Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

Serious question, not a shot.

When people Jailbreak their phone with something they downloaded off the web, how do they know what exactly is being done? I'm not an iOS expert and can't get into the deep down code. So when one JB's the phone, can you be 100% sure something else isn't being introduced into your phone? Example: Maybe a key logger for passwords?

I know there are many benevolent coders out there but I'm also sure some aren't.

You don't. You have to TRUST your source. Same thing with Android in any form, including stock. Many Apps in Android market place have been malware, virus, etc. That's open source for you!

I never had had an issue with the JB community. I am also the guy who doe snOT get viruses, etc on his PC, ever.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Then D* should have made the app form DAY 1 incompatible with a JB iOS.

D* did make the app incompatible with jailbroken devices from day 1. Of streaming. The scope of what the app does has changed and so have the rules that D* has to live by.

My point is it's STUPID not to support a JB and a fix will be found within a day, anytime they try. Why fight it with money and resources when you will lose in the end. There really is no harm in reality. sorry.

D* meets their obligation to their partners by blocking jailbreak devices. Even though the hacking community can fix it in no time, D* did their part. It takes seconds, literally seconds to make an app do a jailbreak test when it runs. The time and resources involved with one developer writing one little bitty bit of code isn't keeping anyone up at night.

The number of D* customers that will seek a solution to the blocking is a tiny, tiny fraction of users. I doubt that D* really cares about the few that will actually do it.

#43 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

D* did make the app incompatible with jailbroken devices from day 1. Of streaming. The scope of what the app does has changed and so have the rules that D* has to live by.

D* meets their obligation to their partners by blocking jailbreak devices. Even though the hacking community can fix it in no time, D* did their part. It takes seconds, literally seconds to make an app do a jailbreak test when it runs. The time and resources involved with one developer writing one little bitty bit of code isn't keeping anyone up at night.

The number of D* customers that will seek a solution to the blocking is a tiny, tiny fraction of users. I doubt that D* really cares about the few that will actually do it.

This is a pretty big assumption by you here. no one will know the real answer to this less they are the ones involved in the contract talks themselves or spoke to the ppl that did personally.
I can't see regular programing stations requiring them to block jailbroken devices while the major film studios allow Netflix to stream and SUPPORT fully rooted android devices now.

I think its more along the lines that the provider req's it be secure and DIRECTV couldn't get their encryption method up to snuff in time and in turn just decided to release it but block jailbroken devices till they figure out a way to do it like netflix does.
Just my personal thought, as i still can't see regular program providers having bigger issue with streaming than major film studios.

#44 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

dont think the number really matters all that much. If so then your telling me that there are wayyyy more Netflix subscribers that are running CM7 ROM on their android device than there are DIRECTV subs with jailbroken devices.....
Just saying b/c till last update CM7 users were not supported by Netflix, and they went out of their way to fix that.

#45 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

First you say this:

So I can tell you, either way, I have had ZERO problems.

And then you say this:

Yes, some times the Springboard will crash on a JB phone, but that's very rare for me.

Can JB cause problems? Sure, I messed up my iPod Touch once with too many conflicting apps and it just got funky. Removed one app and it was butter!

I bricked my iPhone during an update because the I messed up the process.

Which will it be? There is no such thing as ZERO problems. Considering what you have written here however, it seems you tend to introduce issues once you jailbreak. The action of jailbreaking MAY not cause problems, but what comes after apparently does.

Oh, and I never said that jailbreaking caused battery issues. I only said I started having them.

#46 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

I think its more along the lines that the provider req's it be secure and DIRECTV couldn't get their encryption method up to snuff in time and in turn just decided to release it but block jailbroken devices till they figure out a way to do it like netflix does.
Just my personal thought, as i still can't see regular program providers having bigger issue with streaming than major film studios.

You say I made a big assumption in stating that D* was meeting its obligation to its partners, then you turn right around and make my point.

DirecTV has an obligation to take steps to protect the content. They could use encryption like Netflix and HBO or block jailbroken devices. Easy.

It's not an assumption to say that D* has an obligation to protect the content that they stream over the Internet, and it's no assumption to say that D* blocks jailbreak devices as part of that obligation.

#47 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

dont think the number really matters all that much. If so then your telling me that there are wayyyy more Netflix subscribers that are running CM7 ROM on their android device than there are DIRECTV subs with jailbroken devices.....
Just saying b/c till last update CM7 users were not supported by Netflix, and they went out of their way to fix that.

Have you ever run Netflix on a Cyanogen ROM? From the way that you keep posting "CM7 users were not supported by Netflix" I'm betting that you haven't. I have. Netflix didn't just start supporting Cyanogen in the last release, they fixed an incompatibility of some sort. I ran Cyanogen and Netflix for a bit earlier this year before I bought my Thunderbolt. It worked fine.

Netflix support for Cyanogen IS NOT new, and the Netflix app runs on an awful lot of custom ROMs.

#48 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

Have you ever run Netflix on a Cyanogen ROM? From the way that you keep posting "CM7 users were not supported by Netflix" I'm betting that you haven't. I have. Netflix didn't just start supporting Cyanogen in the last release, they fixed an incompatibility of some sort. I ran Cyanogen and Netflix for a bit earlier this year before I bought my Thunderbolt. It worked fine.

Netflix support for Cyanogen IS NOT new, and the Netflix app runs on an awful lot of custom ROMs.

your missing the point though. They made personal note to go out of their way and fix a bug that was solely associated with CM7 ROMs. Which is about as far form official OS carrier provider builds as you can get, and only get on rooted devices. Earlier you had to modify the build.prop to get netflix to work on cm7 roms. now thats not the case at all.
They could of easily left them hurting b/c its a ROM on rooted phone but they went the other direction.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter, 28 October 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

You say I made a big assumption in stating that D* was meeting its obligation to its partners, then you turn right around and make my point.

DirecTV has an obligation to take steps to protect the content. They could use encryption like Netflix and HBO or block jailbroken devices. Easy.

It's not an assumption to say that D* has an obligation to protect the content that they stream over the Internet, and it's no assumption to say that D* blocks jailbreak devices as part of that obligation.

yeah again we both mean the same thing but stating it differently. I just dont buy the talk that they require DIRECTV to block jailbroken devices. I do buy that they req them to make the content secure but that does not have to mean they block jailbroken devices in order to meet it.

I just read you saying "they meet their obligation by blocking jailbroken devices," as in the obligations were to block jailbroken devices. but thats not what you ment really as its just one of the "options" to meet the obligations and so happens to be the one they picked.

again were on the same page here, just stating it differently.

really think in the end itll be like netflix at some point....

#50 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

They could of easily left them hurting b/c its a ROM on rooted phone but they went the other direction.

CM7 is THE custom ROM to have if you root and has a very sizeable user base. Netflix almost had no choice but to fix that bug.

And it isn't the first time they have fixed bugs for rooted users. When I was on a GPA ROM there was an issue with video stuttering. Netflix "fixed some issues for rooted users" then too.

#51 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

yeah again we both mean the same thing but stating it differently. I just dont buy the talk that they require DIRECTV to block jailbroken devices. I do buy that they req them to make the content secure but that does not have to mean they block jailbroken devices in order to meet it.

But D is required to do SOMETHING. Netflix is in business to stream. D isn't. HBO is now in the business of streaming. D isn't. Makes sense for Netflix and HBO to have their encryption in place. D? Well, they blocked jailbreakers.

#52 OFFLINE   Smidgerine

Smidgerine

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

Smidgerine, do you put all your Blu-rays on a NAS or just the ones that you have the contractual right to reproduce? ;)

:lol: True. They are my backup copies. :D

Seriously, though, it is just easier to do this for archives and then run ps3 media server to my 2 ps3s or computers/laptops/tablets. I don't have optical drives in everything, so this does the job and I don't have to worry about my Weimaraner eating left out discs...which she does do!
2 HR20s
2 HR24s
1 H21
SWM-16
Epson Home Cinema 8500 UB
Epson Home Cinema 8350
2 Epson Home Cinema 400
Panasonic AX200-U
Toshiba Regza 55" 1080p LCD
AntennasDirect DB-8

#53 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

CM7 is THE custom ROM to have if you root and has a very sizeable user base. Netflix almost had no choice but to fix that bug.

And it isn't the first time they have fixed bugs for rooted users. When I was on a GPA ROM there was an issue with video stuttering. Netflix "fixed some issues for rooted users" then too.

There are more directv jailbroken users than cm7 netflix subs I bet. So if netflix had to fix to support them then you'd think directv would too...

End of discussion should be DIRECTV is hopefully in process for adapting a method like netflix uses so it doesn't have to block the jailbroken iPhone ppl.
Hopefully by the time the android version comes out they have it figured out. Lol :)

#54 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

But D is required to do SOMETHING. Netflix is in business to stream. D isn't. HBO is now in the business of streaming. D isn't. Makes sense for Netflix and HBO to have their encryption in place. D? Well, they blocked jailbreakers.

They are getting into the business of streaming though. I agree that's all netflix has and they have more motive but DIRECTV isn't going to go in on streaming half effort. Over time I see them adopting other method than blocking devices.

#55 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:20 AM

Sorry Charlie! The app was worked fine, until the update form streaming. From day 1 it should have been blocked.

Yes, I know the code was a 1 word thing. But if hey want much tougher security measure, it wi take time and money

#56 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

First you say this:

And then you say this:

Which will it be? There is no such thing as ZERO problems. Considering what you have written here however, it seems you tend to introduce issues once you jailbreak. The action of jailbreaking MAY not cause problems, but what comes after apparently does.

Oh, and I never said that jailbreaking caused battery issues. I only said I started having them.

Read what I wrote JB has cause my zero problems. I mean issues not just a springboard crash than happens on a non JB device as well. Maybe I should clarify that. JB has caused no problems that are not experienced on a NON JB phone. IMO, SB crash is NOT a problem and I stand by zero.

Again, what did I write. A JB phone did not cause me issues. The process did twice, using a different Method where I screwed up. Not the JB processes.

Let's be clear. All a JB is a open exploit, that IT! it's apps that cause issues, not a successful jailbreak.

A springboard crashes are caused by APPS not the JB itself.

I hope my point gets across this time. Maybe j am clearer now.

#57 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Which will it be? There is no such thing as ZERO problems. ........... The action of jailbreaking MAY not cause problems, but what comes after apparently does.

As I said earlier I never had a problem with jailbreaking ... zero. Not a reboot or a random respring (at least none t hat I was aware of). Maybe it's because I only use it for 3 or 4 innocuous patches that make the system more tolerable for me.

When I got my iPad 2 off eBay a couple weeks ago I made sure it had 4.3.3 on it before purchasing it. After coming from an Android tablet there was no way I would buy one that I couldn't customize.

That being said, the DirecTV patch on Cydia to allow the app to work, works. Had I known the update will kill the app for JB I would never have done it. I would have preferred not to have to patch the app. The streaming is "neat" but I would have preferred to not lose full functionality of the DirecTV app without warning which was the primary reason I gave up the Samsung Tablet for the iPad to begin with.

#58 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 845 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

Sorry Charlie! The app was worked fine, until the update form streaming. From day 1 it should have been blocked.

Yes, I know the code was a 1 word thing. But if hey want much tougher security measure, it wi take time and money

We are clearly to the point where it has to be said, your opinion on when JB devices should or shouldn't have been blocked was clearly not relevant to DirecTV.

#59 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Smidgerine, do you put all your Blu-rays on a NAS or just the ones that you have the contractual right to reproduce? ;)

I put all of mine that I might ever watch again on a NAS. The legal implications of this are not what the MPAA thinks they are.

#60 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like someone found a way to stream OUTSIDE your network. ;) I am going to try it tomorrow.
EDIT: I can't figure it out. I have no idea. Can't find any info.

Edited by gio12, 01 November 2011 - 07:30 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...