Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Movers and Legacy receivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   staci

staci

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

A little Background;

We have been with DTV for over a decade and have amassed quite a few receivers that we "own".

We just bought a vacation home in another state and was considering putting DTV there, but was not looking forward to having a 100 dollar DTV monthly for a home that we might be at 3 times a year for a week or two each trip.

I contacted DTV and was told that I can bring 4 receivers back and forth to the vacation home and they will then turn off the other receivers at our primary house. I got the impression that don't care where you bring your receivers as long as your not using receivers at 2 different addresses at the same time.

This seemed perfect to me, they agreed to install a dish at our vacation home for no charge and no contract extension as were using our own receivers.

We could also just leave those 4 there permanently and they will just leave those off when were not there and reactivate them when we are.

My concern thou is I was going to bring down our 4 oldest receivers, R-10s, R-15 and a HR-20. However a friend more knowledgeable than me said DTV has stopped supporting these old receivers and now only installs Swim systems and these receivers aren't compatible.

Can anyone shed some light and offer any other avenues I should look at. This seemed so logical and perfect for us as we can't be at our main home and vacation home at the same time.

Ideas please

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

If you call DTV and they will come and install a new antenna for you, just tell them that you are going to be using legecy equipment and this should get you a antenna that has 4output cables then it will feed into a 4x8 switch that will allow you to run the correct cables to all recievers.

And yes, when you go from your home, call dtv and tell them you are going on vacation and to suspend service at home and activate at the vacation home. You can do this a couple times a year.

#3 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

FYI, HR20s are SWM compatible. The R10/15s are not.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#4 OFFLINE   o0nephsbirth0o

o0nephsbirth0o

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

If you call DTV and they will come and install a new antenna for you, just tell them that you are going to be using legecy equipment and this should get you a antenna that has 4output cables then it will feed into a 4x8 switch that will allow you to run the correct cables to all recievers.

And yes, when you go from your home, call dtv and tell them you are going on vacation and to suspend service at home and activate at the vacation home. You can do this a couple times a year.

there are PLENTY of customers in this area that do this quite often! And the old KA/KU HD system will work for exactly what you need. On a movers install DTV will install those old recievers for you...just be careful to find out if your vaca house isnt in an MPEG-4 market...THAT would put a kink in your plans...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...