Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No guide after Friday 10/28/11

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Please let me know if it continues to occur. Could be a HD issue is developing. Thanks.

I was looking at my 722k's EPG last nite (4/25) and noticed that my programming didn't extend beyond 4/27. I did a "check switch" so it could force an EPG update. A few minutes (well, actually 9 minutes) later, all was as it should be.

Way to go, guys. :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Please let me know if it continues to occur. Could be a HD issue is developing. Thanks.

It's been happening on and off for as long as I have had this 722k (four/five months?). I don't make a big fuss about it because the solution is rather simple.

Others here have seen it on their receivers too, but I can't tell you off the top of my head if they're seeing it on a 722 or 622. Whatever is causing the truncated EPG, it's been happening for quite a while.

I'll make sure I PM you the next time.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#103 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

It's been happening on and off for as long as I have had this 722k (four/five months?). I don't make a big fuss about it because the solution is rather simple.

Others here have seen it on their receivers too, but I can't tell you off the top of my head if they're seeing it on a 722 or 622. Whatever is causing the truncated EPG, it's been happening for quite a while.

The solution is simple. Problem is that you don't know when the guide has a problem, and have to be home to fix it. If you have something scheduled during the "outage" then that program does not appear in the list to be recorded either. Which means it probably will not get recorded.

#104 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

The solution is simple. Problem is that you don't know when the guide has a problem, and have to be home to fix it. If you have something scheduled during the "outage" then that program does not appear in the list to be recorded either. Which means it probably will not get recorded.

You're absolutely right ... that can happen. I check all my timers (and the EPG) every morning and night.

I'm guessing that truncated EPGs occur during the overnight (4 AM for mine) updates. When it happens, I usually detect it early on and apply the solution.

But, yeah, you're right and having to check the EPG numerous times a day is a pain that gets old real quick.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#105 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Please let me know. Thanks.

#106 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

This has been happening to my 722 on and off for weeks, Now it has happened two days in a row. Guide is OK in the A.M. but by P.M. it is only good for two days. This is an ongoing problem and unfortunately Dish has done nothing to correct it.

#107 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

When it happened 10 days ago it was about 2pm. I hardly ever watch TV in the afternoon & only had it on to show a friend something. If I never had the TV on I would never have known there was problem, especially if it properly updates itself the next time. In the meantime of course a program might not get recorded.

With so many people having this problem I doubt all their hard drives are acting up.

#108 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Same problem This AM, a full guide, this PM is two days. Obviously no help from Dish. Oh well.

#109 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

I had a full guide last nite and this morning. When it happens to my machine (722k) it seems to be a random thing.

To be very honest, I haven't tried to figure it out. But as time goes by and Dish doesn't correct it, I will have to.

For example,

- I haven't tried to "predict" a truncated EPG by not rebooting my machine (with a truncated EPG) before going to bed to see what happens the next morning.

- Similarly, I haven't started writing what dates and times are involved to see if they are predictable events.

- Nor have I looked at the EPG on my 622 (as though going down the stairs to it is just too much excersize for me. :P).

Since the EPGs downloaded from the satellite(s) are pretty much identical, it is possible the our issue is a manifestation of signal strength or some other receiver-relate variable. But maybe it's too soon to try to rationalize it. I'm hoping that DIRT will give us some tricks to try.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#110 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Within the last week I've noticed on 2 of my 722's that the Guide only shows perhaps 2 days. Additionally, I've noticed when that happened on both units, when I want to do a search, the search screen displays only one column. I don't get the second column which lets you further drill down...Such as, say if I want to search Sports, then Basketball...The only option I have to select is Sports and that's it, until I manually upgrade the online program guide, then it's back to normal. Strange how that both 722's had the same issue.
My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

#111 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

What happens to the guide if you run a check switch test? This should update the guide information. Please let me know if you have already tried this. You can also unplug the receiver for 10 seconds from the electrical outlet to have the receiver reboot. Thanks.

Within the last week I've noticed on 2 of my 722's that the Guide only shows perhaps 2 days. Additionally, I've noticed when that happened on both units, when I want to do a search, the search screen displays only one column. I don't get the second column which lets you further drill down...Such as, say if I want to search Sports, then Basketball...The only option I have to select is Sports and that's it, until I manually upgrade the online program guide, then it's back to normal. Strange how that both 722's had the same issue.

#112 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Happened again on my 722, has been several weeks since it happened last that I noticed. Down to 1.5 days of guide tonight, forced a download. Will see how long it goes next time.

#113 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,449 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Happened to me recently on my 922 as well.

I'm inclined to believe either:

1. There is a problem with the EPG becoming corrupt which is affecting all of these different receivers.

OR

2. There is a tiny bit of common code somewhere in all of these that is the culprit.

I'm actually more inclined to believe they have a general EPG issue, though, since we know they have other issues with data in the EPG at times.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#114 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hasn't happened on my 722 since 4/27.

#115 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

How old is your receiver? The Guide information is saved to the HD so it could be a problem with the receiver. Have you had any DVR function issues - pause, ff, rewind? Please let me know. Thanks.

Happened again on my 722, has been several weeks since it happened last that I noticed. Down to 1.5 days of guide tonight, forced a download. Will see how long it goes next time.

#116 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,449 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

A question I have... for those of you experiencing the problem, how full are your DVRs?

I tend to run 80-95% most of the time because I keep recording things that I don't have time to watch... so I've wondered if that doesn't start to cause issues once you have a mostly full (user and reserved portions) hard drive.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#117 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

A question I have... for those of you experiencing the problem, how full are your DVRs?

I tend to run 80-95% most of the time because I keep recording things that I don't have time to watch... so I've wondered if that doesn't start to cause issues once you have a mostly full (user and reserved portions) hard drive.

My DVR mostly says I have between 50-45 hrs of unused HD recording time ... sorry to be so vague, but I honestly don't know how much HD my 722k can hold. As many others, I sometimes experience a truncated EPG. It's not something that happens at a predictable rate (the last time it happened was weeks ago). The thing that usually tips me off is a lack of Timer-ed programs on my Schedule that are two or more days away.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#118 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

I generally keep my DVR's drive pretty clean, moving stuff to EHD's. My 612 rarely has any accumulation but my 722 does right now.

I don't see any correlation between when it happens and DVR space. In fact, I can't see any reason for it to happen that is specific to some measurable event. And it doesn't happen on mine on days when another person reports it. It seems random, except for the fact that on both boxes it started happening after the changes in firmware/software were made to accommodate BB.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#119 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

What happens to the guide if you run a check switch test? This should update the guide information. Please let me know if you have already tried this. You can also unplug the receiver for 10 seconds from the electrical outlet to have the receiver reboot. Thanks.

If I run a check switch test, at the end, it will upgrade the guide info. Then both guide and search are back to normal.
Question is -- Why would I have to keep doing the check switch to get the guide and search functionality back to what it's supposed to be at in the first place?
What's happening that's causing this?...To others as well.
I could understand if it was happening on a single 722, then I could say that the hard drive or board is on the fritz...But to happen on 2 of my 3 722's around the same time frame.
Telling me to unplug the unit, or manually update the EPG is like asking someone if their computer is plugged into an electrical outlet when it crashes on programs.
Manually updating the EPG to get basic functionality back is not the resolution to the issue.
My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

#120 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think he's asking so he can tell people how to recover the EPG while Dish's engineers find the cause.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

spam firewall