Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.3.x: Issues/Discussion only (No Jailbreak Talk)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

This is the official thread for issues and discussion of iPad App 1.3.x.

Please refrain from discussing philosophical issues, for example anything having to do with jailbreaking.

Keeping this thread on topic will help the developers improve the product.

DIRECTV App for iPad Walkthough

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 07 December 2011 - 10:32 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

I've thoroughly tested this app with my network and iPad 1. Great!! It has worked nearly perfect every time I use it.

for info, my network is all wireless 802.11n and my internet speed is 12Mbit...

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Updated the app to 1.3.1 yesterday. No problems with the update itself.

Really nice job on the live TV streaming!

The following bugs/issues have still not been corrected (can we PLEASE fix #2):

Does not take advantage of iOS multitasking (starts from scratch whenever you leave the app and then return).
No way to dismiss the detail dialog in guide list view mode.
Data listed in the sports tab for many sports (golf and NASCAR in particular but I have honestly not checked them all) is incorrect/incomplete. Completed in particular seems to have issues.
In the movies tab, Browse Movies/What's on Now does not list all the movies currently playing "now".
Search results are inconsistent at best and just wrong many times.

Some of these problems are clearly issues with the back end data feeds and not the app itself but it still causes the app to be less than functional.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#4 OFFLINE   tivoboy

tivoboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

App sure works nicely and the quality is great. Great little option for a second tv in the weight room.

#5 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

I was excited to see the new version.
But after playing with it a little bit yesterday, I realized that the live streaming is not something I will make much use of.

I rarely watch anything in real time. Even sporting events, I mostly watch 30 or 60 minutes or more into the game, and 30Skip through commercials, timeouts, catcher's visits to the mound and icing calls.

The broadcasts I do watch live are mostly local news, and the local channels aren't streaming yet.

Don't get me wrong--I think this is a great addition to the growing supply of DirecTV features and toys. It's just not filling a useful role for me, at this point.

Now, add all the "channels I get" and all the recordings on my various Playlists, and the feature would be a gem.

#6 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

I had mentioned earlier that I was having trouble with the app when I was not on my home network. Everything seems to be working fine today. Must have been some install glitch, or first day stress to the DirecTV servers.

Setup

Ken

#7 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Since the other thread is closed, if you are having wifi vs. wired network problems, just shut off DHCP on your wireless router and plug in into the wired setup. Make it a passive AP instead of a router.

How? http://www.smallnetb...an-access-point is one guide. There's also one specific to Netgear http://vpncasestudy....ccess_point.pdf

#8 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

I had mentioned earlier that I was having trouble with the app when I was not on my home network. Everything seems to be working fine today. Must have been some install glitch, or first day stress to the DirecTV servers.

Are you saying the app works (including live streaming) when you are not on your home network?

#9 OFFLINE   fthomasr

fthomasr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

Love the app.

But, the volume is too low! I have the volume all the way up and with it right in front of me I can't here it if there is any kind of ambient noise around. Kitchen at dinner? Nope. Inches from my plate, propped up right in front of me I can't hear it.

#10 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Are you saying the app works (including live streaming) when you are not on your home network?

Believe it's a matter of having two networks at home.

Wish it did work away from home. Maybe some day.

#11 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

I'm still banging my drum.

Where is the love for OS X?

#12 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

The app works, streaming does not. I use it when I travel to add shows to be recorded. I hear about things that sound interesting while I'm at work.

When I first installed, it was hanging on every screen.

Setup

Ken

#13 OFFLINE   todd.scallions

todd.scallions

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

The app works, streaming does not. I use it when I travel to add shows to be recorded. I hear about things that sound interesting while I'm at work.

When I first installed, it was hanging on every screen.

I know what you are talking about. I opened up the app to check the Guide to see when something was coming on and the app just hung on the first screen. It seems as if it is trying to connect to the receiver (which isn't going to happen at work) and there is no time out built in. It just sits there looking for them.

This was NOT an issue before the latest update as it would eventually time out and state that it could not locate my receivers.

#14 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I know what you are talking about. I opened up the app to check the Guide to see when something was coming on and the app just hung on the first screen. It seems as if it is trying to connect to the receiver (which isn't going to happen at work) and there is no time out built in. It just sits there looking for them.

This was NOT an issue before the latest update as it would eventually time out and state that it could not locate my receivers.

It still times out in about 15 seconds for me.

#15 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

What prevents the LIL's from being available? I mean this is neat, and works great, but 80% of what we watch are LIL's.

I assume it is the networks restricting it but why does it matter if you watch their programming live on your TV set or live while sitting on the throne?

You can't leave the house with it so I don't understand the restriction.

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

I think that it has more to do with signing or modifying the contracts for thousands of local stations for carriage. That's a lot of time.

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

It would take a lot of servers for DirecTV to be able to provide each local channel to their respective customers. And I don't think the local affiliates would care too much for you being able to stream the DNS stations. I don't know if we will ever see ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox included in this.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

Don't know if this was mentioned in the earlier thread, but the new Bloomberg iPad app also streams a live version of their channel, and you can watch it everywhere - you don't have to be on your home network connected to your DVR. Video quality is quite good.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Yes, CNN also streams live through their app. I know that it would be great to have the intra-LAN restriction lifted, and it's not completely off the table... but there's a lot of discussion that would need to be had first.

#20 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

It would take a lot of servers for DirecTV to be able to provide each local channel to their respective customers. And I don't think the local affiliates would care too much for you being able to stream the DNS stations. I don't know if we will ever see ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox included in this.

I guess that makes sense when you think about it. For some reason my mind erroneously thought it came from my DirecTV connection so whatever I had on my TV I could stream. I should have known this is basically VOD but with current programming.

For me it's pretty useless as most of what we watch is LIL. It's "cool" for sure but mostly useless without LIL. Now if we could stream FROM a local playlist at least we could do the "record & watch" thing to get LIL's but if we could stream from a playlist we probably could just as easily stream from live TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...