Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.3.x: Issues/Discussion only (No Jailbreak Talk)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think the problem comes down to the dual nature of that switch. Apple is trying to maintain both uses and still keep compatibility with apps that aren't using the switch properly. So DIRECTV has to work harder to keep as many users as possible happy.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

It should be...

Try setting a recording for tonight's NFL game on NFL Network... it should prompt you to extend the recording.

This prompt is driven by a data flag provided by the content provider, so it is possible that for the recording you were trying... wasn't set correctly.

Would be nice if the website would provide this option when setting recordings. It's the worst omission on the site. :(

#123 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Would be nice if the website would provide this option when setting recordings. It's the worst omission on the site. :(

I dunno about worst omission.

Not being able to view the to do list and series priorities is a pretty big omission.

Though baby steps, I suppose.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#124 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

It should be...

Try setting a recording for tonight's NFL game on NFL Network... it should prompt you to extend the recording.

This prompt is driven by a data flag provided by the content provider, so it is possible that for the recording you were trying... wasn't set correctly.

No "Add 30 minutes to this live recording" type prompt, but I also didn't see your post until 40 minutes into the game. So I'm not sure if that made any difference.

#125 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

No "Add 30 minutes to this live recording" type prompt, but I also didn't see your post until 40 minutes into the game. So I'm not sure if that made any difference.

See post 119.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#126 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

I'm trying to con the DirecTV app to "think" it's up to date for reasons we can't talk about here. Anyway no success.. get "An invalid version number detected. Please uninstall and reinstall application."

Just throwing that out there to show that this app has gotten much smarter since it's first inception. If you want to talk more about it, you know where to find me from here on out.

Edited by cypherx, 17 November 2011 - 10:54 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#127 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:06 AM

I dunno about worst omission.

Not being able to view the to do list and series priorities is a pretty big omission.

Though baby steps, I suppose.

OK, fair point.. There is much missing. My point was, you can "run the guide" rather quickly but you can't add the extra time... It's a bummer and doesn't really make any sense. But it's also pretty off topic.

#128 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

When I went to set up a recording of a hockey game, the iPad app didn't ask me if I wanted to add 30 minutes to the recording because it was a live game (like the DVR does).

It should be...

AHA! Just checked again, and if I choose tonight's NFL game from the Guide, I get the additional dialog. If I choose it from the Sports listing page, I do not.

[Previously, I was referring to the dialog, not the additional alert for live broadcasts.]

"from the Guide" is the operative phrase. The add 30 minutes doesn't pop up if you set a live event to record from other modules (I was using the Live Stream section). Just set a hockey game to record tonight from the guide and it worked fine.

#129 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

"from the Guide" is the operative phrase. The add 30 minutes doesn't pop up if you set a live event to record from other modules (I was using the Live Stream section). Just set a hockey game to record tonight from the guide and it worked fine.

Quite right, but it's also cool that there's a dialog in all events to lengthen the recording time.
Now, a weird thing, re NFL game last night: In testing this, I set it to record via both methods- the sports Guide (pre-game, and of course, not streaming!)- and the regular Guide. Nothing recorded at all.....! Could one cancel the other?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#130 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

I read through all 6 pages of the thread and maybe I missed it but does any one know if there is any plans to develop this for Android? I have a Asus Transformer that I would love to user with this!

#131 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yes there will be an Android app. I don't know what platforms will be supported or when it will come out.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#132 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

Yes there will be an Android app. I don't know what platforms will be supported or when it will come out.

Thx!

#133 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Announced platforms are on the Directv nomad page:
http://directv.com/nomad

Setup

Ken

#134 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Yup, but those are for nomad, this thread is for the DIRECTV iPad app. They aren't the same thing. ;) :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#135 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Yes there will be an Android app.

And that would be one of the last apps I need to dump my iPad for an ICS tablet. Good news indeed.

#136 OFFLINE   coit

coit

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

I've used the streaming a few times, and I find that the quality of the stream is not very consistent. I've watched 4 or 5 different channels, and the quality always ranges from very good to almost unwatchable at times. Other times, it pauses and then restarts from a previous spot in the stream, so I see the same part of the show several times.

Is this typical for you guys, or do I have some sort of issue? We stream Hulu and Netflix all the time, so I don't think there's a bandwidth issue on my connection.

#137 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

I've used the streaming a few times, and I find that the quality of the stream is not very consistent.

I had quality issues and experienced the stream backing up for the first few days after the update, but it's been great for me since.

I'm not saying that it's been perfect since then, but toiletvision has been pretty solid for me.

#138 OFFLINE   lovswr

lovswr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

--SNIP=-- toiletvision has been pretty solid for me.

I had been on D* for 6 years, & then two years ago I moved, into an apartment, & was reluctant to spend the money to continue to be a D* customer. Well this app (& my general dissatisfaction with Comcast) is going to motivate me to get back to D*. Hopefully, my D* brethren, I too will be enjoying toilet bliss in a month or two :grin:
Sony 60A2020 | Sony STR-DA5200ES | PS3 all via HDMI | XBOX360 via component | JBL Northridge Series 5.1
Sony KDF-E42A10 | Sony STR-DG820 | Samsung BD-P1500
BOTH HR20's & PS3 & XBOX 360 networked via tversity v 1.0 RC2
HD-DVD = 52 Blu Ray = 55

#139 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

DIRECTV App for iPad is updated to 1.3.6 in the app store this morning.

Improvements listed as "Stability enhancements".

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#140 OFFLINE   coit

coit

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

I got the 1.3.6 update last night, did a few quick tests. Quality was consistently better than it had been before, and one time the feed stalled out, it recovered quickly.

Hopefully they have worked out more of the bugs...

What's the plan for channel offerings? Is there a thread discussing that?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...