Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

yeah again we both mean the same thing but stating it differently. I just dont buy the talk that they require DIRECTV to block jailbroken devices. I do buy that they req them to make the content secure but that does not have to mean they block jailbroken devices in order to meet it.

But D is required to do SOMETHING. Netflix is in business to stream. D isn't. HBO is now in the business of streaming. D isn't. Makes sense for Netflix and HBO to have their encryption in place. D? Well, they blocked jailbreakers.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Smidgerine

Smidgerine

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

Smidgerine, do you put all your Blu-rays on a NAS or just the ones that you have the contractual right to reproduce? ;)

:lol: True. They are my backup copies. :D

Seriously, though, it is just easier to do this for archives and then run ps3 media server to my 2 ps3s or computers/laptops/tablets. I don't have optical drives in everything, so this does the job and I don't have to worry about my Weimaraner eating left out discs...which she does do!
2 HR20s
2 HR24s
1 H21
SWM-16
Epson Home Cinema 8500 UB
Epson Home Cinema 8350
2 Epson Home Cinema 400
Panasonic AX200-U
Toshiba Regza 55" 1080p LCD
AntennasDirect DB-8

#53 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

CM7 is THE custom ROM to have if you root and has a very sizeable user base. Netflix almost had no choice but to fix that bug.

And it isn't the first time they have fixed bugs for rooted users. When I was on a GPA ROM there was an issue with video stuttering. Netflix "fixed some issues for rooted users" then too.

There are more directv jailbroken users than cm7 netflix subs I bet. So if netflix had to fix to support them then you'd think directv would too...

End of discussion should be DIRECTV is hopefully in process for adapting a method like netflix uses so it doesn't have to block the jailbroken iPhone ppl.
Hopefully by the time the android version comes out they have it figured out. Lol :)

#54 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

But D is required to do SOMETHING. Netflix is in business to stream. D isn't. HBO is now in the business of streaming. D isn't. Makes sense for Netflix and HBO to have their encryption in place. D? Well, they blocked jailbreakers.

They are getting into the business of streaming though. I agree that's all netflix has and they have more motive but DIRECTV isn't going to go in on streaming half effort. Over time I see them adopting other method than blocking devices.

#55 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:20 AM

D* did make the app incompatible with jailbroken devices from day 1. Of streaming. The scope of what the app does has changed and so have the rules that D* has to live by.

D* meets their obligation to their partners by blocking jailbreak devices. Even though the hacking community can fix it in no time, D* did their part. It takes seconds, literally seconds to make an app do a jailbreak test when it runs. The time and resources involved with one developer writing one little bitty bit of code isn't keeping anyone up at night.

The number of D* customers that will seek a solution to the blocking is a tiny, tiny fraction of users. I doubt that D* really cares about the few that will actually do it.

Sorry Charlie! The app was worked fine, until the update form streaming. From day 1 it should have been blocked.

Yes, I know the code was a 1 word thing. But if hey want much tougher security measure, it wi take time and money

#56 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

First you say this:

And then you say this:

Which will it be? There is no such thing as ZERO problems. Considering what you have written here however, it seems you tend to introduce issues once you jailbreak. The action of jailbreaking MAY not cause problems, but what comes after apparently does.

Oh, and I never said that jailbreaking caused battery issues. I only said I started having them.

Read what I wrote JB has cause my zero problems. I mean issues not just a springboard crash than happens on a non JB device as well. Maybe I should clarify that. JB has caused no problems that are not experienced on a NON JB phone. IMO, SB crash is NOT a problem and I stand by zero.

Again, what did I write. A JB phone did not cause me issues. The process did twice, using a different Method where I screwed up. Not the JB processes.

Let's be clear. All a JB is a open exploit, that IT! it's apps that cause issues, not a successful jailbreak.

A springboard crashes are caused by APPS not the JB itself.

I hope my point gets across this time. Maybe j am clearer now.

#57 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Which will it be? There is no such thing as ZERO problems. ........... The action of jailbreaking MAY not cause problems, but what comes after apparently does.

Oh, and I never said that jailbreaking caused battery issues. I only said I started having them.

As I said earlier I never had a problem with jailbreaking ... zero. Not a reboot or a random respring (at least none t hat I was aware of). Maybe it's because I only use it for 3 or 4 innocuous patches that make the system more tolerable for me.

When I got my iPad 2 off eBay a couple weeks ago I made sure it had 4.3.3 on it before purchasing it. After coming from an Android tablet there was no way I would buy one that I couldn't customize.

That being said, the DirecTV patch on Cydia to allow the app to work, works. Had I known the update will kill the app for JB I would never have done it. I would have preferred not to have to patch the app. The streaming is "neat" but I would have preferred to not lose full functionality of the DirecTV app without warning which was the primary reason I gave up the Samsung Tablet for the iPad to begin with.

#58 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

Sorry Charlie! The app was worked fine, until the update form streaming. From day 1 it should have been blocked.

Yes, I know the code was a 1 word thing. But if hey want much tougher security measure, it wi take time and money

We are clearly to the point where it has to be said, your opinion on when JB devices should or shouldn't have been blocked was clearly not relevant to DirecTV.

#59 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Smidgerine, do you put all your Blu-rays on a NAS or just the ones that you have the contractual right to reproduce? ;)

I put all of mine that I might ever watch again on a NAS. The legal implications of this are not what the MPAA thinks they are.

#60 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like someone found a way to stream OUTSIDE your network. ;) I am going to try it tomorrow.
EDIT: I can't figure it out. I have no idea. Can't find any info.

Edited by gio12, 01 November 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#61 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,225 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

To get this thread back on track, remember, all discussion regarding the DirecTV app and jailbreaking is to stay in this thread. Please do not start new threads.

Thanks.

#62 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Back to topic of the app...

1.3.4 - blocked simple jailbreaking by removing the flags in the configuration file

1.3.5 - supposidly blocks more advanced jailbreaking by working around the cydia patch.

Just an FYI to those with JB. Don't update if you can manage at this time.

Still waiting for a low level device driver to intercept JB detection and pass expected (non-jailbroken) results to the apps. This type of patch would cure all apps with JB detection... not just this one.

I wouldn't be opposed to eliminating streaming IF the app detects you are JB. However disabling even the remote control aspect is a d**k move, DirecTV.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#63 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Back to topic of the app...

1.3.4 - blocked simple jailbreaking by removing the flags in the configuration file

1.3.5 - supposidly blocks more advanced jailbreaking by working around the cydia patch.

Just an FYI to those with JB. Don't update if you can manage at this time.

Still waiting for a low level device driver to intercept JB detection and pass expected (non-jailbroken) results to the apps. This type of patch would cure all apps with JB detection... not just this one.

I wouldn't be opposed to eliminating streaming IF the app detects you are JB. However disabling even the remote control aspect is a d**k move, DirecTV.

I'm more shocked they went further to block it in the manner they are using. Why the hell are they not just going the netflix route and encrypt it the same way they do?
Makes no sense why they would go this direction and take the easy way to block it.

I just can't see directv wanting to fight the rooting/JB group. Netflix saw the light and changed/adjusted and so should directv.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter, 16 November 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 37,050 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

It's hard to know what the motivation is... but DIRECTV is known for their straightforward, conservative approach to DRM issues. I know that it was important to them to act quickly to address this, and they did.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

It's hard to know what the motivation is... but DIRECTV is known for their straightforward, conservative approach to DRM issues. I know that it was important to them to act quickly to address this, and they did.

Yeah. I just hope its a temp thing as they work on getting a solution comperable to netflix's.

Too many people to go against and disrupt.

#66 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:25 PM

I'm more shocked they went further to block it in the manner they are using. Why the hell are they not just going the netflix route and encrypt it the same way they do?
Makes no sense why they would go this direction and take the easy way to block it.

I just can't see directv wanting to fight the rooting/JB group. Netflix saw the light and changed/adjusted and so should directv.

Netflix can encrypt the files beforehand. The steaming that the DIRECTV app does would require live encryption on the fly. That is likely more difficult than why Netflix has done.
DogLover

My Setup

#67 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Netflix can encrypt the files beforehand. The steaming that the DIRECTV app does would require live encryption on the fly. That is likely more difficult than why Netflix has done.

Yeah i thought that before but coulda sworn someone said someone does it on the fly and its do able.

#68 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

NDS, the supplier of the conditional access technology used by DirecTV does have solutions in place for secure adaptive internet streaming.

The product is called VideoGuard Connect DRM.
http://www.nds.com/C...rd_Connect_DRM/

They have a whole suite of solutions to get your content "On any Device" Here is that portfolio:
http://www.nds.com/S.../On_Any_Device/

This would be the ultimate solution that benifits both the consumer AND DirecTV. Because the way it stands now, it's going to be an endless game of cat and mouse. I think that's too much burden that DirecTV should have to bear right now. Going forward with a proven solution from a vendor they already partner with sounds to me like the way to get this product back on track.

In the mean time, perhaps they should separate the streaming app from the remote control app. At least maintain the basic functionality we've had since 1.0.0 to program the DVR, browse the guide and change channels from a second, non-interrupting screen.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#69 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 37,050 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Perhaps that would work out. I wonder how much it would cost DIRECTV to license.

#70 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

Perhaps that would work out. I wonder how much it would cost DIRECTV to license.

Ooh, look what I found.

Press release "DirecTV Selects NDS VideoGuard Connect"
http://www.nds.com/M...latform_Pay-TV/

Quote from our friend Romulo
“Our subscribers expect quality content and the best viewing experience from DIRECTV. We will use VideoGuard Connect’s highly secure DRM to ensure content producers and DIRECTV can support consumers’ growing desire for a video experience on multiple screens. VideoGuard Connect is a valuable addition to our portfolio of solutions from NDS”

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#71 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 37,050 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Wow, you're good! Excellent find!

#72 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Unaffiliated with the CG Youth Auxiliary

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Ooh, look what I found...

Not to rain on your parade; more for reference.

http://www.dbstalk.c...353#post2845353

#73 OFFLINE   pacobell21

pacobell21

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi All,

New user here...joined up after I stumbled upon this thread. So as you might guess, I have a jailbroken iPad 2, and I accidentally updated the Directv app to 1.3.5, which doesen't work with the manual fix or the Cydia patch. My question is, would any of you know if there is any way i can get an older version of the Directv for iPad app IPA file (version 1.3.1 - 1.3.3) from anywhere so i can just roll back to an older version of the app? I could care less about the streaming to be honest, I just want to again be able to use the other fuctionalities that were always there. The latest version of the app on my copy of iTunes is 1.2.6 or some such, so I can't go that route, since it would just force me to upgrade anyway upon launching the app. Sigh. Any ideas? I'm really frustrated with this whole situation. Double sigh. :(

#74 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Not to rain on your parade; more for reference.

http://www.dbstalk.c...353#post2845353

Haha thought I remembered reading this before! :)
Wonder why its not being used really, or if it is then why the JB block still.....
Maybe they wanna make sure they get whole app up and perfect before releasing it to the JB phones as no telling if bugs r bc of being JB or not?....total shot in the dark by me to.make sense of it now

#75 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

The app now forces you to update when you launch starting today.

If you block the connection to DirecTV's servers... the app never fully launches. It freezes on waiting for network.

If you try to con 1.3.4 into thinking it's 1.3.5, it will say "An invalid version number detected. Please uninstall and reinstall application."

If you try to mix and match key resources from 1.3.4 and 1.3.5, you get the classic IOS app crash (app launches and disappears right away).

If you try to straight up run 1.3.5, current patches available to the JB community are no longer working.

Looks like DirecTV is almost on the same level playing field as my cable operator. My local cable provider doesn't have an ipad app, and now, to me neither does DirecTV. So what do I get with DirecTV besides an HD GUI and less HD channels? Hmm... an iPad app sure would off been icing on the cake to make me renew next year. Going to have to rethink that harder next fall and see who offers what.

Does anyone know if an Android port is coming out? I've had about enough of Apples dictatorship and wouldn't mind getting an Android tablet.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...