Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fairytale Smackdown

programming contracts

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

ABC debuts Once Upon a Time tonight (Sunday 10/23) and this Friday NBC rolls out a similar series, GRIMM. You can even catch the first 20 minutes of Grimm on NBC's website.

This sorta reminds me of the launch of Pan Am and Playboy Club, two retro series that were likely inspired by the success of AMC's Mad Men. And unfortunately, I think the result will be similar with ABC having much better success than NBC.

So, what's your guess as to the likelihood of success for these two fairytale inspired shows?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Well, since tonight's "Once Upon a Time" debuts against both Game 4 of the World Series on Fox and the Indianapolis Colts at New Orleans Saints on NBC, as well as "The Amazing Race," I don't expect the premier to do all that well in live+same day ratings.

And since "Grimm" is on Friday, a night when there are traditionally far fewer total viewers, and at 9:00 against "Fringe" on Fox, "CSI:NY" on CBS, and the second hour of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" on ABC I don't.... Well, it is following the "Chuck" season premier so it might do nearly as well as "Once Upon a Time", though it is on NBC.

Creatively, both might be very good. But I am a bit ...grim :sure: ... about the fact that Disney-owned ABC is pushing a show featuring a live take on Disney characters.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

I wonder if they'll take it along the line of Rocky & Bullwinkle's "Fractured Fairy Tales" :P
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

It disturbs me to see the amazing amount of "re-launches" and reality series on TV these days. Once upon a Time? Really? I saw a preview for it and it looked like a parody to me. Will not be going on my DVR.

You'd think TV execs would eventually learn that we don't want to watch our favorite shows of the past, re-done by inferior actors and mangled scripts. Where have our original series gone? I swear if I see another primetime network show about who can cook, dance, sing, remodel, decorate, or tan the best I'm going to throw my satellite receiver out the window. If I see another re-launch of a series that was good, and is now anticipated to be absolute crap (anyone remember the "new" Knight Rider?) I'm going Los Angeles, taking off my shoe, and beating the holy heck out of the executive producer.

Them's my two pennies, don't spend it all in one place.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Well I'm enjoying Once Upon a Time.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

I thought Once was very good. Grimm seems to be a very different show, and I see no reason that only one of them should do well. Why not both?

The ratings for Once were quite good. We'll see what they are next week.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

The premier of "Grimm" (we haven't watched it yet) did very well pulling a surprising rating of 2.1/ 6 among adults 18-49, surprising for a Friday night and surprising because it was against the World Series game 7.

However because CBS decided not to waste new episodes, on the West Coast where the game was over it was not up against a new episode of "CSI: NY" nor, of course, "Fringe" on Fox. But it is direct competition for both.

As one review notes:

The show is like CSI with a case of the heebie-jeebies… SVU if Stabler could see spooks!

(Don't read the review if you don't like spoilers.)

If you missed it, it will be on Syfy Tuesday night.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#8 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

I read something about the character being some sort of profiler. That was all I needed to write it off completely.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

I read something about the character being some sort of profiler. That was all I needed to write it off completely.

Well, if you accept as profiler
Spoiler
then I guess you have it right.:D

(It's not really a spoiler in my view, but someone might think so.]

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

Also, ABC is repeating the "Once Upon a Time" pilot at 7:00 followed by the second episode a 8:00.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I went into "Grimm" expecting it to be more of a police procedural with a slight-supernatural twist, and expected to not like it. Well, I was right about the first part except that it's not "slight", and I was completely wrong about the second part ... I liked the show quite a bit. I was actually surprised that I liked it...

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

I went into "Grimm" expecting it to be more of a police procedural with a slight-supernatural twist, and expected to not like it. Well, I was right about the first part except that it's not "slight", and I was completely wrong about the second part ... I liked the show quite a bit. I was actually surprised that I liked it...

+1

We watched it tonight and thought it was original, clever, witty, darned scary in the startling way, and well produced.

My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:17 AM

I enjoyed the first episode of both and look forward to more. It does appear, to me anyway that Grimm will have more humor.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

I've watched both shows premiere's and I like Once Upon a Time very much more than Grimm. For some reason Grimm just didn't catch my attention, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it.

I'll keep both in timers for now, but unless the next couple of episodes of Grimm improve, I'll be cancelling it.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

I've watched both shows premiere's and I like Once Upon a Time very much more than Grimm. For some reason Grimm just didn't catch my attention, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it.

I'll keep both in timers for now, but unless the next couple of episodes of Grimm improve, I'll be cancelling it.

After just the premiers, I'm in agreement, but think Grimm has a better chance of developing its characters.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

Mrs. R and I have to watch the second episode of Once Upon a Time, but after the first we turned to each other and said "we'll give it a few episodes." Mainly because ... well, spoilers. But there are plot 'points' that make absolutely NO sense to me. Hopefully last night's ep will explain a bit that will make it more clear, but man...I have a low tolerance for bad writing.

Edited by RasputinAXP, 31 October 2011 - 06:01 AM.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#17 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

I decided to wait and catch two episodes of each before deciding anything. Both deserve points for pushing into a rarely used genre, but my feels about each are a bit mixed.

Once Upon a Time feels more like it should be a miniseries rather than a ongoing show, but then again, shows like Hercules and Xena lasted for ages. The little boy is cute and the wicked witch is great, but the whole thing is a little bit over the top. Plus, I didn't like Snow White at all - she was a miserable whiner from the start.

GRIMM I like this one a bit more. Love the attention to detail and the mix of germanic fairytales mixed with the pacific northwest setting. The writing of the actual crime drama part of the show is kind of weak, like a hundred other cop shows, but the Grimm twist makes it fun.

#18 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

I thought I was going to like Grimm and not like Once Upon A Time, but it's actually the opposite for me.

Grimm just seems like any other cop show, but with werewolves and such, and not well done. Once Upon A Time just seems to have a much broader concept IMO and better story.

#19 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

I agree. I'm enjoying the "fantasy" aspect of OAAT much more than Grimm.

I also agree with an earlier comment that OAAT seems like it could have been a mini-series. Right now I can't see how they develop this into a multi-year series based on the initial premise.

Obviously, there's one goal: for Emma to save everyone by restoring everyone's memories and returning them to their original "homes", thereby defeating the Evil Queen's plot to doom them to a life worse than hell (so to speak). When Emma achieves this is the first question.

The flashbacks to their story book land tend to remind me of "Legend of the Seeker", a show I miss, so I'm really enjoying this and hope it sticks around for a while.

#20 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

The flashbacks to their story book land tend to remind me of "Legend of the Seeker", a show I miss, so I'm really enjoying this and hope it sticks around for a while.

I was a big Seeker fan and was really disappointed when they cancelled it after two seasons. Another favorite from 4-5 years ago was Dresden Files.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...