Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV wins PC Magazine Reader's Choice Award

tv online

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Yeah - I'm sure comparing a 6 year old DVR with something that just came out in the past 18 months from FIOS is a reasonable comparison...

The HR24's are far superior to the FIOS DVRs in numerous ways - and yes - I have seen and used both extensively.

If I could have gotten a replacement HR24 for my old HR20 without paying the $200 lease fee I might still be a DirecTV customer. Their replacement policy sucks.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

I'm not looking at $3 a month savings to justify the PC/WMC setup. I'm looking at the FiOS Triple Play being $75 a month less than DirecTV/Vonage/FiOS Internet to justify the PC/WMC setup. That pays for the Ceton card in 4 months. It pays for two Ceton cards in 8 months.

I already have two HTPCs for OTA recording since I have an antenna on the roof. All I have to do is add the Ceton cards into those two HTPCs and I have 8 tuners plus the 4 OTA tuners I have now.

And let's be realistic - people on this board are not the average consumer.

I absolutely agree that the people on this board are not the average consumer. My point was that no company is gonna provide services targeted at a fraction of a percent of their total customer base...the allusion being that the current hardware is more than adequate for the average subscriber.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#43 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm not looking at $3 a month savings to justify the PC/WMC setup. I'm looking at the FiOS Triple Play being $75 a month less than DirecTV/Vonage/FiOS Internet to justify the PC/WMC setup. That pays for the Ceton card in 4 months. It pays for two Ceton cards in 8 months.

I already have two HTPCs for OTA recording since I have an antenna on the roof. All I have to do is add the Ceton cards into those two HTPCs and I have 8 tuners plus the 4 OTA tuners I have now.

And let's be realistic - people on this board are not the average consumer.

And let's be realistic, the average customer doesn't have two HTPCs laying around.

Compare apples to apples.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#44 OFFLINE   ericcooper1956@att.net

ericcooper1956@att.net

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

Here's the article.

They still rank TiVo best among the standalones, although DIRECTV DVRs outscore TiVo for those getting a new device in the last year.

Not bad....

I have had both. DirectTV is much better than TiVO

#45 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

I get a page not found error on the article?

#46 OFFLINE   dmurray

dmurray

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have been very disappointed with my HR22-100. While I am aware that there are newer and superior models out there, I have been unable to get one without shelling out $200 and getting locked into a long term agreement. I used to be a big fan of D* but not so much any more.

#47 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have been very disappointed with my HR22-100. While I am aware that there are newer and superior models out there, I have been unable to get one without shelling out $200 and getting locked into a long term agreement. I used to be a big fan of D* but not so much any more.

If you are as disappointed as you say you are, there are other options avaialble to you.

#48 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

I dont get why many people tout the WMC as an alternative. I have found it to be a complete dog on my quad core 5gb ram W7 machine. Locked up constantly. It got to the point where I gave my brother my tv card because he needed one and WMC sucked.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#49 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

If your out of contract, you might be able to get a credit for buying a retail DVR (e.g., solid signal) for the price paid. Retention dept is probably the best way to go.

#50 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Way To Go Directv!!!

I am very happy with my Directv Experience and it just keeps getting better with WHDVR Service and now the upcoming HDGUI making our DVRs respond Faster and with all of the HD Programming I have and with 7 DVRs and 13 Terabytes of Storage Capacity I am Good To Go with Directv!!! :hurah:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#51 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Way To Go Directv!!!

I am very happy with my Directv Experience and it just keeps getting better with WHDVR Service and now the upcoming HDGUI making our DVRs respond Faster and with all of the HD Programming I have and with 7 DVRs and 13 Terabytes of Storage Capacity I am Good To Go with Directv!!! :hurah:

Although modest in comparison in terms of storage and receivers, Whole House rocks, and I like the HD GUI and love my nomad....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#52 OFFLINE   padarjohn

padarjohn

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I don't know what planet these people are from, or what DVR they're using.

I started with a DirectTV Tivo. When HD came out I "bought" and HR20 for $275. It sucked, but I didn't have any choice. When I got a 3D-capable TV about a year ago I was upgraded to an HR23. It's the worst piece of junk I've ever had to deal with. It often takes 5-10 seconds just to respond to a button press. When I called to complain they told me I "qualified for an upgrade", but they couldn't guarantee I wouldn't just be sent another HR23.

I'm sure PCMag was given the latest and greatest DVR to play with. But customers don't have that kind of choice. We're stuck with whatever DirecTV wants to send us. You might get and HR24, but more likely you'll get a refurbished HR22/23.

Every day that I use my HR23 I long for my old Tivo. Now DirecTV has an official Tivo product, but I was told I would have to "buy" it for $200 (and it would still belong to DirecTV, not me :mad:). I'm sorry, I already paid almost $300 to prepay a DirecTV DVR lease. For that price I'll go buy a refurb unit directly from Tivo and go off-the-air, and save ~$1000/year in the process.

spam firewall