Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Discussion/Anticipation thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1780 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

More than a few people can't wait for the passing of the "piano black" fad.

Absent flash photography and bright lights, no one can see the fingerprints.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Pardon my lousy low-light photography. The HR34 is on the left, HR24 on the right.

glad im not the only one whos wires look like that. way too lazy here to clean it all up in the back. lol

#43 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

glad im not the only one whos wires look like that. way too lazy here to clean it all up in the back. lol

Honestly, I rearrange too much stuff for testing and just general ADD-related tweaking to ever keep it organized very well. I have to keep lots of slack back there for moving things from one place to another on the shelves. Right now I have an HR34, HR24, AV amplifier, PS3, Xbox360 + Kinect sensor, NOMAD and a 4-port ethernet switch all hanging out on the entertainment center. Things have been this way ... for awhile. ;) Might be time to move things around soon.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#44 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Honestly, I rearrange too much stuff for testing and just general ADD-related tweaking to ever keep it organized very well. I have to keep lots of slack back there for moving things from one place to another on the shelves. Right now I have an HR34, HR24, AV amplifier, PS3, Xbox360 + Kinect sensor, NOMAD and a 4-port ethernet switch all hanging out on the entertainment center. Things have been this way ... for awhile. ;) Might be time to move things around soon.

DITTO! I have all that plus a bluray player and the leads for the RF transmitter thats for my Harmony 890pro.
Hell one point i had deca adapter for a seperate deca cloud. seeing as how i have done 99% testing in the living room where gets most use thats also my excuse for the mess i have created and never cleaned up b/c the moment i clean it up all nice, I will move something around and mess it all up again. lol
Gladd im not OCD as id be in a load of trouble here.

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,567 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Absent flash photography and bright lights, no one can see the fingerprints.

Fear not. Brushed nickel is coming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

Then again...not everyone is obsessed with the cosmetic exteriors of their electronics that typically sit in the same place and mostly out of view (other than the front panel.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#47 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Then again...not everyone is obsessed with the cosmetic exteriors of their electronics that typically sit in the same place and mostly out of view (other than the front panel.

True, though the degree to which folks have their A/V equipment positioned out of view does vary, and one can care about cosmetic issues without being obsessed with them.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#48 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

I always liked the finish on the HR21PRO. Too bad that they don't make them in more than one cabinet finish.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#49 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

Man, I feel like I'm so far behind with my H20 and HR20. Still no HD locals = no upgrade for me. :(

#50 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Man, I feel like I'm so far behind with my H20 and HR20. Still no HD locals = no upgrade for me. :(

Half right. HR20 gets the HDGUI. The H20 will not.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#51 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Well, I was referring to hardware upgrade, but yeah, that too :/

#52 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

My biggest problem with this (and DirecTV in general) is how they get away with charging you a "lease fee" up front ON TOP OF a monthly lease fee.

I'd love to get this - but I'm currently testing a Tivo Premiere Elite (2TB HD, four tuners + 1 live stream, THX certified) which I purchased for $499.99 (minus 12% discount - so actually $440). I OWN this unit. It will cost $20/mo or $499.99 for lifetime service of Tivo.

I just can't see justifying $400 for something you have to return if you decide to cancel, move where dish isn't feasible, get tired of nickel and diming, etc.

(DirecTV customer since 2004 btw)

#53 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

I don't see what the big deal is over owned vs. leased equipment. All it means is that every few years when new technology comes out you now have a piece of obsolete equipment that it's up to you to get rid of. I have numerous old receivers such as HR10-250s that are owned sitting around my basement. I tried to get DIRECTV to take them back and dispose of them properly, but since they are owned they wouldn't touch them. They have no street value and can't just be thrown in the garbage, so they become fancy dust collectors.

In reality, I suspect very few people will actually pay $399 for an HR34 except those who have to have the latest technology first. New customers or existing customers who are eligible for equipment upgrades (or willing to wait until they are eligible) should get them for a considerable discount if not for free.

I used to be a big fan of TiVo, but when I look at how much their per unit subscription cost is now, plus what it would cost to have cable cards and service, it quickly becomes more expensive than DIRECTV when you want DVR functionality on every TV.

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,567 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

My biggest problem with this (and DirecTV in general) is how they get away with charging you a "lease fee" up front ON TOP OF a monthly lease fee.

They figure if they didn't charge an entry fee, everyone would expect an HD DVR.

The other option would be to charge more monthly for the advanced equipment like everyone else in the marketplace does.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#55 OFFLINE   Skarzon

Skarzon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

I can't wait for the HR34. I've been contemplating upgrading my old HR20-700 (and various other old receivers), to an MRV and SWiM setup, but I'm going to hold out until I can get one of these beasts as the centerpiece.

#56 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

I don't see what the big deal is over owned vs. leased equipment. All it means is that every few years when new technology comes out you now have a piece of obsolete equipment that it's up to you to get rid of. I have numerous old receivers such as HR10-250s that are owned sitting around my basement. I tried to get DIRECTV to take them back and dispose of them properly, but since they are owned they wouldn't touch them. They have no street value and can't just be thrown in the garbage, so they become fancy dust collectors.

It's just as bad if you lease. When you try to give back your obsolete leased equipment they tell you not to bother. It sits in your house and you really can't sell it because it's not even clear you have any ownership at all. You're afraid to dumpster it in case they change their minds. It's pretty awesome. Not.

In reality, I suspect very few people will actually pay $399 for an HR34 except those who have to have the latest technology first. New customers or existing customers who are eligible for equipment upgrades (or willing to wait until they are eligible) should get them for a considerable discount if not for free.

Agreed. I expect to pay them very little or nothing.

I used to be a big fan of TiVo, but when I look at how much their per unit subscription cost is now, plus what it would cost to have cable cards and service, it quickly becomes more expensive than DIRECTV when you want DVR functionality on every TV.

I tried to justify getting one just for OTA and the internet features. The subscription is half price when you do it that way. It's still overpriced..

#57 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

CEO:

"Starting December, the new graphically rich HD user interface that supports the multiscreen social and interactive experience will be available to our HD customers. And before year end, we'll introduce the highly anticipated Home Media Center, which not only has twice the storage capacity of our traditional HD DVR but also allows customers to record up to 5 shows at once in any room. Another promising future benefit of that product is the ability for customers to access full HD and DVR functionality through the DIRECTV user interface on RVU-compatible televisions, eliminating the need for additional set-top boxes in secondary rooms. "

http://seekingalpha....call-transcript

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#58 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

He said "introduce", not make available. :( I would say technically, it has been introduced.

#59 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

He said "introduce", not make available. :( I would say technically, it has been introduced.

If you read this forum it has, but it hasn't been marketed at all even in the test launch markets. So for all intent and purposes DIRECTV has not introduced it to the market. People who are getting it right now probably have no idea they just got something most of us are foaming at the bit for.

#60 OFFLINE   centil628

centil628

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

New to the forum. Looking at going from dish to directv due to whole house dvr. Talked to directv today, asked which dvr I would receive, they stated the 24, I then said I would wait until the hr34 came out. He stated for me to hold on for a minute, he came back and stated that I would receive the hr34 since I brought it up not the rep. I told him I was not in the test area, he said I would still get the new box. Install is next Wed, if it doesn't arrive with the hr34, I will not allow them to install. Not cancelling dish until after the install of the directv's system.

I guess I will see what happens.

spam firewall