Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I just loaded the iPHONE version and it works fine to set recordings. Thats good enough for me. Duhhh...... Never thought of that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Nice to see the latest DIRECTV iPad app is cracked again. When will these fools learn and just give up?

#203 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Nice to see the latest DIRECTV iPad app is cracked again. When will these fools learn and just give up?

I'm sure D* appreciates the heads up. Should see an update soon.

#204 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

And a patch will follow after that. You would think DIRECTV would use there resources for something better.

#205 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'd actually think the hackers would use their resources for a JOB!!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#206 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

I had an older version working. Required some crafty trickery but I got past the minimum version requirement. Nice to update now though.

Directv back on my iPad's home screen.
image-128201943.png

Edited by cypherx, 07 February 2012 - 07:33 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#207 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Because they can hack an app in 2 min, means they don't have a job? Really? I can say that about 20 I so members and mods here.

#208 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

It's the same old story. Those who choose not to follow rules usually muck it up for everyone else. Happened in grammer school and keeps going well into adult life. It's a shame some never grow up. (present company accepted of course). ;)

#209 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Directv back on my iPad's home screen.

That is a through skinning of your iPad. I've seen a number of Android devices totally skinned like iOS devices, but yours is thee most complete Android skin I've seen.

#210 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

My point was if the hackers spent the same resources on their JOB as they do trying to get around the system, plant viruses, bots, etc, they'd probably be rich or certainly making more money than blindly planting some virus with no real financial gain.

Just like a bank or any other company, Directv has to put a good-faith effort to safeguard the product that their suppliers have put in their hands to deliver only to paying customers. Efforts that subvert that whether it's burning bootleg DVDs, bit-torrent files, identity theft, etc. end up costing all of us.

I remember the days that a customer would hand me a stack of diskettes of something like Lotus 123 and ask that I install the same copy (that they had gotten free from someone) on 20 or more workstations, instead of paying for letitimate licenses.

I had to refuse, explain my position on shoplifting, and probably lost a few customers along the way.

#211 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I remember the days that a customer would hand me a stack of diskettes of something like Lotus 123 and ask that I install the same copy (that they had gotten free from someone) on 20 or more workstations, instead of paying for letitimate licenses.

I had to refuse, explain my position on shoplifting, and probably lost a few customers along the way.

Not even CLOSE to the same thing here. :roll eyes: :nono2:

#212 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Just like a bank or any other company, Directv has to put a good-faith effort to safeguard the product that their suppliers have put in their hands to deliver only to paying customers.

1. Block streaming behind DirecTV Username and Password. Credentials tied to authentication system that determines if you have the video package that allows you the rights to view that channel.

2. Check the LAN for presence of legitimate, DirecTV DVR Receiver as a secondary authentication token that you are within your home reciever area.

3. Check local IP, VPN status and latency to DVR to ensure this is a local connection and your not trying to placeshift (this is not a slingbox).

Put a steak in it, done.

As for my iPad it's running the HoneyPad theme for Dreamboard. It's fully customizable. Background moves with swiping from screen to screen. Widgets can be placed anywhere. Icon's can be arranged any way you want from screen to screen. A full apps list looks like a Honeycomb tablet. Best of both worlds with the customize-ability of android but the appstore library of an ipad/iphone.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#213 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

1. Block streaming behind DirecTV Username and Password. Credentials tied to authentication system that determines if you have the video package that allows you the rights to view that channel.

2. Check the LAN for presence of legitimate, DirecTV DVR Receiver as a secondary authentication token that you are within your home reciever area.

3. Check local IP, VPN status and latency to DVR to ensure this is a local connection and your not trying to placeshift (this is not a slingbox).

Okay so once jailbroken, nobody would ever dare to circumvent those restrictions. :nono2:

#214 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Okay so once jailbroken, nobody would ever dare to circumvent those restrictions. :nono2:

Well username and password is on DirecTV's servers. You hack that and we all have more to worry about than streaming to an iPad. Like customer credit card information, addresses, social security numbers, etc.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#215 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Just sold my iPad2 waiting for a 3 or whatever they will call it. Got a pretty penny for it on CL just before prices started plummeting.

Wonder how long it will take to JB the 3 if it comes out with 5.1 as predicted.

#216 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

If somebody wants to 'steal' movies there are easier and higher quality ways to get it then copying it from an iPad.

#217 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

If somebody wants to 'steal' movies there are easier and higher quality ways to get it then copying it from an iPad.

I've tried that logic but it doesn't seem to work on those who made their minds up that the goal is to steal programming. Anyway, the issue seems to have been resolved. ;)

#218 OFFLINE   ajiuO

ajiuO

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

My point was if the hackers spent the same resources on their JOB as they do trying to get around the system, plant viruses, bots, etc, they'd probably be rich or certainly making more money than blindly planting some virus with no real financial gain.

Just like a bank or any other company, Directv has to put a good-faith effort to safeguard the product that their suppliers have put in their hands to deliver only to paying customers. Efforts that subvert that whether it's burning bootleg DVDs, bit-torrent files, identity theft, etc. end up costing all of us.

You have no clue what jailbreaking is about.

When you buy an iDevice. You can only buy apps from the app store. There are a lot of app developers who can not sale apps because they don't meet certian requirements that apple puts in place.

First of all jailbreaking has been ruled as perfectly legal and has nothing to do with software piracy. Jailbreaking is simply a means of gaining root acsess to the file system so that an alternate app store can be installed (cydia).

Cydia allows developers who can not sale their apps on the official app store a place to do buisness. Most of the hackers involved in jailbreaking are completely againsted software piracy... There actualy is a good reason for hackers to spend time jailbreaking.... They can sale apps apps that they develop on cydia.

I have personly spent more money on cydia apps then I have on app store apps... There are a lot of cool apps that add a lot of functionality to the devices.... In fact most of what iOS devices have today came from the jailbreak screen.... The first app market (installer) came from jailbreaking.

It's obvious that apple looks at what people use on jailbroken devices and often times implement the features... Apps, backgrounding, mms, notifications, multitasking..... Were all on jailbroken iPhones first..

So stop associating jailbreaking with ilegal activity.... It's not... The only reason apple even cares is because they don't want to have to deal with support problems related to porley written software... And that is understandable. They also want a cut of the apps sold witch they don't get from cydia.

Jailbreaking just makes portable devises more like computers. If you think that jailbreaking is the cause of piracy.... Then you should also agree that Microsoft and apple are the cause of piracy on computers by allowing root acsess to the file system and not saling software exclusively through their own online store..

I don't think directv has a problem with jailbreaking itself... They are just worried about somone making an app that could capture video.. That is understandable as well because then they have the mpaa and everyone else coming down on them...

My suggestion to directv is to go the encryption rout.... Because they aren't going to win the the cat and mouse game of jailbreak detection. They made dirctv2pc work... It shouldn't be any different...

Sheesh

#219 OFFLINE   Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

You have no clue what jailbreaking is about.

When you buy an iDevice. You can only buy apps from the app store. There are a lot of app developers who can not sale apps because they don't meet certian requirements that apple puts in place.

First of all jailbreaking has been ruled as perfectly legal and has nothing to do with software piracy. Jailbreaking is simply a means of gaining root acsess to the file system so that an alternate app store can be installed (cydia).

Cydia allows developers who can not sale their apps on the official app store a place to do buisness. Most of the hackers involved in jailbreaking are completely againsted software piracy... There actualy is a good reason for hackers to spend time jailbreaking.... They can sale apps apps that they develop on cydia.

I have personly spent more money on cydia apps then I have on app store apps... There are a lot of cool apps that add a lot of functionality to the devices.... In fact most of what iOS devices have today came from the jailbreak screen.... The first app market (installer) came from jailbreaking.

It's obvious that apple looks at what people use on jailbroken devices and often times implement the features... Apps, backgrounding, mms, notifications, multitasking..... Were all on jailbroken iPhones first..

So stop associating jailbreaking with ilegal activity.... It's not... The only reason apple even cares is because they don't want to have to deal with support problems related to porley written software... And that is understandable. They also want a cut of the apps sold witch they don't get from cydia.

Jailbreaking just makes portable devises more like computers. If you think that jailbreaking is the cause of piracy.... Then you should also agree that Microsoft and apple are the cause of piracy on computers by allowing root acsess to the file system and not saling software exclusively through their own online store..

I don't think directv has a problem with jailbreaking itself... They are just worried about somone making an app that could capture video.. That is understandable as well because then they have the mpaa and everyone else coming down on them...

My suggestion to directv is to go the encryption rout.... Because they aren't going to win the the cat and mouse game of jailbreak detection. They made dirctv2pc work... It shouldn't be any different...

Sheesh

+1

JB is not equivalent to piracy, it is just an alternative ecosystem for apps "." What others choose to do on a JB device is their business.

#220 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

Along with the nevermentioned purpose of jailbreaking . . . sharing paid apps.

spam firewall