Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

nest thermostat

wireless

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrski57

mrski57

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

anybody have one? what do you think of it?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Is someone trying to sell you one?

#3 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,433 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Is it even out yet?

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Is it even out yet?

No.

#5 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

It is expensive, but I may get one for my parents for x-mas. The idea that they would be able to easily control it from an iPad sitting in their living room would be great for them.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Interesting idea, but in my house, at least in the summer, things seem to go better if I keep the AC at the same temp all the time. Maybe it's partly no cold air returns upstairs, or lack of wall insulation and bad windows.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Y'all sleepin' in trees, or what?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Y'all sleepin' in trees, or what?

SayWhat?

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,494 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Okay, so it's a real thing -- a learning thermostat!

http://www.nest.com/living-with-nest/
http://www.usatoday....view/50917506/1

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

So it isn't a thermostat for a nest?

#11 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

I will be getting a couple when they come out. Programmable thermostats are nice, but if your away from your house for the weekend or have a holiday coming up....they are no better then a regular one. I like the fact they have motion sensors, talk with each other, and are controllable via a phone or computer. Seems like they could easily pay for themselves over a year or two.

PS....lock out code for youngsters, finally.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, I'm all over it as well when released.

#13 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

It wouldn't work here (baseboard heat with line-voltage thermostat). At least I found some programmable models at Lowe's.

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Seems interesting, but too expensive for me. I'll stick to my programmable thermostat. The learning function of the nest sounds interesting, but I think it would just end up being more of a pain in the butt. Once I have my thermostat programmed I don't mess with the programing very often.

Mine has a simple home today button, so if there is a weekday where the heat/air conditioning would normally be turned down from 9 to 5 I can just hit the "Home Today" button and it will treat it like a weekend and keep it on all day.

Mine has vacation hold, so I can just set it at a certain temp and it will keep it at that until I turn off the vacation hold. So in the winter if we are leaving for a few days I just turn it down to around 50 when we leave it it will just keep the house at 50 until we get back and then I turn off vacation hold and it goes back to the normal programming. The only problem with that is the house is really cold when we get back and it takes a few hours to warm back up. The ability to go online from a computer or my phone a few hours before we get home to turn it back on would be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth that much.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

^^ Yeah, that's kind like me. I set it and forget it. No daily up and down. I keep it around 60 all season. Heavy blankets and sweats work just fine for me. Hot chocolate, coffee or cider if I need something extra. Propane ain't cheap any more.

It's amazing what a couple of logs in a wood stove can do though to take the edge off. I've got quite a bit of wood here on the property so that's free. Well maybe not free when you consider chain saw gas and labor, but it's cheaper than propane and electricity.

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Useless for me. Heat on during the night, A/C during the day for several months a year. Until they make one smart enough to switch itself from heater to A/C, Im sticking with my old programmable.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

I never understood that either. You set a temperature, the 'stat should switch internally to either heat or cool to maintain that temp.

#18 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Useless for me. Heat on during the night, A/C during the day for several months a year. Until they make one smart enough to switch itself from heater to A/C, Im sticking with my old programmable.

My systems are run by Amana thermostats that automatically switch back and forth. I have Cool set to 76 and Heat set to 72 and they switch back and forth as needed. Part number 1F95-398 although these are a little over 4 years old.

Edit: Current models.

Edited by klang, 11 November 2011 - 05:30 PM.
more info

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Programmable thermostats are nice, but if your away from your house for the weekend or have a holiday coming up....they are no better then a regular one.

If you plan on being away for a time, you can certainly set any thermostat (programmable or not) to hold at an arbitrary temperature.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

I never understood that either. You set a temperature, the 'stat should switch internally to either heat or cool to maintain that temp.

I'm told that this was a fan speed control issue because the fan is supposed to run faster when the AC is on and how that was achieved varied between manufacturers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...