this drama gets far more points than any "CSI" franchise fantasy with all that tech not available to 99.9% of law enforcement. But Americans do like to believe in fantasy.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#11 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Well, looks like this series is rather true to life in a sense. Almost all our elected officials in the city, C®ook County, and Springfield are mentally out of whack.

The situation portrayed in this series (Boss) is not indicative of the traditonal " mentally out of whack" public servant of Cook County and Illinois. Just my personal opinion, but it is kind of sad to see someone deteriorate mentally as a result of the diagnosis of the illness. i dont view this as being synonymous with corruption.
"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

It balances the broadcast networks' prime time schedule protagonists the majority of which are "good cops." ;)

That could be. I never see any of those shows.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#13 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Frasier Crane's catchphrase was "I'm listening." The first episode of Boss is entitled "Listen." I'm looking forward to the new show, but really, couldn't they have made a bigger effort to distance themselves? :)

Think maybe Listen came from the way he got that dude's attention in his office? I'd darn sure listen :)

I think I will enjoy Grammer showing his acting skills in this one. Watching the very sad mental deterioration of this character may be a bit tough. I formed the opinion that he is a very strong willed person. Now, corrupt or not I haven't made up my mind.

I did enjoy the rooftop view changing while he was giving the history lesson to the young politician. That was a neat touch.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#14 OFFLINE   dairack

dairack

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

Actually, BOSS has already been renewed for a second season. I saw the first episode as well and really enjoyed it - Kelsey Grammer's performance is stellar IMO.

Will anyone be watching the second episode this Friday at 10/9pm ET/PT? I can't wait

I'm helping STARZ spread the word on this series so if you have any questions let me know.

---
Derek

Edited by dairack, 01 December 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:09 PM

The show definitely appealed to me. I plan to watch the series.
"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

#16 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

I caught up with all 3 episodes over the weekend and love it. Grammer is great in this -- compelling storylines too. I'm in for the season. :up: Also, glad to hear it's already renewed for a second season.

#17 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Today I was thinking of the scene where Kane is on the phone guiding the office to tell the guy at the press conference to keep asking the question about Miami. Hope to see Grammer get a nomination for his role.

#18 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

Today I was thinking of the scene where Kane is on the phone guiding the office to tell the guy at the press conference to keep asking the question about Miami. Hope to see Grammer get a nomination for his role.

Yeah, that was great. "Ask him again" (repeated several times)

#19 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

I am loving this show. It's so sleazy and entertaining. The corruption and sex and slander and character assassination. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Just typical life in the day/career of a Chicago (and Illinois) Democratic politician. :D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

spam firewall