Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Temporary solution?

directv iphone app bug

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pugluvr

pugluvr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

We are renting a cabin this weekend from a family who has recently moved out. They have a Directv dish, but they took the receiver. If we take our old non-HD receiver and tv, will we get our service out there for the weekend?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

You should.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

You'll get something, but if the dish isn't aimed right you might not get everything. Also if you're outside of your local market you probably won't get any local channels.

As a note, if anyone at your home is using DIRECTV service this weekend, I think that violates your customer agreement.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   pugluvr

pugluvr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

Okay. Thanks for the responses. No one will be watching tv here at home, so hopefully that means we're okay on the agreement.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,914 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Another possible issue is that the dish and the receiver most both be the same technology, SWM or non-SWM. If the dish is SWM, then it will only work with an SWM capable receiver. If the dish is non-SWM, then it will work with almost anything except the H25. However, getting your receiver to switch between modes (if it needs to) can be a hassle.

So hook it up and try it, but there are various issues that might interfere with it working.

#6 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

... As a note, if anyone at your home is using DIRECTV service this weekend, I think that violates your customer agreement.

Out of curiosity, if one were not at home to watch any DirecTV programming, but a DVR, for example, is recording a particular program at the main home, would that be considered "Using DirecTV Service". If so, if the subscriber were in a secondary location watching DirecTV while such a recording is happening, would that violate the customer agreement?
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#7 OFFLINE   pugluvr

pugluvr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

Out of curiosity, if one were not at home to watch any DirecTV programming, but a DVR, for example, is recording a particular program at the main home, would that be considered "Using DirecTV Service". If so, if the subscriber were in a secondary location watching DirecTV while such a recording is happening, would that violate the customer agreement?

Oooohhhh, good question. I'm certain I have things set on the DVR left at home to record. I don't want to get in any trouble. We just want to watch some college football on Saturday, so we're trying to find a way to do that.

#8 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no real way for them to detect it anyway. (I'm not advocating breaking the customer agreement, but if no one is there watching it, that's fine...)

#9 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

You'll get something, but if the dish isn't aimed right you might not get everything. Also if you're outside of your local market you probably won't get any local channels.

As a note, if anyone at your home is using DIRECTV service this weekend, I think that violates your customer agreement.

Stuart, technically it might. But if you have ever been to a college football game (at least in the South), you will see tons of dishes and receivers set up under tents for viewing while "tailgating." I have asked Directv about this directly, and they certainly did not consider this a violation when I asked. And yes, with 4 HDDVR's, I am almost always recording something. Again, not trying to argue, but I don't think this kind of "short term" use is what they are concerned with. I reserve the right to be wrong.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#10 OFFLINE   trucker2536

trucker2536

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

ive been told by an installer that i could watch D* on a big rig while the fam watches the dvr at home and it does not violate any rules just no locals outside the spot beam

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:05 AM

I thought that was what the mirror fee for the additional box was for, so you could watch something else while the family watched on the main box. Surely they dont want you to set up a completely separate account for "tailgating". Dont they even have, or had, a mobile receiver specifically for that?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#12 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

It might be "technically" breaking the agreement, but he is not stealing anything. DirecTV is getting their money either way, and it is not like he is stacking or anything. Seems like a non issue.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

ive been told by an installer that i could watch D* on a big rig while the fam watches the dvr at home and it does not violate any rules just no locals outside the spot beam

Never trust an installer to offer DIRECTV account policy information. It isn't something that they need to know and they get a lot of word-of-mouth and speculative information from customers and other installers. Think of it as asking your mechanic what the mileage policies are for a leased car.

The same goes for many CSRs as you'll often get different answers depending on who you talk to.

If you look at the documentation, I think you'll find that mobile accounts can't have multiple receivers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Stuart, technically it might. But if you have ever been to a college football game (at least in the South), you will see tons of dishes and receivers set up under tents for viewing while "tailgating." I have asked Directv about this directly, and they certainly did not consider this a violation when I asked. And yes, with 4 HDDVR's, I am almost always recording something. Again, not trying to argue, but I don't think this kind of "short term" use is what they are concerned with. I reserve the right to be wrong.

There is a loophole for tailgating, as you are not setting up service at a freestanding, permanent location. That's why you can have service in your RV or on your truck bumper, that's what I was told. Using DIRECTV at two permanent locations is the issue.

Will they know? probably not. Is it really the worst thing in the world? No. But is it technically against the customer agreement you signed? Probably.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

I doubt that they will send the Audit Nazis out in a van to apprehend him. I wouldnt worry about it.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

There is a loophole for tailgating, as you are not setting up service at a freestanding, permanent location.

There is no such loophole.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,947 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

We are renting a cabin this weekend from a family who has recently moved out. They have a Directv dish, but they took the receiver. If we take our old non-HD receiver and tv, will we get our service out there for the weekend?

The old non-HD receiver has an active card?

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

There is no such loophole.

You read your agreement with directv, did you?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 ONLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Years ago they use to advertise. Take it with you were ever you go. Lol

#20 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

I asked a CSR ten years ago about adding a DVR at my vacation cabin. She was fine with it as long as both residences weren't occupied at the same time.

My brother asked a CSR last year about a similar arrangement. The CSR told him that Directv wanted him to call and tell them each time he went from one place to the other. That seems a little odd.

So certainly such arrangements match the spirit of the law if not precisely the letter of the law.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...