Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No guide after Friday 10/28/11

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

The problem is getting weird.

Today I have no guide info for after 6pm when yesterday it was all there because I had setup two auto-tunes for tonight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Sounds like your nightly download of guide data is failing.

Force a guide download by running check-switch or doing a power cord reboot.

Receiver may need replacing if this behavior continues.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#43 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Who are you replying to?

#44 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

I thought this thread was discussing a known issue with guide data not being updated(or disappearing), seems kind of odd that all the people discussing this problem would have the same problem show up at the same time. I am kind of leaning towards this being a software issue. As has been stated, when a forced download is done all guide data is there. The next day or two, data starts disappearing from the guide. The weird thing is that data is disappearing from random places in the middle of the guide in my case(not from the end of the guide as you would expect if it was just not being updated).

#45 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

I checked our 722k receiver here and it shows Guide information for 8 days, which is what it should show. It is also not a known issue with the receiver. It may be a hard drive issue with the receiver if you continue to have this problem. Please let me know. Thanks.

I thought this thread was discussing a known issue with guide data not being updated(or disappearing), seems kind of odd that all the people discussing this problem would have the same problem show up at the same time. I am kind of leaning towards this being a software issue. As has been stated, when a forced download is done all guide data is there. The next day or two, data starts disappearing from the guide. The weird thing is that data is disappearing from random places in the middle of the guide in my case(not from the end of the guide as you would expect if it was just not being updated).

#46 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

My 722k is working fine also Ray (except for the issue of the broadband going to sleep when trying to stream-I hope they're working on that, I'm just about ready to give netflix another try). I'm on system L7.50 just in case that make a difference to the guide problem

I checked our 722k receiver here and it shows Guide information for 8 days, which is what it should show. It is also not a known issue with the receiver. It may be a hard drive issue with the receiver if you continue to have this problem. Please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by CeeWoo, 06 January 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

I have a 722(not 722k) receiver and have been having the disappearing guide information. Others have said they noticed the problem around the time that the moviepass upgrade showed up. That is consistent with my experience also, seem odd to me that we would all have hardware problems show up at the same time. I have been having no other issues with my 722. Yesterday my 722 was down to 1 day in the guide so forced a download, I am up in the morning and see my 722 reboot every day so I know it is rebooting when it is supposed to.

Edited by olds403, 06 January 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

The problem is a firmware problem with the 722 and MaryB@DishNetwork did accept my report as of this post and PM info. It's intermittent and therefore cannot be simply reproduced and IMHO it did come with the BB menu changes.

It happened to my 612 twice right after the BB menu changes, but hasn't happened since.

I don't have a 722k.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#49 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Well most of my channels say No info after 6:30 PM MT and I will be willing to bet that some of my timers will get all jacked up to. It seems evertime this happens I have afew timers that record old shows even though they are set to record new, all becuase the guide data is messed up and shows generic info for shows so the DVR software thinks it is a new show...or it has info but shows a original date of current date, but the program is actually from last year. I have a 722k and a 625. The 625 does not have No info at 6:30, just the 722k.
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
Soon to be Hopper/Joey System
PS3
Wii

#50 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well most of my channels say No info after 6:30 PM MT and I will be willing to bet that some of my timers will get all jacked up to. It seems evertime this happens I have afew timers that record old shows even though they are set to record new, all becuase the guide data is messed up and shows generic info for shows so the DVR software thinks it is a new show...or it has info but shows a original date of current date, but the program is actually from last year. I have a 722k and a 625. The 625 does not have No info at 6:30, just the 722k.

I went ahead and did a check switch and the guide is fixed...timers are all fubared at the moment. Not sure if related or coinsidense but about an hour before i noticed the no info problem i had selected Blockbuster Movie Pass and did a search for a movie.
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
PS3
Wii

#51 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Just happened again. Came home from work turn TV on go to guide and most channels show No Info after 2:30 PM MT.

Just got done chatting with support and they are sending me a replacement unit.

Edited by eichenberg, 13 January 2012 - 03:48 PM.
more info

Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
PS3
Wii

#52 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Happened to me on my 722 again.

On Friday 1/21/2012 I set my schedule for the following week with over a week's worth of guide available. On Saturday morning 1/22/2012, the guide only went through Sunday midday.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#53 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Friday Night lost guide also. Called today and also getting replacement unit sent. If it happens again then what do we do? I still say it is the L722 software.

#54 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Friday Night lost guide also. Called today and also getting replacement unit sent. If it happens again then what do we do? I still say it is the L722 software.

It's either in the software or some mysterious illness has attached a whole bunch of boxes.:sure:

My AV Setup

#55 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

Just got done chatting with support and they are sending me a replacement unit.

Called today and also getting replacement unit sent.

I still say it is the L722 software.

Why be so impatient and run up support costs? So the guide flakes out sometimes, big deal, it's not a life and death situation.

Happens on my 508 every few days, so how would it be 'the L722 software'? Guide shows the current program and the next program, then "Info not available" or whatever.

Timers still record because the info populates far enough in advance of the scheduled timer. If it doesn't, it ain't no thang.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#56 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Why be so impatient and run up support costs? So the guide flakes out sometimes, big deal, it's not a life and death situation.

Happens on my 508 every few days, so how would it be 'the L722 software'? Guide shows the current program and the next program, then "Info not available" or whatever.

Timers still record because the info populates far enough in advance of the scheduled timer. If it doesn't, it ain't no thang.

Do me a favor and add iCarly for new runs to your DVR...come back in two days and check out your daily list. If what is happening to me happens to you you will have about 30 iCarly's listed to be recorded for a 7 day stretch. Will they all record. I don't know as I delete them all except for the 1 new show. The first time it happend I found out becuase after a week my daughter wanted to watch the new iCarly show, so I pull up My Recordings for her to watch and I did in deed have about 30 shows recorded. So now I am gun shy and delete in advance which is time consuming. This even happened on the "new" receiver I just received, so obviously it is a software issue and I have not had a chance to call Dish again.
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
PS3
Wii

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Happened on my 722 again.

Why be so impatient and run up support costs?

Calling and reporting it emphasizes that it's happening to a lot of boxes. Tech Support should be saying it's a known issue and they're working on it, not sending out refurbs. Unless, of course, the only known cure is wipe the firmware, scrub the hard drive and reinstall the entire OS.

So the guide flakes out sometimes, big deal, it's not a life and death situation.

In my situation since I'm retired, checking my 722 in the morning is no big deal. But...

In some households a missed recording might result in a bit of a spat with others in the family if you're the one in charge of keeping the TV system working, particularly since you decided to save money by dropping cable and going Dish. And...

After repopulating the guide on the 722, the timers don't always "repopulate" properly. I have several times had to go to the last timer in the list, "click" on it, and watch the "numbers" of the timers reappear before the list of scheduled recordings appears for that timer.

And about the software, it didn't happen before the code was added to provide for the Blockbuster system.

Regarding the 508 and the problem, there's a long post from last June which I'll quote in part here:

It's been said that it's a sign of a failing hard drive. However, I don't believe that to be 100 percent correct. My 508 has been doing that for years and if it was a failing hard drive it would have failed by now. In my experience, here are the three most common scenarios....

...It's a bug in the software and I listed it as one of the 30 annoying bugs with this receiver. It's been like that, well, for years. :mad:

If it is a bug in the 508 software that's been around "for years" it should have been fixed. But Dish wants the 508's phased out for two reasons so I'm pretty sure they aren't devoting a lot of engineering time on it.

:rant:
IMHO my 722 isn't working right because the upper management bought a bankrupt Blockbuster and told engineering to hustle out this marketing tool so they could remove Blockbuster's life support. It had nothing to do with Dish Network, the satellite TV service, as we knew it.

What worries me is Charlie isn't running the company and the new guy doesn't really know what the various input thingys in the back of my 722 do, nor does he care. And he most certainly would see no reason to devote the same engineering resources (read "costs") to fixing crap code he ordered done in a hurry.

Of course, I have no reason to believe this, except that entirely new code normally was slowly rolled out over many, many weeks to see if something is wrong. If something even may be wrong, the rollout was halted and they'd spend many $$$$ of engineering time to fix it. The rollout of this code was a marketing decision based on propping up a risky management decision.

And if they leave the 722 stuck with this problem like they have the 508 while they roll out the "new and cool" Hopper for alpha testers customers, I'm going to have to reevaluate my years, and years, and years, of customer loyalty to Echostar equipment.
:rant:

Yeah, I'm getting irked and it is becoming a big deal. I was acquainted in the past with how Echostar Engineering allocated resources paid for by Dish. The fact that this wasn't fixed right away and they are placating customers by sending out refurbs doesn't "feel right" to me.:mad:

My AV Setup

#58 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

I received my refurb 722 hooked it up and listened to the fan for an hour. Called up she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. 2nd tier said it was DOA.( Wednesday). Had to say cancel me. To get a tech out with another 722. Thursday tech came. Guess what same defect, DOA listen to fan. The tech went to get a 722k. Said they are new. 722 no more new ones just refurb. So far it is working. I agree about Blockbuster. Dish is losing tract of what they are, A TV service.

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well, if someone would send me a new working 722k, probably I'd be a happy camper.

My AV Setup

#60 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

The guide has been a problem for many many years since featured services based on it came about, long before Blockbuster was ever in the picture. The biggest problem is the content provider, Zap2It/Tribune. They're dumb as a box of rocks. But DISH still uses them and their method of integration. That's why I keep saying that Charlie should have bought TiVo, last Spring, which would have stopped the law suits and given the DISH gear their incredible software with no threat. I can't remember a single conflict that was not logically resolved with practically no effort on the viewers end with a TiVo device. The suggestions were annoying though. But that's how far their software was. It could think for itself! And the UI was/is very mature in look compared to DISH's. Things just worked. I have always though of TiVo for their GUI and DISH for their picture. But now . . . .

We are constantly having many and strange programming issues with both our 625 and 722 all the time. More so lately.

I didn't know how really bad DISH's GUI was until I had a TiVo. And was told the main reason it is, is because of the infringement potential. That was in the early days when TiVo had power. Last Spring they lost it, prime time for a buy out, but got it back last Fall.

As long as I can remember, mid 90's, DISH has always thrown refurbs at problems instead of addressing the issue directly. I can only imagine their shipping bill and see why they are charging to return gear now.

Sorry, Charlie.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...