Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Origin of the term "Dishwire"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rodb

rodb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 04:22 AM

Where did the word "dishwire" come from?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 07:33 AM

It's Dish Network's term for their Firewire ports. I'm sure it came from the mind of one their marketing geniuses... :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 08:38 AM

It's Dish Network's term for their Firewire ports. I'm sure it came from the mind of one their marketing geniuses... :)

Which, of course, is just Apple's term for their IEEE-1394 ports... heh.

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   greylar

greylar

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:00 AM

As I understand it the dishwire ports don't do anything right now. What are they supposed to do in the future?

G

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:49 AM

The dishwire ports will allow you to connect a D-VHS recorder to the 921 for archiving of recorded HD material.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   Kagato

Kagato

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:18 PM

Which, of course, is just Apple's term for their IEEE-1394 ports... heh.

- John...

Apple owns several choice patents on Firewire as they are the primary developer of the technology. They already collect a small royalty on every IEEE-1394 device, I'm sure using the term Firewire adds even more cost.

It's too bad DVI won out for Display technology. Firewire 800 (aka IEEE-1394b), will do 800 Mb/sec with no cable length limitation. I'm not looking forward to buying a 30 foot DVI cable that may or may not work when I replace my projector with a HDCP compatible model.

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:38 PM

Indeed. My point was simply that DishWire/FireWire/IEEE-1394 are no different -- just names for the same thing. So, saying that DishWire is really just Dish's version of FireWire is a little off -- it seems better to say that DishWire and FireWire are both just marketing names for IEEE-1394...

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:23 PM

I think that to legally call the Dishwire port "Firewire" or "IEEE-1394", Dish would have to meet certain specifications. Those specs would have exceeded what was needed to hook up to a D-VHS tape deck. So to save development time/money, they just call it Dishwire which has no requirements at all. Just enough to get the job done.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 05:06 PM

They're calling it DishWire instead of FireWire to keep people from thinking they'll be able to connect any IEEE-1394 device they have lying around.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:18 PM

While on the topic of akas for 1394, don't forget Sony with ILink they used to promote quite a bit.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   bsobel

bsobel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 06:54 PM

Firewire as they are the primary developer of the

Actually the name change came about (in general) when people did some market research and found that consumers didn't like the idea of 'firewire' in their homes. They literally assumed the cables would be hot (I'm, unfortunately, not making this up)

Bill

#12 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 01:46 PM

I see Dish is now also calling it IEE-1394 and "FireWire" in some of their marketing stuff -- so looks like it wasn't just a licensing issue with the name (which I thought was a good guess actually). So, most likely just fun marketing. heh.

- John...

#13 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:40 PM

I once heard that Apple charged a whopping (sarcastic) $1/device to call a IEEE 1394 device "Firewire". I didn't think there was any per device charge for calling it IEEE 1394. Apple may of dropped or siginificantly dropped that charge, though. Otherwise It would be knida silly for Dish to incur the fee, even though they are only using Firewire in some marketing.

#14 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:43 PM

Don't forget that you have also happen to have a TV with Firewire you can use the Firewire port on the 921, when it is turned on, to connect to your TV. It is supposed to be the best picture available as it is an all digital connection.

#15 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:55 PM

Don't forget that you have also happen to have a TV with Firewire you can use the Firewire port on the 921, when it is turned on, to connect to your TV. It is supposed to be the best picture available as it is an all digital connection.

Where did you hear this? It has been reported (on one of the Tech chats) that the Dishwire port, even when finally activated, will not support hook-up to any type of display device. It will only support hook-up to certain supported d-VHS decks. That's one of the reasons that Dish said they are not calling it Firewire. They didn't want people to think that they could just connect any Firewire device.
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

#16 OFFLINE   rodb

rodb

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 05:10 PM

Apple no longer requires a fee for licensing the use of the word firewire. The difference between DishWire and FireWire might be in firmware only. I searched for DishWire trademark information but couldn't find it.

The TI package is compatible with both FireWire and DishWire. Search ti.com for DishWire. Anyone know what chipset is used in the 921 for 1394? Is DishWire a proprietary implementation of FireWire to restrict or enhance FireWire?

Why not just use FireWire 800 to be fast and compatible...

#17 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 10:58 PM

When I was talking with my installer back in September I was asking him about DishWire. He said that it wasn't implemented on the 721s but when/if it was it should work just fine on my TV.

#18 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 10:09 AM

:lol: And that is what you based your evidence on that there will be FireWire display possible? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but that pretty much means absolutely nothing. Asking an installer about future technical capabilites of a unit is like asking your mechanic about how's Chevy's 2008 electric hybrids will work. He'll answer -- but he doesn't really have any idea. And it certainly doesn't indicate what actually will happen. :)

- John...

#19 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:07 PM

Well seeing as how he works for Dish and is trained by Dish I figured he would have a better idea than most of us.

Anyway I don't see the difference in hooking up your 921 to a DVCR and the DVCR to your TV via Firewire. I mean that is what the future is supposed to be. Instead of everything hooking up to your TV you daisy chain everything together and then only one thing get connected to your TV.

#20 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:35 AM

Well seeing as how he works for Dish and is trained by Dish I figured he would have a better idea than most of us.

You might think that, but you'd be incorrect is all that I am saying. I have yet to see an "average" Dish installer that knew anything significantly accurate from Dish regarding upcoming features and/or compatibility of future receivers with any other hardware.

I'm just saying that some installer tech (who, by the way, very likely does NOT "work for Dish" as you suggest -- he works for some contractor that does installs for Dish -- and, heck, he might not even be "trained by Dish") -- telling you about significant technical features of an upcoming box is just about as unreliable as you can get.

Especially when you compare it to people here. I guarantee that there are a handful (or more) of people sharing information in these forums that knows more than all but a handful of Dish techs...

Anyway I don't see the difference in hooking up your 921 to a DVCR and the DVCR to your TV via Firewire. I mean that is what the future is supposed to be. Instead of everything hooking up to your TV you daisy chain everything together and then only one thing get connected to your TV.

It may very well happen. I'm just saying that stating it as fact -- and then later revealing that you heard it from some installer at your house -- pretty much means nothing to most of the people here. We've all heard so many things from installers and CSRs that were completely wrong that we put almost no credence with anything they might say in idle chat...

- John...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...