Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No guide after Friday 10/28/11

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hmm... Well, my 922 was doing it before they added the Blockbuster stuff... so I don't think that is it.

Most of the time, when it happens for me... it is towards the end of the week for 1-2 days... then usually ok for at least a week before it happens again.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hmm... Well, my 922 was doing it before they added the Blockbuster stuff... so I don't think that is it.

Most of the time, when it happens for me... it is towards the end of the week for 1-2 days... then usually ok for at least a week before it happens again.

My 722k does it when it wants. I haven't found anything that predictably causes the problem.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#123 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

My 612 did again last night.

That's interesting. I wonder if there was some code on the 922 that was added to the other boxes when the BB stuff was added?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#124 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

The guide information is stored on the HD so if it is consistently not updating, there may be a problem with the HD. Signal loss will also cause it not to update. The update occurs normally at 3 AM depending upon the receiver and if the time has been changed. Are you losing any DVR functions? Please let me know. Thanks.

My 612 did again last night.

That's interesting. I wonder if there was some code on the 922 that was added to the other boxes when the BB stuff was added?

#125 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

It's been happening with some regularity on my 922. When it's down to 2 days, it also loses all OTA sub-channel guide info. The really odd thing is that one time 9-day guide was restored during a viewing session without any check switch or other action on my part.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#126 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

It's been happening with some regularity on my 922. When it's down to 2 days, it also loses all OTA sub-channel guide info. The really odd thing is that one time 9-day guide was restored during a viewing session without any check switch or other action on my part.

When it happens on my 922... I can put it into standby sometimes and it will recover the EPG... but then it might be gone again the next day.

Usually happens to me around the end of the week for 1-2 days and then goes back to normal for a week. It doesn't happen every week either. I haven't missed any timers/recordings from it... but it is very weird.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#127 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

Yesterday (5/16) full guide was on my 722 through late afternoon. When checked for scheduled recordings a 6:35 PM, a message appeared indicating the guide was not current and needed download. When guide was checked,it showed one day. Down load worked OK in restoring gude. Guide shows 8 days this AM. I hope dish will fix this annoying glitch.

#128 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

How many times have you lost your Guide information? Have you run a check switch test to see if this will cease? The Guide information is stored on the HD. If this continues, we need to replace the receiver. Please let me know. Thanks.

Yesterday (5/16) full guide was on my 722 through late afternoon. When checked for scheduled recordings a 6:35 PM, a message appeared indicating the guide was not current and needed download. When guide was checked,it showed one day. Down load worked OK in restoring gude. Guide shows 8 days this AM. I hope dish will fix this annoying glitch.

#129 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Ray. It's happening to too many receivers for them all to have "hard drive failure" (in my humble opinion.) I replaced my 722 a few months ago, so it's not that old.

#130 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hey Ray;

My 722k was delivered just a couple of months ago. As you know, I've experienced the same problem, but sporatically (I can't induce the problem). I have been able to recover every time by either rebooting (which includes an EPG download) or a Check Switch operation. One time while I was browsing the guide, I got a message exactly as Garry L's, and was able to recover that way.

Like Garry says, I really don't think it's an individual machine issue.

I have my 722k set to do nightly updates at 4AM. Just for grins, I think I'll try 1AM or midnight to see what happens. Can I do that or does it always have to be after midnight?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#131 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

How old is your receiver? The Guide information is saved to the HD so it could be a problem with the receiver. Have you had any DVR function issues - pause, ff, rewind? Please let me know. Thanks.

Receiver is 3.5 years old (fall of '08), couple of months ago I had an issue where it would not turn on, took 3 hard resets to get it to boot up but has been fine ever since. The only recurring issue has been the short guide and that is unpredictable, it may go days or weeks before it happens again.

My hard drive on the dvr is at about 20% full, keep most stuff on EHD's, run a cooling fan and average temp is 86 degrees.

#132 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ray. It's happening to too many receivers for them all to have "hard drive failure" (in my humble opinion.) I replaced my 722 a few months ago, so it's not that old.

I agree. I've had the same guide and search issues on 2 of my 722's at the same time for say the last several weeks now.
My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

#133 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

My 722 has had the same issue return two or three times in the last couple of weeks. Guide is fine during the morning hours. Sometime during the afternoon it goes from a full guide to a two day guide. Does anyone have the same problem ?

#134 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

My 722 has had the same issue return two or three times in the last couple of weeks. Guide is fine during the morning hours. Sometime during the afternoon it goes from a full guide to a two day guide. Does anyone have the same problem ?

I've reported this same problem about my 722k. For what it's worth, my 722k has not done this in the last few weeks. The problem is random and unpredictable.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#135 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Do the DIRT folks have any ideas about this pervasive problem?

#136 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thought my Search and Guide issue was only on 2 of my 722K's. Yesterday I noticed it was on my third 722 as well...So...now I'm having this issue on all 3 of my 722's. Did a check switch and each time after completion, both the search and guide info returns to normal.
Two of my 722K's are about 18 months old and the third I've only had for about 6 months.
Very frustrating indeed, that I'll have a full 7 or 9 days of guide info, then out of the blue I'll now have perhaps one day.
I seriously doubt that's it's a hard drive issue, based upon the fact I'm experiencing this issue on all three of my 722K's.
When I notice I don't have a guide beyond one day on one receiver, if I check the other 2, sure enough they don't have anything beyond one day as well.
I turn off each receiver every evening and check switches indicate nothing beyond normal successful completion, etc.
My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

#137 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Do the DIRT folks have any ideas about this pervasive problem?

Don't know. The DIRT folks have acknowleged the issue here, but I don't think they have given us a solution.

I'm not sure what priority the Engineering Dept. has given to this problem. My assumption is that since every occurrernce has had a simple work-around by the user, the priority is low.

Maybe the new firmware has fixed it.

Edited by Henry, 12 June 2012 - 10:46 AM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#138 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Don't know. The DIRT folks have acknowleged the issue here, but I don't think they have given us a solution.

I'm not sure what priority the Engineering Dept. has given to this problem. My assumption is that since every occurrernce has had a simple work-around by the user, the priority is low.

Maybe the new firmware has fixed it.

Guess I spoke too soon.

Yesterday at around 4:30PM, I noticed that my 722(k)'s EPG didn't extend beyond Tuesday. I recovered with a Test Switch.

I also looked for the firmware version and it was still using L7.50. If history is any guide, I won't get L7.51 for another week or so.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#139 OFFLINE   Garry L

Garry L

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Today at 1:30pm-OK full guide. 3:30PM-two days of guide.

#140 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

Please PM your receiver number to me so I can submit a trouble report to our engineering department. Thanks.

Today at 1:30pm-OK full guide. 3:30PM-two days of guide.

spam firewall