Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

This is the official thread for discussing the use of jailbroken or rooted hardware with DIRECTV devices and DIRECTV service.

You may:
  • Discuss the philosophical and legal aspects of jailbreaking or rooting.

You may not:
  • Discuss how to jailbreak or root
  • Discuss how to hack apps to work with jailbroken or rooted hardware
  • Attack others who choose to exercise their legal right to modify purchased hardware
  • In any way discuss any violation of terms&conditions, customer agreements, or in any other way break forum rules.

Go!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

It's called encryption. Netflix uses it as does HBO. They allow rooted use because they've taken their own steps to protect their content and aren't relying solely on hardware DRM.

Neither is streaming content in the clear after passing simple authentication, but that doesn't mean that their content can't be swiped. It can be.

But it's not crap. You think you know you're right but that doesn't make it any less possible for streams to be stolen on rooted/jailbroken devices.

It can be done. Do I know how to do it? Actually, I don't. It's not that hard to figure out.

Do I know that DirecTV is using weak or no encryption past authentication? No, I don't. !

As for the droid being blocked b/c it was rooted im sorry i forgot about that as i had an evo4g and we got the app quick on our device and dont remember being blocked b/c of root ever. regardless they haven't cared/blocked in awhile, and now fully support being rooted now.

So your saying that b/c this content is being streamed live that it can't be encrypted like Netflix/HBO are doing???

Im not saying nor have I ever said that it wasn't "possible" to steal the stream even on netflix/hbo apps. What I will say is that I find it very hard to believe that regular programing networks will req more security than the film studios would.
Hence my whole argument saying that if Netflix can get away with allowing it on rooted devices then so should DIRECTV as long as they take the steps Netflix has taken.

But if its impossible to do what netflix does with movies on a delayed stream then ill end my argument right now. I just dont think thats the case less someone would like to explain why it is.

I just think this is the first step for streaming for them and rather than take the time to do the steps Netflix/hbo has in their app they figured rather get it out to some first and then expand it to "jailbroken" devices later. Which would be just like Netflix did with their rollout.

#3 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

This is the official thread for discussing the use of jailbroken or rooted hardware with DIRECTV devices and DIRECTV service.

You may:

• Discuss the philosophical and legal aspects of jailbreaking or rooting.

You may not:
  • Discuss how to jailbreak or root
  • Discuss how to hack apps to work with jailbroken or rooted hardware
  • Attack others who choose to exercise their legal right to modify purchased hardware
  • In any way discuss any violation of terms&conditions, customer agreements, or in any other way break forum rules.

Go!

adjust thread title to be concerned with DIRECTV iPad App Jailbreak issues so this doesn't invite everyone who jailbreaks to the convo that we were having before which was centered around why they are blocking those devices....??

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Is that better?

#5 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Is that better?

haha itll do. thanks. Just wanted somewhat productive talk and not, ppl spoutin reason they do ro dont jailbreak and how good or bad it is. lol

you the man as usual!

#6 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Stuart.

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

So your saying that b/c this content is being streamed live that it can't be encrypted like Netflix/HBO are doing???

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I don't know if DirecTV is employing their own software encryption or if they are only using the iPad hardware DRM.

It's possible that it's an if/then proposition for DirecTV:

IF you don't provide software encryption THEN you block jailbroken devices.

IF you utilize software encryption THEN you can allow jailbreak devices in.

It's speculation and nothing more, but I spent weeks researching this topic for an article that was never posted. It's a trainwreck of possibilities.

#8 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Stuart. I wanted to comment on the other thread but I promised to keep my mouth shut after just letting this one suggestion in.

If the iPad is JB then don't display streaming options. Still allow control features to work as they did in 1.2.6

If the iPad is unmodified carry on with the new streaming options.

This is my FAIR proposal.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#9 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I don't know if DirecTV is employing their own software encryption or if they are only using the iPad hardware DRM.

It's possible that it's an if/then proposition for DirecTV:

IF you don't provide software encryption THEN you block jailbroken devices.

IF you utilize software encryption THEN you can allow jailbreak devices in.

It's speculation and nothing more, but I spent weeks researching this topic for an article that was never posted. It's a trainwreck of possibilities.

Then we are pretty much on the same page then for the most part.

in the other thread i was just getting at the point that if Netflix can develop their app to be sound and pass the req the film studios want then there should be a way for DIRECTV to do the same. Which would in turn allow the app to be used on "jailbroken/rooted" devices.

I just dont buy the argument people were saying in there that the reason it is the way it is, is b/c DIRECTV doesn't want the content stolen and it could be part of the agreements made. I just can't see a regular programing station asking for stricter req than the major film studios do of Netflix.

And with that said i think/hope that this app version is just like Netflix's first few Android versions where it was only on certain secure devices and then later evolved shortly after into supporting all devices and even rooted ones directly now.

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

If you aren't an Apple developer, then you may not know that Apple tests apps before they are published. I've had some rejected for the oddest reasons. Perhaps, just maybe, Apple wouldn't pass it without certain safeguards or blocks in place that weren't there for the prior version.

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,236 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Please read the first post before you start posting.

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

If you aren't an Apple developer, then you may not know that Apple tests apps before they are published. I've had some rejected for the oddest reasons. Perhaps, just maybe, Apple wouldn't pass it without certain safeguards or blocks in place that weren't there for the prior version.

doubt it, if they let netflix work on jailbroken devices they wouldn't flinch at this one. less the way DIRECTV did the encryption was troublesome and they had to remove it and figured to just only allow it on non jailbroken devices in the mean time while they fix it.

unlikely thats what happened though.

#13 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Just annoys me that when DRM is discussed it is always a way of restricting me from using content that I've paid for.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well, the thing is, you haven't paid to buy it, you've paid to license it. It's all in the terms and conditions. You don't have the unlimited right to do as you wish with the content.

#15 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

Well, the thing is, you haven't paid to buy it, you've paid to license it. It's all in the terms and conditions. You don't have the unlimited right to do as you wish with the content.

OK, how about if I point out that all this restriction does is annoy paying customers? Somebody that wants a HD rip of a video will still get it.

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

OK, how about if I point out that all this restriction does is annoy paying customers? Somebody that wants a HD rip of a video will still get it.

I have locks on the doors to my house. They annoy the heck out of me, don't stop the real thieves, but slow the casual kleptomaniac.

I have a password on my computer for the same reason (and also annoys the heck out of me.)

I use parental controls on my video equipment so that my grandkids don't stumble upon things they aren't ready to see. (And so the 2 year old doesn't change channels and buy lots of PPV playing with the remote.) :)

There are many restrictions we put upon ourselves that don't really stop the determined. And I don't particularly care for DRM. But it does stop the ignorant from running wild copying things they should know better but don't.

(I even ran into a police officer who didn't understand copying software was illegal...)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Well put. Many of us take for granted the "I agree" on the license agreements without ever reading them. Got a new iphone today and there it was, the complete license agreement and had to agree to it.

#18 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

Yep, just like some people will walk in to a store and put the things that they want in their pocket instead of a cart, some people will download HD rips.

DirecTV isn't annoying me, because before yesterday I couldn't stream anything to my iPad. Legally. Now I can. That's ok by me.

If you make the choice to jailbreak your iPad and circumvent the control over the device that Apple intended and developers expect, you have no right to bitch when a developer precludes you from using their app.

#19 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

I have not tried to JB my iPad or iPhone, but I have rooted my Android phone (don't ask why I have an iPhone AND a Droid). In rooting my phone I gained several things - I am now running Gingerbread on a phone that officially supports Froyo, I am running HTC Sense 3.0, and I get double the battery life I got with the stock Verizon ROM. However, I also gave up access to the Verizon account management app and a few other conveniences. Do I complain about Verizon's lack of support for my hardware? No...if I want their apps to run, I can go back to the officially supported environment. I made the choice to root my device and I decided to flash it with a different ROM. Verizon made the choice to not release installable versions of "My Verizon".

The point is that we have the right to do what we want with our hardware. But DirecTV also has the right to do what they want with their software. You don't like what they did? Don't use it. That's all there is to it.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#20 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

Jailbreaking IOS brings some good tweaks to iphones and ipads. Some ones I like are:

SBSettings - Swipe at the top for a slide down menu with easy toggles for brightness, wifi, airplane mode, bluetooth, show running processes, app shortcuts, etc...

Deep End - Tweak that slightly shifts the background based on device position (uses accelerometer and gyroscope) Icons stay put but when you rotate the device it almost looks 3D because their shadows and background shift so slightly

FlashLock - On an iphone, double tap the home button on the lock screen and a button will appear to turn on the flash. Makes a great flashlight.

Speed Intensifier - Tweak all of Apples animation effects to speed them up and get in/out of programs faster. I love the animation effects Apple put into the OS, it's great visual feedback... however the ability to slightly speed it up makes it feel even quicker.

MyVolume - specify apps to change the volume to a default level, or tweak the volume buttons on the device. Ever have your phone in silent and go to watch a YouTube video. Bam, your blasted by volume because the silent mode only affects ring and text tones. MyVolume can sense if YouTube is open and start at 1 bar if you want.

Activator - You can add a shortcut to an application or an action based on a button press or certain screen swipe, or combination of things. Great way for shortcuts!

Barrel - Adds a plethora of Compiz fusion style animation effects when paging between screens of icons.

iBlacklist - Firewall style call and SMS filtering. Amazing flexibility since the carriers can't block specific numbers.

MyWi - Bluetooth or wifi tethering from phone to any bluetooth or wifi enabled device(s).

There's also tweaks for a 5 icon dock at the bottom, different themes and stuff like iFile and Terminal let you access the device. There's ways to share files via SSH or even install a built in webserver. It's just amazing the flexibility you get.

There's plugins to add information to your lock screen, reply to an SMS without leaving the current application and more. Jailbreaking is not about Piracy. It's about taking control of your device and adding the features you want. In fact you can't even pirate apps out of the box from a Jailbreak. You have to know the right patches and programs and sources to get free apps. It's NOT included.

Will DirecTV for Ipad always be easy to patch? Maybe not. I'm sure this will be a cat and mouse game. While today it's a simple toggle in a config file... I bet they made it that way on purpose to test their JB detection routines. That way if they made a mistake, they could just get past that in the lab. Maybe when they are confidant their JB detection works to their standards and there are no false positives, they will bake it right into the application binary turned on just like the Nomad app. There's no patch for Nomad yet, likely because not enough people have it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...