Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.3.x: Issues/Discussion only (No Jailbreak Talk)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,478 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

I agree. With DirecTV2PC, we can quickly 'record' any channel and play it on a PC or laptop within the home network.

We just need DirecTV2iPad. It solves a couple of problems and no legal issues. (or at least same issue with DirecTV2PC)

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sipester

sipester

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

I agree. With DirecTV2PC, we can quickly 'record' any channel and play it on a PC or laptop within the home network.

We just need DirecTV2iPad. It solves a couple of problems and no legal issues. (or at least same issue with DirecTV2PC)

Fully agree. They've already set the expectation this can be only be used in the home anyway, so I don't see any reason why they can't do a DirecTV2iPad app that's fully integrated with the existing Ipad app.

I was excited to see the new version.
But after playing with it a little bit yesterday, I realized that the live streaming is not something I will make much use of.

I rarely watch anything in real time. Even sporting events, I mostly watch 30 or 60 minutes or more into the game, and 30Skip through commercials, timeouts, catcher's visits to the mound and icing calls.

The broadcasts I do watch live are mostly local news, and the local channels aren't streaming yet.

Don't get me wrong--I think this is a great addition to the growing supply of DirecTV features and toys. It's just not filling a useful role for me, at this point.

Now, add all the "channels I get" and all the recordings on my various Playlists, and the feature would be a gem.

There's always slingbox :) , but again, DirecTV2iPad is what is needed.

#23 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Being able to watch all the programming on your account on any device and anywhere in the world would be a wonderful thing, but we all know that's a long way off.

What Directv has delivered in the last year or so - Direct2PC, Whole Home DVR and now the iPad app are terrific new options and I greatly appreciate their efforts to keep up with the latest technology trends.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#24 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

Fully agree. They've already set the expectation this can be only be used in the home anyway, so I don't see any reason why they can't do a DirecTV2iPad app that's fully integrated with the existing Ipad app.

They can. It just might take some time to get it all buttoned down. And, yes, given the iPads already excellent access to guides, DVR playlists, etc. this will be pretty awesome.

I find DirecTV2PC tolerable, but rarely very awesome, since it only does a small portion of the equation.

#25 OFFLINE   Cobra50

Cobra50

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

I am unable to stream any live tv to my iPad while connected to my home network. I keep getting the following message: "Your home network is responding too slowly". I am able to stream hd content from Netflix without any issues, but no luck with the directv iPad app. Any ideas?

#26 OFFLINE   bfkidd

bfkidd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

At first I could not get it to play sound through the speaker even though other apps worked fine.

There is an apparent bug related to the setting of the side switch.

I changed it from rotate lock to mute then back to rotate lock and I now have sound.

In testing one time I got the network is not responding fast enough. I have everything connected to a gigabit switch with zero other traffic. The iPad was about 5 ft from the wireless AP at the time. I have never had an issue streaming from the DirectTV to PC app.

#27 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,478 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Is it a G or N wireless?

You might try changing the channel from the default on your router. If there are a lot of neighbors, you could be getting interference from them. G (or 2.4 GHz N) is also affected more by cordless phones and microwaves.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#28 OFFLINE   Camborita

Camborita

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Does the live streaming only work if you have a HRxx in your network? I don't have any DVR's, only an H20 and two H23's. Both H23's are in my network, but whenever I try to launch live streaming a popup comes up that says "Live streaming unavailable. An HD DVR was not found on your network."

Am I misunderstanding something? Don't see why you would have to have a DVR to use a streaming feature that pulls the programming from your local network...

#29 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Does the live streaming only work if you have a HRxx in your network? I don't have any DVR's, only an H20 and two H23's. Both H23's are in my network, but whenever I try to launch live streaming a popup comes up that says "Live streaming unavailable. An HD DVR was not found on your network."

Am I misunderstanding something? Don't see why you would have to have a DVR to use a streaming feature that pulls the programming from your local network...

Yeah, you need to have an HDDVR on your network. I'm not sure the exact reason but I would guess it has something to do with the extra monthly fee you pay by having one or as an incentive to upgrade.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#30 OFFLINE   orgtech

orgtech

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

Finally we can watch live tv like the cable guys have. Thanks

Now only if we could do it anywhere on the channels we subscribe to!!

#31 OFFLINE   cbiggers

cbiggers

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Anyone setup a VPN server at home and setup VPN client on the iPad and tried the app? I don't see why it wouldn't work if you were using VPN over wifi. I doubt the app would even detect it.

It should just think your on a local network. I will try it tonight and let you guys know if it works.

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

It doesn't work, I tried it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   leesweet

leesweet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Question I've not seen addressed in either thread. What's the CC (caption) status? If there's an option for it I can't find it. And I don't know about current regs, but the upcoming 'Internet TV' CC additions to the current requirements could/should/might apply here?
-Lee
Want to see my setup?

#34 OFFLINE   Linxs

Linxs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Theirs a new update for it today. But what did it do? I didn't notice anything different.

#35 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

Question I've not seen addressed in either thread. What's the CC (caption) status? If there's an option for it I can't find it. And I don't know about current regs, but the upcoming 'Internet TV' CC additions to the current requirements could/should/might apply here?

No captions available. Generally they don't tell what's coming. I expect they do monitor this forum, so this is a good place to cast your vote.

Setup

Ken

#36 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

I got today's update too. Not sure what was 'new' about it.

#37 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Don't know, but probably bug fix.

#38 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Ok so this will only work on my home network, really do I need to watch tv on my iPad if I am home ? I am away from home currently connected via wi-fi this is when and where I would like to view live tv.
Second thing what about recorded programming on my Play List ? Again being able to view away from "home network " would be the true benifit !
Traveling on air plane ect.
Don't tell me about Sling Box either......

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

cancun68, the iPad app doesn't let you view recorded programs where inside or outside your home LAN. Maybe in the future, but not now. If you want a device to do that, you need a [almost said it... instead I'll say...] nomad.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#40 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Stuart

Yeah I get that, but isn't that what we really want from a "technology" outfit as DTV?
It's 64 not 68 :)
I would watch on my tv's when home not iPad. The novelty of it would wear off quickly, cool but not all that and a bad of chips barbecued !

Protected By... spam firewall...And...