Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why no CBS VOD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

I missed couple of programs on CBS last Friday night and hoped to be able to see them via VOD. However, it seems ABC and NBC have VOD channels but not CBS.

Any thoughts on why CBS would not want their shows available on demand?
When news breaks...we fix it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Good question. I know CBS seems to guard their shows more closely then the other networks. I assume some cable providers to do have it. I missed half of a shoe due to a football game throwing times off by 30 minutes (I had forgotten to extend the show recording) and now the only way I can watch the rest is to pay for it on Amazon, even CBS doesn't have it!

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#3 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

Turns out the programs I was interested in were actually pulled and replaced with reruns so that CBS wouldn't burn off first runs against the World Series. But still there's the question why CBS doesn't do VOD.

#4 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

they do not send anything to Hulu and have very little full episodes on tv.com or cbs.com ... I assumed they wanted to protect DVD sales more than the others as the few shows where they have full episodes on line are always the brand new ones with out an established audience or shows like the amazing race where if people can watch an episode they missed they may be MORE likely to watch the next episode when broadcast

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

I just looked at cbs.com and it looks like they have quite a few full episodes of current series.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#6 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

It was reported that getting Fox VoD was part of the recent deal there. So apparently these things are bargaining chips, and it may just be a matter of how long it has been since D*'s last deal with CBS was negotiated.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#7 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

I just looked at cbs.com and it looks like they have quite a few full episodes of current series.

That's great if you want to watch on your computer. I would prefer to download from DirecTV and enjoy in HD.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

It was reported that getting Fox VoD was part of the recent deal there. So apparently these things are bargaining chips, and it may just be a matter of how long it has been since D*'s last deal with CBS was negotiated.

Anyone seeing FOX VOD yet?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

spam firewall