Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.3.x: Issues/Discussion only (No Jailbreak Talk)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   cancun64

cancun64

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

I paid list price.

nomad is download of video, sling is streaming video. If you have no network or slow network, you don't want to stream. To download, you must be on your home network.

There is also an iPad client that streams, but not all channels. If you prefer streaming, Sling is more flexible. It does put you at risk for your ISP upload cap. Sling is also open to any video input, not just DTV.

nomad is DTV only.

FWIW, I have both Sling and nomad. Since I installed nomad, I've not used the Sling box.

Thanks, so with Nomad I have a program on my receiver that has been recorded, while I am at home I would download it to my iPad and then be able to view it anywhere(plane,train,automobile), correct ?
How large are the files(30,60 minute program) I am downloading to the pad ? Is deleting easy ?
Can I fast forward,pause etc ?
Am I missing anything else ?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

The DirecTV iPad app is frozen at some update screen. Does anyone know the ip addresses or URL the app reaches out to determine if there is an update? I would like to block these on my firewall. I do not want to update.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#53 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,656 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

cancun64 -- You might want to read this thread. has tons of information about the nomad nomad thread

You have the basics correct. Very easy to use and delete. Pause works OK; I find FF a bit clunky. You can also have up to five devices with the nomad client software -- In addition to iPad, Touch, windows laptops and iPhones right now. Android "coming soon."

#54 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

The DirecTV iPad app is frozen at some update screen. Does anyone know the ip addresses or URL the app reaches out to determine if there is an update? I would like to block these on my firewall. I do not want to update.

I'm not sure the app even checks for an update. AFAIK, you need to do that through the app store and update manually.

At least that's the behavior I've always seen. :shrug:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#55 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure the app even checks for an update. AFAIK, you need to do that through the app store and update manually.

At least that's the behavior I've always seen. :shrug:

When you start it, and if there is an update, it automatically takes you to the download. You have no choice. Either update or it won't run at all. You can't stick with the previous version.

#56 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

When you start it, and if there is an update, it automatically takes you to the download. You have no choice. Either update or it won't run at all. You can't stick with the previous version.

Wow, I've never seen that before. I always check for updates every morning in the app store so that may be why.

Thanks for the info. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#57 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Actually, starting with version 1.3.1 there was a popup directing you to update.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,321 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

I have to ask, why wouldn't you want to update?

#59 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Actually, starting with version 1.3.1 there was a popup directing you to update.

Not only did it direct you but it wouldn't allow you to load the old version if you did not want to update.

#60 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

For fear that the update will kill the use of the app for those of us that have escaped prison (not allowed to use the J word). It didn't.

#61 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

It's the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

I updated and it still ain't broke, so there.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#62 OFFLINE   jwillafo

jwillafo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Maybe I missed something but I'd also like to be able to see the to-do list and work with series manager via the iPad app. I have 3 hddvrs and it's no joy keeping a manual spreadsheet (or going from room to room) to keep track of what's set to record when and where. If the app has this ability and I missed it perhaps someone will bring me up to speed. Otherwise I think it's a great app for what it does. Thanks

#63 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Maybe I missed something but I'd also like to be able to see the to-do list and work with series manager via the iPad app. I have 3 hddvrs and it's no joy keeping a manual spreadsheet (or going from room to room) to keep track of what's set to record when and where. If the app has this ability and I missed it perhaps someone will bring me up to speed. Otherwise I think it's a great app for what it does. Thanks

No to do list at present. I am sure you'll hear a big shout when/if/as that comes.

Others have suggested ways to reduce much of the guesswork and poking about.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Use the iPhone app on your iPad. Works just fine on both iPad and iPad2.

Version 1.0.1 is, I think, now released officially for both the iPhone/iPod Touch and the iPad [today!]. Leastways, they both work on my phone and pad.

#65 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 14,004 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

The nomad App discussion is in another thread guys.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197694

I have moved the nomad related posts to the correct thread.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 03 November 2011 - 03:04 AM.

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#66 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

The first day or so that I used live streaming on my iPad it was great, since then I can't watch for more than a few minutes without video freezing up, audio getting out of sync or the program backing up a bit and replaying. Sometimes, all three happen within a 30 second time period.

I know its not my iPad or my Internet connection because HBO Go or Netflix work perfectly fine on the same device as soon as I shut down D* streaming.

#67 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

The first day or so that I used live streaming on my iPad it was great, since then I can't watch for more than a few minutes without video freezing up, audio getting out of sync or the program backing up a bit and replaying. Sometimes, all three happen within a 30 second time period.

I know its not my iPad or my Internet connection because HBO Go or Netflix work perfectly fine on the same device as soon as I shut down D* streaming.

I can report seeing similar issues last night trying to stream on my iPad. I was watchig TLC at the time around 9:00 PDT and it would stop streaming after a minute or so. I had to close the Live TV window and re-open to resume playback.

Could be heavy load on the servers... :shrug:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#68 OFFLINE   scottacus

scottacus

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

I can't use live streaming even though I have HD DVRs (HR20i, to be specific).

My DVRs are connected to the app fine (on static IPs) and I can use all the other control aspects of the app successfully. (They also work correctly with all other networked services, such as on demand, MRV, etc.0 But when I try live streaming I get the error message that no HD DVRs were found.

I suspect it's because I have IP-based DirecTV service and use the "special" HR20i box. There's no technical reason this shouldn't work, it just seems that the app isn't recognizing this box as a valid HD DVR.

Hopefully this is something that could be fixed with an update as I'd really like to use iPad streaming.

#69 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

Not sure, but I think that the HR2xi isn't supported for streaming, so you're right.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#70 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,321 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Well it appears that I may have found the cause of my ipad app crashing all the time. To many modules. I erased about half of them, and it hasn't crashed since. I guess it was being asked to load to much info at any given time.

#71 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Well it appears that I may have found the cause of my ipad app crashing all the time. To many modules. I erased about half of them, and it hasn't crashed since. I guess it was being asked to load to much info at any given time.

I'm curious... how many did you have? I've got 13 at the moment.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#72 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'm curious... how many did you have? I've got 13 at the moment.

I have 82 on a 16GB iPad and have had no issues.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#73 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

How many modules did you have?

And what the heck are they? :D
Apps on the 'Pad? Folders in the playlist?

#74 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

I have 82 on a 16GB iPad and have had no issues.

Wow, 82 modules in the home tab of the DAFI app? That's impressive!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#75 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

Wow, 82 modules in the home tab of the DAFI app? That's impressive!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how scrolling 82 modules is useful or interesting. "Oh, wait, that's just 27 screens over, one sec!"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...