Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.3.x: Issues/Discussion only (No Jailbreak Talk)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Well, poo. Sorry for that, didn't mean to misnumber you.

And for the record, I'm with you. I want a mobile device to give me programming outside the home. That's why I have a nomad and a [device that dares not speak its name.]
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Well, poo. Sorry for that, didn't mean to misnumber you.

And for the record, I'm with you. I want a mobile device to give me programming outside the home. That's why I have a nomad and a [device that dares not speak its name.]

can you tel me about Nomad please ?
Think this and sb will be obsolete when DTV gives us what we want ?
No worries bout the number !!!!

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

Here's a little bit about it: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197046

It sits on your home LAN, pre-transcodes programs for you into a size that's appropriate for your iOS device, and then allows you to carry them around with you and watch them without any need for connectivity, for up to 30 days.

#44 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Here's a little bit about it: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197046

It sits on your home LAN, pre-transcodes programs for you into a size that's appropriate for your iOS device, and then allows you to carry them around with you and watch them without any need for connectivity, for up to 30 days.

Thanks, as I asked before, when DTV allows us to view from our Play List on an iPad will devices like this be obsolete ?

#45 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thanks, as I asked before, when DTV allows us to view from our Play List on an iPad will devices like this be obsolete ?

I don't know that we will ever get access to our playlist on the road. I think the live streaming like they are now starting to offer in home might eventually be allowed outside the home though.

And I don't see Nomad becoming obsolete for a long time, as there will be a lot of places without free/cheap high speed internet that be good enough for streaming.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#46 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

I've also seen some hotels start to charge for streaming. I suspect this will be a trend. Email is free, but higher connection rates will cost more.

The other thing is nomad is great on the plane, or out of the country. I'm off to India on Friday, and I expect slow Internet, and no streaming options at all.

Setup

Ken

#47 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

I don't know for sure... but there will always be a place for a device that lets you take your content with you without needing an internet connection.

#48 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

And there are lots of places I've enjoyed the live streaming on the iPad, Kitchen, garage, deck, bedroom without turning on the big tv, watching something else while the TV is on without bothering others . . .

And lots of places I've enjoyed Nomad programs on the iPad, waiting rooms, car maintenance, away from home for the weekend . . .haven't been on a plane since I got nomad but that would also work.

There's lots of transition going on and it will take a while for everything to fall out. I'd like streaming anywhere, I'd like a DirecTv2iPad to watch anything on my DVRs in the garage, including almost 'live' of our locals.

Sit back, enjoy what we have, hopefully in 6 months or so, things will be different.

They certainly are from 6 months ago!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#49 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

I appreciate everbodies input and opinions.
Ok so the listed price on the DTV webiste is $149.00 for Nomad, is that what everyone is paying ?
What are the differences between this and sling box ? This seems to be proprietary to DTV, is that correct ?
I must say this is the best site for all things DTV to get informative answers !!

#50 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

I appreciate everbodies input and opinions.
Ok so the listed price on the DTV webiste is $149.00 for Nomad, is that what everyone is paying ?
What are the differences between this and sling box ? This seems to be proprietary to DTV, is that correct ?
I must say this is the best site for all things DTV to get informative answers !!

I paid list price.

nomad is download of video, sling is streaming video. If you have no network or slow network, you don't want to stream. To download, you must be on your home network.

There is also an iPad client that streams, but not all channels. If you prefer streaming, Sling is more flexible. It does put you at risk for your ISP upload cap. Sling is also open to any video input, not just DTV.

nomad is DTV only.

FWIW, I have both Sling and nomad. Since I installed nomad, I've not used the Sling box.

Setup

Ken

#51 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

I paid list price.

nomad is download of video, sling is streaming video. If you have no network or slow network, you don't want to stream. To download, you must be on your home network.

There is also an iPad client that streams, but not all channels. If you prefer streaming, Sling is more flexible. It does put you at risk for your ISP upload cap. Sling is also open to any video input, not just DTV.

nomad is DTV only.

FWIW, I have both Sling and nomad. Since I installed nomad, I've not used the Sling box.

Thanks, so with Nomad I have a program on my receiver that has been recorded, while I am at home I would download it to my iPad and then be able to view it anywhere(plane,train,automobile), correct ?
How large are the files(30,60 minute program) I am downloading to the pad ? Is deleting easy ?
Can I fast forward,pause etc ?
Am I missing anything else ?

#52 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

The DirecTV iPad app is frozen at some update screen. Does anyone know the ip addresses or URL the app reaches out to determine if there is an update? I would like to block these on my firewall. I do not want to update.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#53 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

cancun64 -- You might want to read this thread. has tons of information about the nomad nomad thread

You have the basics correct. Very easy to use and delete. Pause works OK; I find FF a bit clunky. You can also have up to five devices with the nomad client software -- In addition to iPad, Touch, windows laptops and iPhones right now. Android "coming soon."

#54 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

The DirecTV iPad app is frozen at some update screen. Does anyone know the ip addresses or URL the app reaches out to determine if there is an update? I would like to block these on my firewall. I do not want to update.

I'm not sure the app even checks for an update. AFAIK, you need to do that through the app store and update manually.

At least that's the behavior I've always seen. :shrug:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#55 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure the app even checks for an update. AFAIK, you need to do that through the app store and update manually.

At least that's the behavior I've always seen. :shrug:

When you start it, and if there is an update, it automatically takes you to the download. You have no choice. Either update or it won't run at all. You can't stick with the previous version.

#56 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

When you start it, and if there is an update, it automatically takes you to the download. You have no choice. Either update or it won't run at all. You can't stick with the previous version.

Wow, I've never seen that before. I always check for updates every morning in the app store so that may be why.

Thanks for the info. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Actually, starting with version 1.3.1 there was a popup directing you to update.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

I have to ask, why wouldn't you want to update?

#59 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Actually, starting with version 1.3.1 there was a popup directing you to update.

Not only did it direct you but it wouldn't allow you to load the old version if you did not want to update.

#60 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I have to ask, why wouldn't you want to update?

For fear that the update will kill the use of the app for those of us that have escaped prison (not allowed to use the J word). It didn't.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...