Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Western Digital Hard Drive Prices

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

One of the things that I check on occasionally is the price of the Western Digital Black 1TB drive with 64MB of cache. Last month, I swore that NewEgg had this drive on sale for $69.99. Now, it's $139.99 with a limit of 1 per customer. I believe it is because some production facilities and suppliers are shut down due to flooding, but still.... dang!

This is important for me because sometimes, I test out some alternative systems using a swappable hard drive bay on my computer.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Someone mention a shortage in another thread. And we all now what happens when there's a sudden shortage.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

On October 19, 2011, right after reading about the flooding in Thailand I bought a $69.99 Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive from Amazon. That drive is not available directly from Amazon but one of their sellers is offering it right now for $119.96 with the notation "Only 1 left in stock--order soon."

There is a thread over in the Dish Forums Hard disk drive shortage looming started October 20. I didn't think to ask a moderator to move it to this forum area.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

I almost picked up a 2TB that day it was posted :nono2:

http://www.pricewatc...movable_drives/
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

One of the things that I check on occasionally is the price of the Western Digital Black 1TB drive with 64MB of cache. Last month, I swore that NewEgg had this drive on sale for $69.99. Now, it's $139.99 with a limit of 1 per customer. I believe it is because some production facilities and suppliers are shut down due to flooding, but still.... dang!

This is important for me because sometimes, I test out some alternative systems using a swappable hard drive bay on my computer.

This excerpt from Western Digital

In mid-October we temporarily suspended production at our two factories in Thailand, which have been inundated by floodwater, to protect our employees and our equipment and facilities. We manufacture approximately 60 percent of our hard drives in Thailand. With the greatest direct manufacturing exposure to the flooded areas, the impact on our business in the short term will be greater than to other HDD manufacturers.

In addition, many of our component suppliers have been impacted, leaving material for hard drive production considerably constrained
End Quote
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

Me and my big mouth.... those drives went up another $10-$20 in the past 24 hours.

Shrug.... I still have a spare or two....

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Is it a sign of the times? My daily Newegg email subject line led with "Shop Recertified & Save! $17.99 WD 80GB 7200 RPM HDD." I don't save these, but I wonder when a recertified HDD was last the lead item.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

My latest Tiger ad doesn't even mention HDDs which are usually one of their featured items.

Edit:

On 07/14/2011, this was my order :

Seagate ST320005EXA101 2TB Expansion External Drive - 2TB, USB 2.0
MPN: ST320005EXA101-RK $79.99 $79.99

Today, the same item:

Item Number: S130-9000 Model: ST320005EXA101-RK

Shipping: In Stock
Price: $149.99

Edited by SayWhat?, 28 October 2011 - 02:18 PM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   dogbreath

dogbreath

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts
  • LocationFranklin, North Carolina

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Move some facilities to the USA.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

BANGKOK | Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58am EDT

(Reuters) - Thailand hopes industrial estates swamped in the country's worst floods in half a century can be up and running again within three months, the prime minister said on Monday, as the center of the capital finally appeared to have escaped inundation.

http://www.reuters.c...&rpc=22&sp=true

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

http://camelegg.com/...N82E16822136533 - This is the type of drive that I would get.... or rather... what I used to get. Just look at the price spike.

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Looking at NewEgg now, the cheapest 1TB drive is now $139. Everything is limited to 1 per customer. Nothing suggests to me that the price highs have been reached.

It would be interesting to see how both Dish Network and DirecTV react to this. My guess is that the DVRs would probably be reserved for new customers who commit to a super-premium package (America's Everything/DirecTV Premier). And, at the current sizes/prices, SSDs would not make a good substitute for recording high-definition programming. When I had my DirecTiVo, a 40GB hard drive recorded ~35 hours of Standard Definition programming.

At least with personal computers, it is fairly easy to substitute a lower-capacity drive (and prepare to do a lot of deleting). And the cost of a hard drive is still lower than that of a innocent, hard-working, honest victim of the Thailand floods.

#13 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

Move some facilities to the USA.

That would be great if you want to pay $300 for a $100 item.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#14 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Wow. I wanted the Samsung SpinPoint 1 TB 2.5 inch 9.5 mm drive for a laptop which I recently discovered at $109. I had read on Newegg's feedback posts that it had been $89.99 which I entered as part of their 'price alert' feature. B & H had it for that price too.

It's $219.99 now on Newegg!:mad:

http://camelegg.com/...N82E16822152291
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#15 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Going the other route, I've become really fascinated with the benefits of solid-state drives. Fast, Fast, Fast!

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

I don't understand the concept of market panic. Drives will be back in production in a few weeks and prices will be back where they were (or lower) shortly thereafter.

Why pay higher prices now? Let them sit on the shelf.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:24 AM

I think it would be more like a few months instead of a few weeks. Plus, there is a adequate substitute in the form of SSD drives, although you don't get as much space. (Oh noes! That means I have to delete junk!)

Too bad we don't have pictures of the flooded plant.... oh wait.... TweakTown and LegitReviews have photos.

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Looking at NewEgg now, the cheapest 1TB drive is now $139. Everything is limited to 1 per customer. Nothing suggests to me that the price highs have been reached.

It would be interesting to see how both Dish Network and DirecTV react to this. My guess is that the DVRs would probably be reserved for new customers who commit to a super-premium package (America's Everything/DirecTV Premier). And, at the current sizes/prices, SSDs would not make a good substitute for recording high-definition programming. When I had my DirecTiVo, a 40GB hard drive recorded ~35 hours of Standard Definition programming.

At least with personal computers, it is fairly easy to substitute a lower-capacity drive (and prepare to do a lot of deleting). And the cost of a hard drive is still lower than that of a innocent, hard-working, honest victim of the Thailand floods.

Echostar and DIRECTV's manufacturers just won't order new hard drives which will just reduce the amount of new receivers going into the field and refurbs will start being used on new installs as well until pricing gets back in line. They also buy in bulk for months at a time so this won't hit their cost really unless this goes on for an extended time.

I don't understand the concept of market panic. Drives will be back in production in a few weeks and prices will be back where they were (or lower) shortly thereafter.

Why pay higher prices now? Let them sit on the shelf.

True for people who just want a hard drive but if you have to buy one you're going to pay those rates and people will keep ordering them if they have to have one no matter what the cost goes to. Most people don't have multiple drives or spares laying around.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Most of our systems are under warranty, but this made me curious. Does anyone know who actually makes drives for systems like HP Proliant servers? The official ones that HP uses, not OEM type. I figured someone else made them for HP.

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

Just checking the prices through camelegg. They are starting to drop down again, but rather slowly. But, for the entire month of November.... OUCH!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...