Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Dumb question... I'm not an android user so I'm not entirely clear on this.... But what is the point in rooting? I though android was "open"... That isn't meant as sarcasm... I'm just curious... I'm sure there is a reason.

Mainly it allows you to add custom ROMs. Since it is open source devs have access to the source code and they can add/modify it to make it better. It also allows you to remove the "provider bloat" apps that are worthless crap. Some manufacturers do lock you out of doing this by encrypting access to the bootloader but are now beginning to allow access but at the cost of signing away your warranty rights.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

But does it not come with conditions? It is still their product they allow anyone that follows the terms to use.

I would probably let you borrow my truck to go to the hospital or to work for free but if I asked you not to go out drinking with it I should be able to take it back.

Ok simple analogy. The conditions is "DirecTV application for iPad is not supported on jailbroken devices". Ok it's not supported. If the program crashes or if I have issues with it, I will not ask for technical support. Guess what... Mac OSX is not supported on a PC either, but I dual boot it on my AMD Athlon based system at home. Not that I would ever ask Apple for support on it (I'm not that dumb).

I'm fine with that as a warning, but don't lock it out of remote control.

ajiuO,

I understand what you are saying but doesn't a Slingbox or Vulkano broadcast over the internet? Couldn't you give your friends the login for this equipment and watch the streams? HBOGo is protected, but guess what people still rip HBO series like Game of Thrones and True Blood. I'm not sure how exactly but I bet an HD capture card with component breakout cables could do it right off of an HD set top box from a cable or DBS provider.

But I agree with you. Just DRM the stream and be done with it. As it stands right now I can setup a man in the middle proxy server and pull the stream as it is being played back (even on a stock iPad). So THAT is the hole in the system.... NOT whether or not an iPad is jailbroken. Jailbroken or NOT, an intelligent smart switch or web proxy doesn't care. They need to protect the stream at the lowest OSI layer possible... not at the top application layer!

And yes I was using the version trickery before 1.3.9 was patched. A little bit of a workaround but it was fun reverse engineering it. And hey while working on that is when I found out how the streams are delivered, how you can redirect them off network, etc.. Stuff I NEVER EVER would of even thought to look into if the app wasn't "jailbreak protected" in the first place. Nor will I share or publish this information because all that would do is make the situation worse.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#243 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

But does it not come with conditions? It is still their product they allow anyone that follows the terms to use.

I would probably let you borrow my truck to go to the hospital or to work for free but if I asked you not to go out drinking with it I should be able to take it back.

The issue is they are doing this out of ignorance. They are worried about the neighbor who borrows the truck when the real worry should be the car jacker standing on the corner right in front of them. This is like fearing Big Foot when walking through the forest when a mountain lion is lurking behind you.

The threat is not the JB, the threat are hackers whom can hack a stream without the device being JB.

#244 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Tsk Tsk. I need a break as well. :eek2: It was simply a comment on an oft repeated fallacy. I'm just as skeptical when people constantly connect JB & Piracy and insinuate that most who JB do it for the free software. I don't root my Android phone for free software either. Sure, lots of people steal software, but unfortunately nothing anyone does will ever stop it whether it be 99cent IOS software or $999 computer software.

Speaking of piracy, I'd love to see the music files on the hard drives of all the folks who are so "high and mighty" about software piracy. Oh wait, I forgot, that's different, it's only music. And no, before you say I'm accusing you of stealing music, I'm not. It's just a generalization.

Obviously we can go in circles about this all day and I don't feel the need to do that. I have better things to do. All I was asking for is some stats on how many use Cydia vs how many jailbreak to pirate software. I guess those stats would be difficult to get anyway because anyone who steals software would probably not admit it in public.

Oh, and all of the music on my hard drive is purchased thank you very much.

#245 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Every one of my friends who JB do it for free stuff. I don't really care who pirates media.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#246 OFFLINE   ajiuO

ajiuO

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Mainly it allows you to add custom ROMs. Since it is open source devs have access to the source code and they can add/modify it to make it better. It also allows you to remove the "provider bloat" apps that are worthless crap. Some manufacturers do lock you out of doing this by encrypting access to the bootloader but are now beginning to allow access but at the cost of signing away your warranty rights.

Sounds a lot more complicated then IOS. When you say custom rom. I assume you mean that you are flashing the boot rom... Not sure how that helps the os and also sounds like you would have to reflash it if you wanted to get rid of the rootingn. Apple does not let providers install anything on the phone and while it's not open the os can still be made better via extensions and tweaks.... And everything can be undone by restoring your phone.

#247 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Every one of my friends who JB do it for free stuff. I don't really care who pirates media.

Everyone of my friends, including myself, JB to tweak the phone more to our liking and does not do it to get free stuff.

Edited by DodgerKing, 01 March 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#248 OFFLINE   ajiuO

ajiuO

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

I get a lot of free stuff from cydia... But none of it is ilegal. SBsetting is free... And a must have.

#249 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Sounds a lot more complicated then IOS. When you say custom rom. I assume you mean that you are flashing the boot rom... Not sure how that helps the os and also sounds like you would have to reflash it if you wanted to get rid of the rootingn. Apple does not let providers install anything on the phone and while it's not open the os can still be made better via extensions and tweaks.... And everything can be undone by restoring your phone.

It's really very simple. I own(ed) jailbroken IOS devices (iPhone & iPad 2) and rooted Android devices (Samsung tablet & Galaxy Nexus phone) and it's basically the same thing. Rooting gives you access to the low level OS as does JB. You simply download a ROM (basically the entire O/S with mods in 1 zip package) and load it through a utility. Takes under 2 minutes.

#250 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I get a lot of free stuff from cydia... But none of it is ilegal. SBsetting is free... And a must have.

So do I, but I do not think that is what he meant. I interpreted his post as saying they get free iTunes APPs that they would normally have to pay for, or free service that they would normally have to pay for.

#251 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

So do I, but I do not think that is what he meant. I interpreted his post as saying they get free iTunes APPs that they would normally have to pay for, or free service that they would normally have to pay for.

They like free apps that are like paid apps...I don't know if they're getting iTunes apps for free. I'm not an iUser so I'm not sure about it all.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#252 ONLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Sounds a lot more complicated then IOS. When you say custom rom. I assume you mean that you are flashing the boot rom...

rooting and flashing a custom recovery is as easy as jailbreaking an iOS device. Flashing a new OS increases your effort a bit, but isn't complicated at all.

Backup apps will even run to restore all of your apps and settings for you.

Rooting, Roming and restoring the apps on my Thunderbolt took 30 minutes. I rooted my wife's Incredible and froze all of her crap apps in 5.

#253 ONLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Pirated apps isn't your intent with jailbreaking, but I know a number of people that do it for just that reason.

#254 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

So you jailbreak you iPad so you can get apps that you cannot get otherwise(or other reasons), you make a choice to do that knowing that there will then be apps that you cannot get.

It really sounds like you need to decide what is more important and be happy with that decision. Remember it's a choice you made.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#255 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

So you jailbreak you iPad so you can get apps that you cannot get otherwise(or other reasons), you make a choice to do that knowing that there will then be apps that you cannot get.

It really sounds like you need to decide what is more important and be happy with that decision. Remember it's a choice you made.

No one is denying it is a choice. No one is denying that DirecTV has the right to restrict the use of their APP. No one is denying that there are costs and benefits to JB and not JB.

What we are arguing is the reasons for DirecTV restricting their APP is based in ignorance and unfounded fear.

What we are arguing is that they are fighting a losing battle.

What we are arguing is that given all of this there is really no justified reason for them to restrict their APP, other than fear of something they know nothing about; or other than the fact that they can.

Think about it. Every argument on DirecTVs side of this has been one of the following:

1. It is their APP they can do so if they want
2. JB can steal their stream
3. JB do so in order to get free stuff

#256 OFFLINE   ajiuO

ajiuO

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

No one is denying it is a choice. No one is denying that DirecTV has the right to restrict the use of their APP. No one is denying that there are costs and benefits to JB and not JB.

What we are arguing is the reasons for DirecTV restricting their APP is based in ignorance and unfounded fear.

What we are arguing is that given all of this there is really no justified reason for them to restrict their APP, other than fear of something they know nothing about; or other than the fact that they can.

Think about it. Every argument on DirecTVs side of this has been one of the following:

The funniest thing about it is that directv isn't concentrating on protecting the actual streem.. Instead they are fighting it in a way that gives then no legal recourse... It's not ilegal to hide the fact that your device is jailbroken... They are waisting their time.... Encrypt... It's the only way to fly.

#257 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

You make it seem like there is an official DIRECTV statement on this. If so, I'd like to see it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#258 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Actually as I have stated earlier in this thread, these are the reasons: (NOTE: This is still not official from DirecTV. Just what I have been able to gather.)

1. The content on the app IS protected via DRM.
2. This app isn't just one provider. DirecTV licenses the content from SEVERAL providers and they don't all have the same rules thus a lock must be placed on the entire app.
3. Just because the good people here at DBSTalk do not steal content doesn't mean other jail breakers are NOT doing it.

#259 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

You make it seem like there is an official DIRECTV statement on this. If so, I'd like to see it.

Arguments of those posters on this site on the DirecTVs side of the argument. Not the argument from DirecTV itself.

#260 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Actually as I have stated earlier in this thread, these are the reasons: (NOTE: This is still not official from DirecTV. Just what I have been able to gather.)

1. The content on the app IS protected via DRM.

JB is not relevant to this

2. This app isn't just one provider. DirecTV licenses the content from SEVERAL providers and they don't all have the same rules thus a lock must be placed on the entire app.

What is the relevance to JB?

3. Just because the good people here at DBSTalk do not steal content doesn't mean other jail breakers are NOT doing it.

Again, JB is not relevant. One does not need to JB in order to steal. Protecting against JB does absolutely nothing to protect theft of their stream. They are fighting the wrong battle and will lose ever single time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...