Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

nest thermostat

wireless

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

There certainly is more they can do in the future, they have hardware in there that's not even used.

I also didn't know that they can target updates. I didn't get 3.0.6 for example because of my wiring configuration so the changes didnt affect my system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

New features include Sun Block where it detects that a measured temperature change is due to sunlight hitting the unit. Advanced fan control to have only the fan on for certain periods. Cool to Dry will turn on the AC even if it is at the target temp if the humidity is too high. It will shut off automatically if the humidity isn't actually lowering.

While the Sun Block is a nice feature, I'd suggest that if your thermostat is located where it is in direct sunlight, it should be relocated.

The Cool to Dry sounds like it was designed to solve the problem where AC contractors install over-sized units in homes. An over-sized unit will cool the house sooner than a right-sized unit, but that shorter cycle typically doesn't leave the unit on long enough to remove the humidity. 

#43 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

All I really need/want is a good programmable thermostat with web access. Unfortunately, most of the ones I have found require a power line from my furnace, which I don't have. The Nest does not.

I have 2 Nest thermostats set up, one of which Nest didn't "advise" me on but I was able to get to work w/out the correct power running from the heater.  You can take an 18-22v power adapter and strip the wires to plug into the Nest.  There are a few Youtube videos out there that really explain this.  When I was on with Nest support because one of mine didn't work they hinted there were other options but they couldn't advise me on them.  I was lucky and found an old power adapter I had laying around that worked fine. 

I have had my original Nest set up for over a year now and the 2nd one for around 9 months without any issues.  Being able to check the temp of the house and adjust the thermostat if needed is great.  I also have used the ability to turn the system "away" when I am gone, you can either do it via the thermostat or if you forget you can do it via the app which I really like.

I saw a few people have asked about pricing, if you look on Amazon and sometimes Lowes you can buy the 1st version of Nest for less than the 2nd version.

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

While the Sun Block is a nice feature, I'd suggest that if your thermostat is located where it is in direct sunlight, it should be relocated.

The Cool to Dry sounds like it was designed to solve the problem where AC contractors install over-sized units in homes. An over-sized unit will cool the house sooner than a right-sized unit, but that shorter cycle typically doesn't leave the unit on long enough to remove the humidity. 

In my house, unless I moved it to the second floor, there is no wall I could put it on that in an inside wall that would not be hit by the sun (other than curtains of course).

#45 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

Good point. People who live in glass houses will really find this feature useful.

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

To me it's kind of like why not. It already has the sensors etc so it might as well do this.

#47 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

I got the 3.5 update yesterday on my Nest. They also updated the iPad and iPhone app as well to reflect the new features.

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Same here. They said everyone would be done by 9pm, at 7:30 I didn't have it, but later that evening, it was there.

#49 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

I have auto programing turned on but ended up doing a lot of the programming myself. Programming was real easy on the iPad app. I just setup 1 day and copy/pasted that over to the other days and changed what I needed. Very cool.

I was actually coming here to bump this old thread to ask everyone what their preference was on this.  My Nest v2 will be here tomorrow and I was just pondering whether or not I'd program it myself or let auto program do it's thing.  My schedule is pretty set, except for my weekends, so I thought programming it myself may be the best bet. 

I was also going to ask what the consensus was on using manual away.  How long does one need to be "away" before it's worthwhile?  Should I go "away" just to go do my grocery shopping, go out to dinner, etc or use it only if I'm going to be gone for longer periods?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#50 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I use auto away in winter when we are at work. I don't use it in the evening, and auto away is disabled at night by default.

Summer is different as its hard to cool this house.

#51 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

I was actually coming here to bump this old thread to ask everyone what their preference was on this.  My Nest v2 will be here tomorrow and I was just pondering whether or not I'd program it myself or let auto program do it's thing.  My schedule is pretty set, except for my weekends, so I thought programming it myself may be the best bet. 

I was also going to ask what the consensus was on using manual away.  How long does one need to be "away" before it's worthwhile?  Should I go "away" just to go do my grocery shopping, go out to dinner, etc or use it only if I'm going to be gone for longer periods?

Well, I can tell you that auto-away kicks in about an hour after you leave the house.

For me, using the away feature (either manual or auto) makes a big difference on consumption.

#52 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

Well, I can tell you that auto-away kicks in about an hour after you leave the house.

For me, using the away feature (either manual or auto) makes a big difference on consumption.

Ok, sounds like I may let auto-away do it's thing.  Most of the time I'm only gone about 30 to 45 mins at a time running errands but other times I may be out 2+ hours for a movie, dinner, etc. 

How sensitive is the motion detection on it?  Mine will be mounted in the hallway leading to my bedroom and I may or may not walk past it every hour.  I guess what I'm asking is if I'm sitting on the couch for 2 hours watching a movie will auto-away kill my A/C because I haven't walked down that hall?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#53 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Ok, sounds like I may let auto-away do it's thing.  Most of the time I'm only gone about 30 to 45 mins at a time running errands but other times I may be out 2+ hours for a movie, dinner, etc. 

How sensitive is the motion detection on it?  Mine will be mounted in the hallway leading to my bedroom and I may or may not walk past it every hour.  I guess what I'm asking is if I'm sitting on the couch for 2 hours watching a movie will auto-away kill my A/C because I haven't walked down that hall?

Yes, that can happen. It has happened to me. When it does, I usually have my iPhone or iPad around me so I simply disable auto-away (the app will ask you if you want to turn it off temporarily since you are there). It has actually saved me energy since I don't realize auto-away is enabled until the house starts getting warm which could be a few hours.

#54 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,498 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

It works so well, I've pretty much forgotten about it.  We were away Friday night and returned mid-morning. . . I should have called home about an hour before we got there.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#55 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys, it was super easy to setup.  Now let's just see what it learns.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#56 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

You'll like it. Since installing it, my energy bills have definitely dropped. I love seeing the Green Leafs and knowing that I am conserving energy each month.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'm already seeing how small changes in temp/time can make big differences in energy usage.  I'm also amazed and how much heavy thunderstorms bring my energy usage, A/C wise, down.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Yes, that can happen. It has happened to me. When it does, I usually have my iPhone or iPad around me so I simply disable auto-away (the app will ask you if you want to turn it off temporarily since you are there). It has actually saved me energy since I don't realize auto-away is enabled until the house starts getting warm which could be a few hours.

I woke up this morning and found a message on my Nest saying that it had learned auto-away.  Since then it's kicked off twice on me today while I was just sitting on the couch watching tv.  lol

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

You see this? Nest advertising claims challenged. They have to back off on some of their claims.

http://www.asrcrevie...d-by-honeywell/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...