Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Since they obviously see the JB The app should be smart enough to just not allow streaming. I would not have taken the update had I known it would disable the app entirely.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

Personally I haven't jailbroken, and I probably won't. If it were just me, I might. Or if I had an extra device, I might. But I already participate in a number of other betas, and I don't really want to worry about the stability of my phone. The reason I have iOS devices is that I don't want to spend any more of my spare time on tech support.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

Personally I haven't jailbroken, and I probably won't. If it were just me, I might. Or if I had an extra device, I might. But I already participate in a number of other betas, and I don't really want to worry about the stability of my phone. The reason I have iOS devices is that I don't want to spend any more of my spare time on tech support.

Well, I have had 3 iPhones over the years (don't currently have one now) and a iPad 2 (just got it) and all have been jailbroken 5 minutes out of the box and I never had the slightest semblance if INstability. Never a reboot, crash or anything else.

Not wanting to do it is perfectly understandable but don't believe all the "instability" hype you may read.

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

It's not about hype, it's about an incredible tendency to break things that other people can't break. It's what makes me a good tester.

#25 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Yep, just like some people will walk in to a store and put the things that they want in their pocket instead of a cart some people will download HD rips.

Not even the same thing. Lets not generalize and call someone hoe JB their phone a thief.

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

As I said in post 1, this isn't about people who exercise their legal rights.

#27 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

Then you don't even understand the basics of JB a phone your iOS device.
It's not just Tech Geeks, its everyday people, just wanting something that Apple won't offer for millions of unexplained reason. Some things very basic. Some for other stuff, legal or ethical or not.

It's nothing beta about it. I can tell you JB works better than almost any function besides basic DVR stuff that D* has done, beta or not. My D* DVRs give me more bus, issues, instability and headaches than a JB has EVER done. Line Boxee and XMBC are more reliable than Media Share and MVR IMO many times. Only available via a JB.

So it's nice to see that you don't make comments or judgements on JB as you don't understand even the most basic concept of it. That's fine, because a lot of people don't. Until they are informed and realize its NOTHING and very reliable and LEGAL!

#28 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

I have not tried to JB my iPad or iPhone, but I have rooted my Android phone (don't ask why I have an iPhone AND a Droid). In rooting my phone I gained several things - I am now running Gingerbread on a phone that officially supports Froyo, I am running HTC Sense 3.0, and I get double the battery life I got with the stock Verizon ROM. However, I also gave up access to the Verizon account management app and a few other conveniences. Do I complain about Verizon's lack of support for my hardware? No...if I want their apps to run, I can go back to the officially supported environment. I made the choice to root my device and I decided to flash it with a different ROM. Verizon made the choice to not release installable versions of "My Verizon".

The point is that we have the right to do what we want with our hardware. But DirecTV also has the right to do what they want with their software. You don't like what they did? Don't use it. That's all there is to it.

Verizon won't support a ROOTED device like you said. Apple/AT&T/Verizon and Sprint WILL support a JB iOS device. Big difference. So its not Apples to Apples.

Also AT&T has NEVER denied the use of ANY of their Official Apps on a JB iOS device. All there apps including UVERSE are supported fully!

Jailbreaking is NOT rooting or adding a custom ROM to your device. Hell, I had a custom ROM on my Motorola Razr V2 yrs ago and AT&T helped me I had an issue and warranty problems.

Edited by gio12, 28 October 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

In fact you can't even pirate apps out of the box from a Jailbreak. You have to know the right patches and programs and sources to get free apps. It's NOT included.

Correct, but don't confuse people with the facts. To do this, you MUST add an a UNAPPROVED source/repositories that CYDIA and the JB community WR YOU is illegal and could be harmful to your device. because Cydia is a open source system, illegal activity is allowed, but discouraged.

#30 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Correct, but don't confuse people with the facts. To do this, you MUST add an a UNAPPROVED source/repositories that CYDIA and the JB community WR YOU is illegal and could be harmful to your device. because Cydia is a open source system, illegal activity is allowed, but discouraged.

Right. Just pointing out that directly out of the box, you cannot use jailbreaking for piracy. There are a few additional steps to take.

Therefore Jailbreaking does not equal piracy... I don't know why some people think that is the number 1 reason to jailbreak.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#31 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

I jailbroke my iPhone a while back. It was fun to tinker with it but I did run into problems such as battery issues and stuff. After a while, I reverted back.

I know you guys claim that you run into zero problem and jailbreak your phones right out of the box. What I don't understand is if you immediately jailbreak your phones, how do you know they are working like they should if you never experience them in an un-jailbroken state?

All I'm saying is that claiming zero problems is a bit much. Heck, I even have problems when my phone is un-jailbroken.

#32 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Not even the same thing. Lets not generalize and call someone hoe JB their phone a thief.

Uh, you quoted my post. It says right in the part that you quoted. I compared downloading HD rips with shoplifting, not jailbreaking.

#33 OFFLINE   Smidgerine

Smidgerine

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Jailbreaking IOS brings some good tweaks to iphones and ipads. Some ones I like are:

SBSettings - Swipe at the top for a slide down menu with easy toggles for brightness, wifi, airplane mode, bluetooth, show running processes, app shortcuts, etc...

Deep End - Tweak that slightly shifts the background based on device position (uses accelerometer and gyroscope) Icons stay put but when you rotate the device it almost looks 3D because their shadows and background shift so slightly

FlashLock - On an iphone, double tap the home button on the lock screen and a button will appear to turn on the flash. Makes a great flashlight.

Speed Intensifier - Tweak all of Apples animation effects to speed them up and get in/out of programs faster. I love the animation effects Apple put into the OS, it's great visual feedback... however the ability to slightly speed it up makes it feel even quicker.

MyVolume - specify apps to change the volume to a default level, or tweak the volume buttons on the device. Ever have your phone in silent and go to watch a YouTube video. Bam, your blasted by volume because the silent mode only affects ring and text tones. MyVolume can sense if YouTube is open and start at 1 bar if you want.

Activator - You can add a shortcut to an application or an action based on a button press or certain screen swipe, or combination of things. Great way for shortcuts!

Barrel - Adds a plethora of Compiz fusion style animation effects when paging between screens of icons.

iBlacklist - Firewall style call and SMS filtering. Amazing flexibility since the carriers can't block specific numbers.

MyWi - Bluetooth or wifi tethering from phone to any bluetooth or wifi enabled device(s).

There's also tweaks for a 5 icon dock at the bottom, different themes and stuff like iFile and Terminal let you access the device. There's ways to share files via SSH or even install a built in webserver. It's just amazing the flexibility you get.

There's plugins to add information to your lock screen, reply to an SMS without leaving the current application and more. Jailbreaking is not about Piracy. It's about taking control of your device and adding the features you want. In fact you can't even pirate apps out of the box from a Jailbreak. You have to know the right patches and programs and sources to get free apps. It's NOT included.

Will DirecTV for Ipad always be easy to patch? Maybe not. I'm sure this will be a cat and mouse game. While today it's a simple toggle in a config file... I bet they made it that way on purpose to test their JB detection routines. That way if they made a mistake, they could just get past that in the lab. Maybe when they are confidant their JB detection works to their standards and there are no false positives, they will bake it right into the application binary turned on just like the Nomad app. There's no patch for Nomad yet, likely because not enough people have it.

I still think one of the best apps is XBMC. I put all my Blu-Rays on my NAS and just stream the MKVs. Sure wish my upload bandwidth on cable could handle that outside the house. xcellent! I also like the emulators. Now, I do realize that you can get all of the ROMS and that is obviously piracy. However, if you own the old games, I don't have a problem with that. And my stash of video games and systems from the Atari 2600 to now is staggering!
2 HR20s
2 HR24s
1 H21
SWM-16
Epson Home Cinema 8500 UB
Epson Home Cinema 8350
2 Epson Home Cinema 400
Panasonic AX200-U
Toshiba Regza 55" 1080p LCD
AntennasDirect DB-8

#34 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

"iBlacklist - Firewall style call and SMS filtering. Amazing flexibility since the carriers can't block specific numbers."

Verizon can block 5 numbers through a web-based function.

#35 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

Smidgerine, do you put all your Blu-rays on a NAS or just the ones that you have the contractual right to reproduce? ;)

#36 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

"iBlacklist - Firewall style call and SMS filtering. Amazing flexibility since the carriers can't block specific numbers."

Verizon can block 5 numbers through a web-based function.

AT&T told us they can't block anything.

I can block an unlimited list of numbers, area codes or even create an allow only list. You can password protect it too which helps keep kids safe if need be. Blocked callers can be sent to VM right away, or get a fast busy, or accept and hangup.

Though that's just one app.

XBMC sounds awesome too. Might have to try that.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#37 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Serious question, not a shot.

When people Jailbreak their phone with something they downloaded off the web, how do they know what exactly is being done? I'm not an iOS expert and can't get into the deep down code. So when one JB's the phone, can you be 100% sure something else isn't being introduced into your phone? Example: Maybe a key logger for passwords?

I know there are many benevolent coders out there but I'm also sure some aren't.

#38 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Verizon won't support a ROOTED device like you said. Apple/AT&T/Verizon and Sprint WILL support a JB iOS device. Big difference. So its not Apples to Apples.

Also AT&T has NEVER denied the use of ANY of their Official Apps on a JB iOS device. All there apps including UVERSE are supported fully!

Jailbreaking is NOT rooting or adding a custom ROM to your device. Hell, I had a custom ROM on my Motorola Razr V2 yrs ago and AT&T helped me I had an issue and warranty problems.

No, it's Apples to Droids. :)

Support of a JB iPhone by AT&T is irrelevant. People here have said "it's my hardware and I can do what I want with it." True.

What is also true is that it is DirecTV's software and they can do what they want with it. If you don't like the restrictions they set forth, don't use their software.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#39 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

I jailbroke my iPhone a while back. It was fun to tinker with it but I did run into problems such as battery issues and stuff. After a while, I reverted back.

I know you guys claim that you run into zero problem and jailbreak your phones right out of the box. What I don't understand is if you immediately jailbreak your phones, how do you know they are working like they should if you never experience them in an un-jailbroken state?

All I'm saying is that claiming zero problems is a bit much. Heck, I even have problems when my phone is un-jailbroken.

Since they day I owned my first iPod Touch the day they came out years ago, to getting my first iPhone last year, I JB basically out of the box. How do I know? Because I have upgraded OS' at times early or on purpose and then had t wait for the JB to come. So I can tell you, either way, I have had ZERO problems. Yes, some times the Springboard will crash on a JB phone, but that's very rare for me. Zo I will claim zero problems, because that happens on a non-JB too. JB will NOT cause battery issues. Loading apps or preferences that drain your battery will. That's a fact. Can JB cause problems? Sure, I messed up my iPod Touch once with too many conflicting apps and it just got funky. Removed one app and it was butter!

I bricked my iPhone during an update because the I messed up the process. My iMac would them not get the phone in DFU mode. I went to Apple and they restored it. But they upgraded the OS and left my without a JB of 2 months at one point. The issues with my iMac not restoring the phone was a Mac issue, not a JB thing. I booted under windows once while it happened on my wife's phone after messing the JB up once, and it worked. But not under my Mac, until I cleared the cache and stuff up. Both time I messed up the JB process. But using the JB website way way fool proof.

#40 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

No, it's Apples to Droids. :)

Support of a JB iPhone by AT&T is irrelevant. People here have said "it's my hardware and I can do what I want with it." True.

What is also true is that it is DirecTV's software and they can do what they want with it. If you don't like the restrictions they set forth, don't use their software.

No it's not. You said VZW won't support a rooted Aroid phone, so why should D*. I said AT&T will support a JB and let you run there apps.

AT&T won't restrict you on, VZW and DIRECTV do.

Then D* should have made the app form DAY 1 incompatible with a JB iOS.

My point is it's STUPID not to support a JB and a fix will be found within a day, anytime they try. Why fight it with money and resources when you will lose in the end. There really is no harm in reality. sorry.

spam firewall