Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Discussion/Anticipation thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1780 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   jlangner

jlangner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

So to make sure I understand..If I get a HR-34 and use HD receivers or HD-DVRs in my other rooms and not rvu, do I still have to pay the extra $6 per room in addition to the receiver rental? Or is it one or the other?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

So to make sure I understand..If I get a HR-34 and use HD receivers or HD-DVRs in my other rooms and not rvu, do I still have to pay the extra $6 per room in addition to the receiver rental? Or is it one or the other?

Since all receivers after the HR34 would be H21 or higher, yes, you would pay $6 mirroring fee for those additional receivers.

#183 OFFLINE   jlangner

jlangner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

Ok, so I will still pay what I am paying now..thats fine, I was thinking it was an additional charge.

#184 OFFLINE   cj71

cj71

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

I did several searches and couldn't find the answer, so apologies if this has already been asked.

I have 2 HR20-100. Had them for 5+ years (probably going on 8). One of them is starting to act a little weird. Doesn't work consistently in my whole home setup, can't connect to my iPad app (on directv website says rec id is 0). So thinking about replacing, of course I see this HR34 which looks sweet. I see it won't be available to me until 2012. :( However I'm a patient man and my receivers all record and play back fine, so no urgent replacements needed.

I see the HR34 has the ability to record 5 streams at the same time. Thus not only could I replace by failing HR20, but I could replace both of them and still record 1 more stream then I have currently. My question is when I look at the screen shots I only see one satellite connection. On my old HR20, I have a connection for each stream I have to record, so my 2 HR20 require 4 cables running from my splitter. Can I just hook up one satellite cable coming from my splitter to an HR34 and record 5 shows at once? Or do I need some special hardware between the dish the splitter and the receiver?

#185 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Can I just hook up one satellite cable coming from my splitter to an HR34 and record 5 shows at once? Or do I need some special hardware between the dish the splitter and the receiver?

You'll need either a SWM8 switch or a SWM LNB assembly to connect the HR34.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the HR34 alone provides output for just one TV. If you have more than one, you'll need additional boxes and an HR20 may ulitmately make more sense than a RVU adapter.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#186 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

A SWM setup is required of course. If you're only using one box, the HR34, then a splitter isn't even required for the single coax line from SWM to HR34. One coax carries all 5 tuner inputs (e.g. 8 per SWM16 output).

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#187 OFFLINE   HeadHunterSLC

HeadHunterSLC

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

I'm in a test market and I called ahead to my installer to try to get an 34. He said he can't get one unless its a new install, has 3 or more locations and he doesn't get to pick it out himself, it only is given to him at the warehouse when he picks up his equipment. In one month he has seen 2 and on both installs he said the person had no idea about any of hte equipment, he felt it was wasteful to give them to new subs, as they have no idea what they are getting.

Anyways, so goes my attempt to get one. Though i'm happy with the HR24 and H25 I got.

#188 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'm in a test market and I called ahead to my installer to try to get an 34. He said he can't get one unless its a new install, has 3 or more locations and he doesn't get to pick it out himself, it only is given to him at the warehouse when he picks up his equipment. In one month he has seen 2 and on both installs he said the person had no idea about any of hte equipment, he felt it was wasteful to give them to new subs, as they have no idea what they are getting.

Anyways, so goes my attempt to get one. Though i'm happy with the HR24 and H25 I got.

I can see it as a good thing to give it to the unsuspecting. If the average Joes can use it and be happy then more everyday subs will benefit. We're the geek power users, yes, but DirecTV has more Joes than us dorks.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#189 OFFLINE   millsjq

millsjq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

I do not have a whole house set up, yet. If I could get a HR 34 I could record up to four programs and still watch one channel on my Tv. However, if I had two HR24 (I have one now) networked as a whole house would I am two record more than one channel and still watch one. in other words can I share tuners between the two HR24s? I would have one in my living room an one in the bed room.

#190 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

I do not have a whole house set up, yet. If I could get a HR 34 I could record up to four programs and still watch one channel on my Tv. However, if I had two HR24 (I have one now) networked as a whole house would I am two record more than one channel and still watch one. in other words can I share tuners between the two HR24s? I would have one in my living room an one in the bed room.

With two HR24's, you have a total of four tuners. So you can watch one thing and record 3 at the same time. Or watch two things live and record two things at same time. With WHDVR, you can only remotely watch one thing at time. So you really aren't sharing tuners across the home.

#191 OFFLINE   tgaratx

tgaratx

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

Not sure if I'm the first but I'm getting HR34 installed today. I was hoping for the the HR24 but was surprised when the tech told me he had the HR34. :)

Apparently I'm in an area where they are doing some beta testing?

#192 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

:welcome_s!

Wow! Let us know how it goes!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#193 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Not sure if I'm the first but I'm getting HR34 installed today. I was hoping for the the HR24 but was surprised when the tech told me he had the HR34. :)

Fantastic!
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#194 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'm sure we'll have lots of questions, you being the first non field test box we know about ... :)

Be curious if you can get a glimpse at the bottom of the HR34 as it's being installed ... manufacture date, location, and any sticker with any other information such as hardware level or anything interesting.

Also, how many total boxes are being installed. HR34 and H25s?

You're getting an awesome box.

Thanks!
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#195 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Oh, yeah, baby! What a great first post, and welcome, also!

You may want to look into the CE program as updates to software happen there first, discussions, etc. (It's free, just requires registration on top of what you've already done to join DBSTalk.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#196 OFFLINE   tgaratx

tgaratx

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

Install is complete and went pretty smoothly considering it was raining...have to give kudos to the tech that did the install he was very professional, organized and did a good job.

I now have the HR34 and 2 HR25's with the Premier package. From what I understand it was this combo that enable me to be one of the first. So others wanting a similar setup will want to make sure they request the DVR and a minimum of 2 HD receivers. But don't take my word on this until someone else can confirm.

Looks like the box was manufactured in China on 9/13/11. Model is HR34-700.

#197 OFFLINE   tgaratx

tgaratx

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Oh, yeah, baby! What a great first post, and welcome, also!

You may want to look into the CE program as updates to software happen there first, discussions, etc. (It's free, just requires registration on top of what you've already done to join DBSTalk.)

What is the CE program?

#198 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

What is the CE program?

Congratulations on the HR34.

The CE program is described here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=171

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#199 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, LL.

TG- Unless you really hit the jackpot, your receivers are H25's- still the latest and greatest I know about. (The "R" designates a recorder). And thanks for the reporting!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#200 OFFLINE   tgaratx

tgaratx

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

[quote name='Laxguy']Thanks, LL.

TG- Unless you really hit the jackpot, your receivers are H25's- still the latest and greatest I know about. (The "R" designates a recorder). And thanks for the reporting![/QUOTE

You are correct, they are H25's.

spam firewall