Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No guide after Friday 10/28/11

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

When was the L721 software downloaded? Been having intermittant problems where my guide will only show what's currently playing and what's coming on after, but shows "no info available" after that on all channels. Really screws up the timers for recording some shows or seeing what's coming on later in the day. Have had it happen 5 or 6 times over the last few weeks. Usually, if we don't force a dowload, it's fine the next day, but will happen again a few days to a couple weeks after. Like the previous poster stated, I'd have to believe this is a software/firmware problem since it doesn't seem to be only my receiver that's having this problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

L721 started being released to the 722 on 9/29, all should have it now.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#23 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

Just unplugged the receiver to try to force a program guide update but it didn't seem to work. It aquired the satellite signal but then went back to the TV show we were watching. Went to the guide and it still said "no info available" after the show after the one that's currently on. Tried scrolling over and it said that the guide data was out of date and asked if I wanted to retrieve the latest data. Said yes. The "download" took all of 3 seconds and the new guide wasn't downloaded..... weird.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Just unplugged the receiver to try to force a program guide update but it didn't seem to work. It aquired the satellite signal but then went back to the TV show we were watching. Went to the guide and it still said "no info available" after the show after the one that's currently on. Tried scrolling over and it said that the guide data was out of date and asked if I wanted to retrieve the latest data. Said yes. The "download" took all of 3 seconds and the new guide wasn't downloaded..... weird.

Yeah, that's part of the behavior pattern I was referring to when I said

At times it gets goofier in that when I force a guide download I get the guide but can't get the timer function to "find it" without a hard reboot, a problem I posted about in another thread.

Everyone should respond to Dish Internet Response Team member MaryB@DishNetwork. If I'm right about it being a code problem, I don't envy the engineer assigned to find the source. We need to get that poor soul started.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, that's part of the behavior pattern I was referring to when I said Everyone should respond to Dish Internet Response Team member MaryB@DishNetwork. If I'm right about it being a code problem, I don't envy the engineer assigned to find the source. We need to get that poor soul started.

I was going to PM her. I'm just a little new at this and was wondering when she says to PM her our account info, what info does she need (name, phone #, account #, etc.)?

Just found out that it did download the whole guide but to only some of the channels. Weird.

#26 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

-- Traversing the time-space continuum in liquid form.

What is the alcohol content of your liquid? I just might have to join you . . .

#27 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yeah, that's part of the behavior pattern I was referring to when I said Everyone should respond to Dish Internet Response Team member MaryB@DishNetwork. If I'm right about it being a code problem, I don't envy the engineer assigned to find the source. We need to get that poor soul started.

Shucks, I guess I have been lucky since I haven't had any short guide problems.
However I was paging through my new 2012 calender and discovered that December isn't complete. It ends on the 21st instead of the 31st. Hmm, maybe it was published by the "Ancient Indian" publishing company.:D

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#28 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Hmm, maybe it was published by the "Ancient Indian" publishing company.:D

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

I have been asked to help Dish with getting in contact with some of you regarding this problem if you are still experiencing it.

Can anyone who is still experiencing the problem with guide info as discussed in this thread please send me a PM. I will then follow up on how to get you guys in touch with the appropriate person who may want to collect additional data (like receiver logs) to help diagnose what is going on.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#30 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 557 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Is that the missing guide or the sad state the guide is in general?

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Is that the missing guide or the sad state the guide is in general?

Not sure I understand you here... This thread is about a particular episode guide data issue. If there are other shortcomings in the guide, that would be a topic for a different thread and not a receiver bug.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#32 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

Normally, unplugging the receiver for 10 seconds and rebooting will take care of the issue or running a check switch. If either doesn't work, it probably a hard drive issue. Thanks.

Ray C;

If others are having this problem, is it still in your mind that the hard drive may be signaling an impending failure? I ask because my 722k is doing the same thing. I've had this 722k for a month. I've experienced the problem two or three times in the last week as well as unrequested re-boots.

Last night I forced a download of the EPG (cold boot, followed by a Check Switch at around 10PM (M)). As usual(and after a long, long wait) I was able to see beyond the 22nd of December. When I checked it again this morning (8AM) I found no programming info beyond the 23rd (today). Somehow, the EPG shed everything beyond the 23rd. I don't really know when this happened. I can only assume it happened when the 722k performed its usual update at 4AM.

My wife is currently recording an event, but as soon as this is finished, I will force another EPG download.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Supposedly Echostar engineering is working on the software related program guide issue that seemed to have come along with the changes made for the Blockbuster menu items on the 622/722/722(k) issues.

It is possible that the loss of guide or a failure to fully load a guide is drive related, but if that's the case, it is a different problem than the widespread guide problem reported in this Forum.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Supposedly Echostar engineering is working on the software related program guide issue that seemed to have come along with the changes made for the Blockbuster menu items on the 622/722/722(k) issues.

It is possible that the loss of guide or a failure to fully load a guide is drive related, but if that's the case, it is a different problem than the widespread guide problem reported in this Forum.

Thanks, phrelin. I agree with your Blockbuster time frame although I'm still running on L6.90. As usual, we won't be holding our collective breaths waiting for a promised software solution. :sure:

I also agree with your premise regarding impending hard drive failure. To me, when the behavior of a device is predictable, I too, lean towards a software bug.

I just forced a guide download and restored the rest of the nine days that were missing. I suspect (and will confirm) that those days will be gone by morning except perhaps 12/24.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#35 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Merry Christmas.

I am also having the same problem with the Guide going away. the one thing I am going to try is disconnect the INTERNET from the 722. I also think it is something to do with Blockbuster firmwares.

Happy New Year

#36 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Merry Christmas.

I am also having the same problem with the Guide going away. the one thing I am going to try is disconnect the INTERNET from the 722. I also think it is something to do with Blockbuster firmwares.

Happy New Year

Same to you, Tim!

I don't have my 722k connected to the internet ... never have. But others may find your proposed diconnect results useful.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#37 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

Noticed an interesting thing with the guide on my 722 today. I forced a download of the guide yesterday, today on the guide only some of the channels showed "no information" and then that was intermittent. I could scroll forward in the guide and the same channel would show "no information" for some time slots and would have information for others, there did not seem to be a pattern to it.

#38 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

Noticed an interesting thing with the guide on my 722 today. I forced a download of the guide yesterday, today on the guide only some of the channels showed "no information" and then that was intermittent. I could scroll forward in the guide and the same channel would show "no information" for some time slots and would have information for others, there did not seem to be a pattern to it.

I've seen that too, olds. My guess is that the content of the EPG changes every time the 722 tries to update, be it automatic or forced.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

Just for the record, I had to force a guide update on my 722 today as it was downtown two days.

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

I was just looking at the guide and it did not go through Friday night, 1-6-2012. And of course looking at future recordings displayed nothing for Friday night. Yet 5 days ago the data was there. The system asked if I wanted to update & I did do & now my scheduled timers re-appeared along with a filled in grid.

This also happened about about a week or two ago. I could understand if something missed an update cycle, but what would cause existing guide information to get deleted?

I also just unplugged/plugged the DVR, so I'll see if that eliminates this problem in the future. But it seems this is a recurring problem with other people.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...