Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Discussion/Anticipation thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1780 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

its not leaking anything the system is out in certain markets and yes the protocols are in place already...just letting you guys know

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

The only question I have for the RVU client end -- can it also do PIP?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#163 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

The only question I have for the RVU client end -- can it also do PIP?

no only from the receiver itself...at this time

Edited by wahooq, 09 November 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#164 OFFLINE   ksalno

ksalno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

If you have to pay a fee to use a RVU client then whats the point? just get another reciver

Agreed. I currently have 4 HR20 and 2 HR24 installed. I use one HR20 in a closet with RF remote control enabled to feed 5 TVs that are in rooms that are lightly used and almost never at the same time. 2 of the TVs use the HDMI and component out connections and they work fine. The other three run through a frequency modulator (where they used to be combined with CATV feed but that is gone) onto on long coax runs to upstairs guest bedrooms. These worked fine until HD. Now the PQ is poor.

I was going to replace the HR20 with 5 HR24s (I have multi-room so these TVs don't need DVR function) but the $30/month for TVs that may not even be used in a month didn't make sense. When I heard about the HR34 I was hoping that would be my solution. Use it to replace the HR20 in the closet and get external RVUs for the 3 TVs upstairs. Now it sounds like that won't save me anything, so rather than wait for the HR34, I may as well just order the HR24s and have them in time for Thanksgiving guests.

#165 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Is the RVU/H24/H25 capable of rewinding live tv/current channel?

#166 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

The work-around using the H receivers is to start a program recording on a DVR then the receiver can immediately start playing the recording via MRV which allows pause & rewind (and FF if there's enough time lapse between when the recording was started and the current state of playback).

You can schedule the recording on the DVR, accessing the DirecTV website with a PC or smart phone, or even a smart phone app that controls the DVR. :)

edit - and I forgot the obvious, you can set up recordings on the DVR9(s) from the receiver(s).

Edited by dettxw, 10 November 2011 - 11:14 AM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#167 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

Your missing the point here. They dont have to be "certified" in order to be shown and stated they are RVU devices. haven't we seen the C30 and HR34/HMC30 well before any certification was done by RVU alliance on them publically at least?.....

If they're trying to establish a standard, the RVU Alliance, like HDMI and other standards organizations, needs to make sure that the name and/or service mark aren't affixed to something that isn't certified or at least pending. The first devices will set the tone for the long term and when the goal is cross-compatibility, strict adherence is an imperative.

The previous trade shows where the HMC and clients have been present have been little more than technology demonstrations but at some point RVU is going to have to be formally introduced to reach beyond the membership of the alliance as a functional standard.

This is much more than DIRECTV pitching some proprietary gobbledygook or bastardized version of some other standard.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#168 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

Is the RVU/H24/H25 capable of rewinding live tv/current channel?

There is no RVU receiver, yet, and no the H2X's are not capable of any trickplay on live tv.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#169 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,140 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Agreed. I currently have 4 HR20 and 2 HR24 installed. I use one HR20 in a closet with RF remote control enabled to feed 5 TVs that are in rooms that are lightly used and almost never at the same time. 2 of the TVs use the HDMI and component out connections and they work fine. The other three run through a frequency modulator (where they used to be combined with CATV feed but that is gone) onto on long coax runs to upstairs guest bedrooms. These worked fine until HD. Now the PQ is poor.

I was going to replace the HR20 with 5 HR24s (I have multi-room so these TVs don't need DVR function) but the $30/month for TVs that may not even be used in a month didn't make sense. When I heard about the HR34 I was hoping that would be my solution. Use it to replace the HR20 in the closet and get external RVUs for the 3 TVs upstairs. Now it sounds like that won't save me anything, so rather than wait for the HR34, I may as well just order the HR24s and have them in time for Thanksgiving guests.

See this thread for a possible solution.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#170 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

There is no RVU receiver, yet, and no the H2X's are not capable of any trickplay on live tv.

But it'd sure be cool to be able to stick a usb drive on em and have em least buffer 2hr of the channel...

#171 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

Cool, but unlikely.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#172 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

But it'd sure be cool to be able to stick a usb drive on em and have em least buffer 2hr of the channel...

That would be cool.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#173 OFFLINE   cthomp21

cthomp21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

IMO, a $6 per room fee for the HR34 for each attached RVU client = FAIL

I could understand up to an additional $18/mo for an HR34 with >= 3 RVU clients attached. But, anything more just doesn't make sense.

Note: I am also assuming a maximum of 3 attached "active" RVU clients with a maximum of 8 "registered" RVU clients.

D* should really just charge some type of "Advanced Receiver Fee" of around $20 which would include a fully functional HR34 (3 active clients, 8 registered clients) and MRV. Let people buy each RVU client outright (around $50) and own them. Or, people can buy RVU enabled TVs or other devices that will work with the HR34.

Just my $0.02

#174 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

Let's stop encouraging DirecTV to charge gigantic monthly fees for the HR34. Some of us want it for the multiple tuners and don't intend to have 3 rooms hooked up at all. If the monthly fee is $18-20, we're no longer customers. I don't see how that's a win either.

#175 OFFLINE   beer_geek

beer_geek

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Let's stop encouraging DirecTV to charge gigantic monthly fees for the HR34. Some of us want it for the multiple tuners and don't intend to have 3 rooms hooked up at all. If the monthly fee is $18-20, we're no longer customers. I don't see how that's a win either.

Agreed. I'd just want it to be just another DVR with a boat load of tuners connected to my non-supported whole house setup.

#176 OFFLINE   cthomp21

cthomp21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

note that I said "fully functional". If you're not using RVU clients, then have DirecTV disable that certain functionality and charge the standard HD-DVR rates. To others such as myself, we want the HR34 for the multiroom functionality. My family can get along with 5 tuners in total, but I need lots of receivers to service all of the TVs in my house.

#177 OFFLINE   Skarzon

Skarzon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

I don't think they are encouraging huge monthly fees for the HR34, just a capped option for those that want to use the HR34 for multi-room setups. If you don't use it like that, then you wouldn't have to pay the multi-room premium.

#178 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

I don't think they are encouraging huge monthly fees for the HR34, just a capped option for those that want to use the HR34 for multi-room setups. If you don't use it like that, then you wouldn't have to pay the multi-room premium.

And that's fine. And I agree, some kind of discount is appropriate given the net cost of the hardware. There has just been some loose language over the course of the discussion around the HR34. There are a lot of us looking forward to it who might never use multiple clients while some of you are looking forward to that feature.

#179 OFFLINE   ksalno

ksalno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

See this thread for a possible solution.

For some reason I can't access this thread via the link. There are apparently some restrictions on my account until I post 5 messages. Maybe that is blocking me. Can you provide a tag or some keywords I can search on to get to it?

Thanks.

#180 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

For some reason I can't access this thread via the link. There are apparently some restrictions on my account until I post 5 messages. Maybe that is blocking me. Can you provide a tag or some keywords I can search on to get to it?

Thanks.

You have to be a member of the Cutting Edge (CE) section of this site to view that thread.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...