Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver swap preparation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   noclothes

noclothes

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm a newbie.

I have a VIP 612, and am upgrading to a VIP922, to get the built-in Sling. (Can't even do a Sling accessory with my current receiver.)

To prepare for the receiver swap:

I know that I will lose all my recorded programs. Will I also lose my Timers?

Is it possible to back up the contents of the current receiver onto a hard drive, and then copy them back to the new receiver? If so, will it back up just the recorded shows, or also the Timers? Do I have to pay Dish the one-time fee to attach a hard drive, or is that only for "expanding" storage space, and not for backing up? If I attach a hard drive for purposes of backing up, will whatever's on it now be written over, or the drive reformatted, or can the material on the receiver just be added to what's already there, without disturbing the drive's present contents? Does it depend how the drive is currently formatted? (NTFS, FAT 32, etc.)

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

You do not have to lose all your recordings. Attach an external hard drive to your 612 and copy all the recordings to it.

You can simply attach it to the 922 and can play them directly off the EHD.

As for timers, I know the 722 and 722k can back up their timers to the remote for recovery on the replacement, but I'm not sure about the 612.

You may have to manually note all of them down and reprogram.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

The 612/922 no longer has a fee to activate the External Hard Drive services (it's already active on account with a VIP DVR).

You can transfer recordings from your 612 to an EHD, but the timers will not transfer. If you use an EHD, once the 922 is active on your account, hook up the EHD to it, and you will be able to view the recordings that you transferred to it.

When you hook up an EHD, it will require to be formatted, so you will lose anything that is on the EHD.

Here is some more info on the EHD requirements

http://www.dishnetwo...ction/setup-ehd

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#4 OFFLINE   noclothes

noclothes

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thanks to both of you, this is tremendously helpful.

I've reviewed the VIP612 manual, and it doesn't mention anything about backing up Timers to the remote. Should I assume that there's just no way to back up the Timers?

#5 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

I'll confirm that there is no way to back up the timers to the remote with the 612

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

if dish will open structure of timer's file on both models, any coder would write a convertor - SW for that
but, no - it's a big 'secret' ... :(

#7 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

I’m going to have my 722k swapped & would like to know which settings I should write down from the old DVR so that I can properly set up the replacement unit.

About a year ago I had the new DVR swapped & the dealer went through several menus in order to set up the replacement at that time. I recall there was an Audio setting that came up which I never saw before & the dealer was not sure what to do, and I don’t know what he did. But I never that screen again.

Anyway I would like to make my swap as painless as possible & would appreciate any suggestions on what I should do.

I’ve read here that you can back up the timers to the remote, but cannot find any instructions in the User’s Guide or on the forum. Can someone please point me in the right direction for directions?

Thanks in advance.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Look/search for DIRT ppl posts here - I remember the process has been described in details a few times here (include our regular members).

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

In you don't want to lose your DVR recorded events, I suggest buying an external hard drive to transfer the recordings from the receiver to the EHD. It can be connected using a USB port on the receiver. It needs it own power supply, limited to 2 TBs, and single tier casing.

The setup on a replacement receiver is easier. You will be guided through all the sets on your TV screen in the order you need to perform the steps. Be sure to remove the cables from the rear of the old receiver to the new receiver 1 at a time, placing them in the exact spot on the new from the old. Once you power on the receiver, you'll be prompted to address the remotes (make sure to remove the TV 2 antenna from the old receiver - place on the new receiver) and then you'll be taken to the Point Dish Screen, run a Check Switch test, and download the new software and EPG. Once completed, you will have your programming back. The process takes about 20 minutes. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I’m going to have my 722k swapped & would like to know which settings I should write down from the old DVR so that I can properly set up the replacement unit.

About a year ago I had the new DVR swapped & the dealer went through several menus in order to set up the replacement at that time. I recall there was an Audio setting that came up which I never saw before & the dealer was not sure what to do, and I don’t know what he did. But I never that screen again.

Anyway I would like to make my swap as painless as possible & would appreciate any suggestions on what I should do.

I’ve read here that you can back up the timers to the remote, but cannot find any instructions in the User’s Guide or on the forum. Can someone please point me in the right direction for directions?

Thanks in advance.

#10 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

The 612 is not capable of backing up timers to the remote - only the 722k can do this (not even the regular 722).

#11 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

Are most replacement 722k DVRs new or refurbed?

spam firewall