Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App / Jailbreak discussions

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

The app now forces you to update when you launch starting today.

If you block the connection to DirecTV's servers... the app never fully launches. It freezes on waiting for network.

If you try to con 1.3.4 into thinking it's 1.3.5, it will say "An invalid version number detected. Please uninstall and reinstall application."

If you try to mix and match key resources from 1.3.4 and 1.3.5, you get the classic IOS app crash (app launches and disappears right away).

If you try to straight up run 1.3.5, current patches available to the JB community are no longer working.

Looks like DirecTV is almost on the same level playing field as my cable operator. My local cable provider doesn't have an ipad app, and now, to me neither does DirecTV. So what do I get with DirecTV besides an HD GUI and less HD channels? Hmm... an iPad app sure would off been icing on the cake to make me renew next year. Going to have to rethink that harder next fall and see who offers what.

Does anyone know if an Android port is coming out? I've had about enough of Apples dictatorship and wouldn't mind getting an Android tablet.

Me too. Looks like I need to leave to Uverse for sure now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

So I guess we are screwed now, until the JB community comes up with another fix.
Screw You DIRECTV! All i want is the ability to watch a damn show on my iPad or computer at some point. Can't now with a JB iPad nor a Mac running DIRECTV2PC

I don't know how they would release watching on the PC. You have full 100% access to your PC's file system. That's no different than a JB ipad. Heck even on a JB ipad you still have to know how and actually install ifile to access the filesystem and OpenSSH to access it via WinSCP over your wifi network. This stuff isn't for the faint of heart.

Simple stuff like going to jailbreak.me and finding tweaks like InfiniFolders, lock screen notifications and widgets, and stuff like barrel (compiz effects) is easier than trying to figure out what the heck you can do with DirecTV streaming.

I guess I'll just be armed with updated feature-sets next year when it's time to re-evaluate who deserves my hard earned cash. It was DirecTV for sure, but now that they don't have a working ipad app that puts them on the same playing field as my local cable operator. I had no question on sticking with DTV but now at least I'll be doing some research.

Heck even HBOGo works on my iPad. We all know how overly protective HBO is of their content. Heck they turn the 5C flag on copy once at their source. I think they are even one of the companies behind the big push to eliminate HD on analog outputs. Yet they don't feel the need to alienate certain iOS devices. Interesting.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#83 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

I guess I'll just be armed with updated feature-sets next year when it's time to re-evaluate who deserves my hard earned cash. It was DirecTV for sure, but now that they don't have a working ipad app that puts them on the same playing field as my local cable operator. I had no question on sticking with DTV but now at least I'll be doing some research.

Talk about going to cable or Uverse over an iPad app makes me scratch my head.

Apps that block jailbroken devices: (I researched this in September)

1. Time Warner
2. Cablevision
3. DirecTV
4. Bright house
5. Xfinity

Apps that don't offer live streaming on iPad

1. Dish Network
2. Uverse
3. Verizon FiOS

Dish stays on my non-streaming list because anything will stream live tv with a Sling or Vulkano hooked up.

If D* programming doesn't cut it for you, that's one thing. I personally, for me, I would never let a jailbroken iPad stand between me and an app if I really wanted the app. I would undo the jailbreak or find something that did work, but I wouldn't drop D* (or cable if I had that) based on jailbroken devices running remote control apps.

I wanted to use the Google Movie rental in Android Market on my rooted Thunderbolt, but Google blocks rooted devices. I had a choice, unroot to use it, side load a modified app or find an alternative. Though the modified app works, I chose to stick with Netflix. Then came HBO Go and MAX Go.

HBO and Netflix do work on jailbroken iOS devices (and rooted Android devices) because they cook their own encryption. They are both very concerned about protecting the content that they deliver and neither deals with live content. An encrypted file is a bit different than an encrypted live stream.

You gotta do what you gotta do. If D* doesn't work for you, D* doesn't work you.

#84 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Not saying I will def. leave DirecTV because of the Jailbreak thing... I'm just saying it more so levels the playing field. To me they no longer have an iPad app or streaming. Well neither does my Cable company... so touche'. Level grounds. Its a small fraction that makes up the list of Pro's and Con's for each service. Say both providers are VERY good... anything for one to differentiate Service A from Service B whether that's an iPad app, hardware, channels, price, etc... is worth noting.

I thought the iPad app was so cool. I always said, "I'll NEVER go to cable, this is such a nice feature". Take that away and now I'm thinking "When my contract is up, looks like I will have to do some research and see if there's any reason to stay with DirecTV".

Sure HBOGo, MaxGo and Netflix cook up their own encryption. But so can DirecTV. That's the whole point of NDS VideoGuard Connect DRM. Secure content authorization and access DRM across ANY device. DirecTV's own Romulo Pontual was quoted in an NDS press release speaking about signing a deal with NDS for this particular product.

You list other apps that block jailbreaks. Well here's my response to that:

1. Time Warner - Defeatable (patch available in Cydia)
2. Cablevision - Defeatable (.deb file package available for download)
3. DirecTV
4. Bright house - Build on Time Warner app. Same patch works.
5. Xfinity - I have this app and it loads fine. I no longer have XFinity but I can get guide listings and get my email (they kept my email acct open).

Slingbox doesn't block jailbroken devices.

I haven't heard of UVerse or Fios apps being blocked... but I'll have to google that.

Point is, if the DRM isn't fully cooked and they are not using it for whatever reason, then fine. Eliminate the streaming from JB iPads. But don't eliminate the guide, sports pages, DVR programming and playlist viewing. That is all SIMPLE stuff.

As far as current workarounds, yes.. I'm going to try to debug the app process more when I get some time. Maybe I will find a way to fool 1.3.4 in thinking it's up to date, or maybe I will find a way to get 1.3.5 to work. Otherwise I guess waltzremote works as a fine control for now. Paired with a SlingBox, you have all the streaming one could ever ask for. But why have all of these workarounds?

I think DirecTV is taking the wrong approach here. Get with NDS, DRM the streaming OR just hide the whole streaming feature from JB ipads. Don't block the entire app.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#85 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

A point of fact, Dish's iPad app doesn't stream live programming, but it does stream recorded events from their Vip DVRs. I often used to set a recording to start, go to bed and watch the recording in progress.

Not quite 'live' but close enough.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#86 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

A point of fact, Dish's iPad app doesn't stream live programming, but it does stream recorded events from their Vip DVRs. I often used to set a recording to start, go to bed and watch the recording in progress.

Not quite 'live' but close enough.

Oh thats sort of the workaround to get semi-live streaming to DirecTV2PC. Set a recording via the ipad, waltzremote or DirecTV.com... fire up DirecTV2PC and playback said recording already in progress.

I wonder if they will port DirecTV2PC to the iPad? However at this rate it looks like anything they do will be useless unless I win a second iPad and dedicate it solely to DirecTV. God knows I'm not paying for another one of these things.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#87 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

If they ever decide to port DirectTV2PC to the iPad, they'll need much better programmers doing it! My laptop works fine with all sorts of streaming video and conversions, yet the video burps fairly often with direcTV2PC. And the fact that it won't run in a VM on a modern day iMac is pretty damning imo.

The streaming of the video from the HR to the iPad is flawless though.

Edit: Awk!! My bad, the D* iPad software doesn't stream from the HR...

So they have good programmers available, just didn't use them with D*TV2PC! :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#88 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

So I guess we are screwed now, until the JB community comes up with another fix.
Screw You DIRECTV! All i want is the ability to watch a damn show on my iPad or computer at some point. Can't now with a JB iPad nor a Mac running DIRECTV2PC

I just want to use the app for scheduling. They can keep their streaming as I can watch TV in many other ways. They should be able to simply turn off streaming for a JB device or even better keep a "non-streaming" version available as a separate app. Locking you out completely from all the other features other than streaming is dumb.

#89 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

I just want to use the app for scheduling. They can keep their streaming as I can watch TV in many other ways. They should be able to simply turn off streaming for a JB device or even better keep a "non-streaming" version available as a separate app. Locking you out completely from all the other features other than streaming is dumb.

All I can say is email DirecTV. Head over to their website and find the Contact Us link. I sent them my concerns. They won't have any idea this is a problem unless people tell them.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#90 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

They know it's a concern. And I've talked to exactly the right people who make the decisions. I suggested that they create a version of the app that can work on jail broken devices that doesn't stream. They said they would consider it. If that's what you want, tell them.

If you want to stream live tv on jail broken devices, all I can say is you're not going to get anywhere with that, not with the current contracts.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#91 OFFLINE   gjlowe

gjlowe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Such paranoia. What do they think we can do with their video stream on a jailbroken device that can't be done on one that isn't? Besides, it only works inside the network where the receiver is! There are plenty of easier, and more useful ways to illegally obtain content than a Jailbroken iPad app!

#92 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

Such paranoia. What do they think we can do with their video stream on a jailbroken device that can't be done on one that isn't? Besides, it only works inside the network where the receiver is! There are plenty of easier, and more useful ways to illegally obtain content than a Jailbroken iPad app!

It's possible to rip the stream on a jailbroken iPad. It's not easy, but it can be done.

It really doesn't matter how many easy ways there are to obtain content that isn't legal, the content owners and those that control distribution won't allow D* to create another way. Even if it isn't as easy as some other methods.

#93 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

And I've talked to exactly the right people who make the decisions.

Maybe you could mention HBO Go on Roku to these folks......

#94 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

I have no idea how you would rip the stream from a jail broken iPad. All I use it for are tweaks like infinifolders and widgets. Not to mention the tweaks that speed up all animations (it really makes iOS fly).

If they ever expect to bring streaming to the PC (like Netflix, HBOGo, MaxGo, Hulu, etc..) how do they plan to protect that? On a PC you have full access to your hard drive. To me that seems the only difference between jail broken or un jail broken iPad (file system access).

If they are that paranoid and NDS DRM isn't enough, then I would be fine with a version of the app that omitted streaming on the iPad. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#95 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

I have no idea how you would rip the stream from a jail broken iPad.

Well, I'm going to rephrase what I posted. I don't know how to do it either, I've only read about it. It can be done, based on articles written by others.

If they ever expect to bring streaming to the PC (like Netflix, HBOGo, MaxGo, Hulu, etc..) how do they plan to protect that?

You're assuming that D* intends to bring streaming to computers. I'm not up to speed on D* plans, but if they do intend to do it Netflix or HBO Go encryption would have to be in place.

If they are that paranoid and NDS DRM isn't enough, then I would be fine with a version of the app that omitted streaming on the iPad. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It isn't that D* is paranoid, as Stuart said, it's contractual. I really can't see D* having one version of the app and another for the few jailbreakers that excludes streaming.

I only know one iOS developer and I keep meaning to ask him if it is possible to only block certain features of an app if JB is detected, or if it's an all or nothing thing.

#96 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

I only know one iOS developer and I keep meaning to ask him if it is possible to only block certain features of an app if JB is detected, or if it's an all or nothing thing.

The iPhone app doesn't alllow streaming. Just allow that app for the iPad. Simple. Little or no programming needed. Just a "switch" in iTunes.

Besides that, if they can block an App if it detects JB they certainly can block a feature or simply provide the last version of the app that did NOT include streaming. There is nothing that cannot be done if they want to do it.

I'm sure some "genius" out there will find a way around it soon enough anyway.

#97 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

The iPhone app doesn't alllow streaming. Just allow that app for the iPad. Simple. Little or no programming needed. Just a "switch" in iTunes.

That's great, only it doesn't have the remote feature or the visual guide and those are the parts of the app that are in demand.

#98 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Besides that, if they can block an App if it detects JB they certainly can block a feature or simply provide the last version of the app that did NOT include streaming. There is nothing that cannot be done if they want to do it.

So, you're an experienced iOS developer and you're saying that it is trivial to detect jailbreak and only disable certain features?

Or are you saying that you don't have any idea if it's actually possible, but can't imagine it being that hard because the iPad is so easy?

#99 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

You can test for jailbreak and the routine will give you the result of that check that you use to follow the correct branch in your code.

You can use a simple IF statement to skirt around the branch of code that displays the interface for accessing the streaming. Contractual or not, I still remind you of HBOGo, MAXGo, and Netflix as 3 prime examples of apps that contain a lot of valuable assists.... Maybe more valuable than DirecTV, since I didn't see any premiums available for streaming. At least the steaming DirecTV provides contains unstoppable commercial breaks that pay for the content (along with your DirecTV.com login that proves you subscribe).

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#100 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Don't confuse D* with the facts. Personally, I have not seen or heard of an app to copy/steal steaming tv/video on a JB iPad/iPhone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...