Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reno CBS and Chattanooga NBC stations pulled

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

A closely held corporation Sarkes Tarzian, Inc., owns CBS affiliate KTVN in Reno, Nevada, and NBC affiliate WRCB in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Right now they are in a retrans negotiations dispute with Dish.

Broadcasting & Cable reported:

A pair of TV stations owned by Sarkes Tarzian have posted online notices to Dish customers that they may be losing access to the stations at the end of the month due to a failure to negotiate a new carriage deal with the satellite operator. Both sides claim they have offered contract extensions that would keep the stations on subscriber dishes, but that the other side has turned them down.

...Dish sent B&C/Multi a statement with its take on the retrans tussle, including their assertion that Dish did offer a contract extension that Sarkes Tarzian turned down, but it also said it was "hopeful" the two sides could still reach an agreement, though they seemed far apart.

"Sarkes Tarzian is demanding an outrageous price increase of 335% and threatening to block its channels if its demands are not met," said the statement. "It is disingenuous to claim it's pennies more per day. The reality is Sarkes is demanding millions of dollars more beyond what Dish Network pays today to Sarkes over the life of the contract. Their offer would be like demanding $12 for a gallon of milk then saying it's only a penny more per sip. Dish Network has offered an increase in fees to Sarkes but to demand a 335% rate hike is unheard of. In fact, Dish Network offered Sarkes a contract extension while negotiations take place, but they refused to accept it."

According to a Chattanooga news report:

“WRCB and Dish Network are negotiating to provide for continued carriage of WRCB on Dish,” according to a statement from Channel 3. “Unfortunately, we have not yet reached an agreement and Dish is threatening to remove WRCB from its lineup.”

WRCB has given an unconditional extension, allowing Dish Network to continue its content, but it’s unclear if Dish will do that.

“If Dish pulls WRCB it will be because Dish chooses to remove WRCB,” according to a statement from Channel 3.

Edited by phrelin, 31 October 2011 - 04:54 PM.
error on Reno affiliate

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

Actually KTVN is the CBS affiliate where I live in Reno which is upgrading their news set and has been in a temporary studio for the past 2 months possibly getting ready to convert to HD.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,550 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Actually KTVN is the CBS affiliate where I live in Reno which is upgrading their news set and has been in a temporary studio for the past 2 months possibly getting ready to convert to HD.

Oops, my bad. I've corrected the original post but a moderator will have to change the title.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

KTVN keeps running a scroll across their shows saying Dish is refusing to pay "pennies a day" for customers to see their "Great CBS programing and News." The scrolls seem much nastier than those that Fox/NewsCorp was running on FOX channels directed at DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

let 'em go! They'll come crawling back at some point!

#6 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

KTVN Channel 2 News
KTVN and DISH NETWORK are negotiating to provide for continued carriage of KTVN on DISH. Unfortunately, we have not yet reached an agreement, and DISH has removed KTVN from its lineup. KTVN has extended an unconditional extension to DISH to allow your service to continue through the end of November while we continue to negotiate, and that offer remains open. DISH has unilaterally rejected the extension. It is DISH's choice that you no longer have KTVN in your program lineup.
We currently do not know when, or if, KTVN will be restored as part of the DISH program service. In the short term, DISH is free to accept our unconditional extension, and KTVN could be back on the system at once. In the long term, resumption of carriage of KTVN on DISH will require that new contract terms be agreed upon by DISH and KTVN. We are continuing to negotiate and would like to reach a new agreement to carry us forward for the next few years. KTVN is off Dish same with WRCB.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

The easy way to settle all of these is to ban all retransmissions fees for FCC licensees.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,550 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

WRCB in Chattanooga also has the update message reflecting that the station has been taken off of Dish.

Perhaps, a Moderator could retitle this thread with the updated info (and elminate my erroneous reference to NBC).

Edited by phrelin, 02 November 2011 - 02:35 PM.

My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

The easy way to settle all of these is to ban all retransmissions fees for FCC licensees.

Amen. OTA channels should have NEVER been allowed by Congress to charge retransmission fees in the first place!

#10 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

Amen. OTA channels should have NEVER been allowed by Congress to charge retransmission fees in the first place!

Traded a series of emails with KTVN's station manager on this subject last week. You can imagine his stance on the subject.

#11 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

The KTVN dispute has allowed me more time to watch KRNV and KOLO news. Thanks KTVN.

#12 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

For that matter, the stations should PAY Dish to Carry their 'nearly free' bandwidth, supposedly 'free' to all stations (ad supported), but of course "You can NOT watch ANY other CBS station because you are in our DMA, but we charge Dish for carriage-we screw you from both sides, smart huh?"!!!!

Yet another case of Big business paying off US law makers via huge powerful NAB lobbyist for corporate greed, oops, profits, oops, free enterprise, oops, capitalism. :)

Yeah, yeah, we know its just silly TV, but the airwaves and frequencies are 'supposedly' owned by the Citizens of US, ha ha, what a joke?!! Stations are mandated to provide 'free to all' TV signals to those in their DMA but do they (ask us who live in hilly country-barriers to reception)?
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#13 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

In the old days when DISH didn't have all the major networks for a DMA, your bill would be slightly reduced. The last time this happened, the Viacom fiasco, I was able to get CBS in Atlanta for a small fee per month. Since the latter is no longer available, grumble, what about the former?

What happens to the bill these days with these protracted disputes?

#14 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

I'm sure at some point the parties will come to an agreement and KTVN will return to DISH. In the meantime, as long as we don't have a CBS station are we suppose to get a slightly reduced bill?

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,550 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

I'm sure at some point the parties will come to an agreement and KTVN will return to DISH. In the meantime, as long as we don't have a CBS station are we suppose to get a slightly reduced bill?

No harm in asking. The worse they could say could be no.

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

I was hoping someone from the DIRT would answer the question. I dread the idea of playing CSR roulette, once again.

#17 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

The KTVN dispute has allowed me more time to watch KRNV and KOLO news. Thanks KTVN.

Out of curiosity is E providing another CBS affiliate for dish subscribers or is it just a screen with the dispute explanation on it.

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

No. I don't think so.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

DISH isn't providing an alternate CBS, hence why I want to know if a small refund is in order. This is what DISH use to do when the DMA wasn't complete.

The last time I looked at channel 2, DISH had a lady in a video loop explaining why KTVN was removed. However, for days the audio kept cutting out at random intervals and became annoying. You would think that DISH would have noticed the audio problem, but they haven't.

#20 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Even though the KTVN video still shows the lady with the glitchy audio[1] attempting to explain why KTVN was removed from DISH's lineup, the 119° sat has returned to showing the immediate KTVN guide data. Perhaps an end is in sight or is it just another glitch?

[1] For the entire time that DISH has removed KTVN, DISH has been completely oblivious to the glitchy audio problem, thus rendering that portion of the explanation for why KTVN was removed, useless.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...