Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Common Sense ratings Glitch?

movers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

This is what I wrote to Common Sense media.....tell me if you agree.......

When reading your ratings on certain movies on my Directv HD DVR, I believe there needs to be a re-wording. For example, for the movie, "Ninja Assassin" which is Rated R, the description states that this movie is "Iffy for 16+". I doubt that you mean that it's okay for people under 16 years old to watch it and maybe not so much for people that are 16 and older?! It should probably be re-worded, "Iffy for 16-". In other words, that it's okay for people older than 16 to watch and but maybe not so much for people 16 years of age and under!! I believe that all movies that show "Iffy" are not described correctly; the plus sign should be a minus sign. I hope that I was able to help. Thank you for your time and understanding and I would appreciate your prompt attentiveness to this very important matter.

Talk about your irony....if a movie is so-called "Iffy" then it is iffy for people thast are of a certain age and younger but is okay for people of that age and older....that is common sense!! I ahve been noticing this for months and just never said anything until now. I welcome all of your comments and opinions.

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

I've always thought that was odd.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

My only thought is that since this is to help parents decide what is best for their kids, maybe their age range stops at 18. So "Iffy for 16+" actually means iffy for kids 16-18.

EDIT: It actually looks like they stop at age 17.

http://www.commonsen...out-our-ratings

Edited by hilmar2k, 04 November 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Okay, I think the "iffy" comes down to DIRECTV not being able/willing to fully implement Common Sense Media's rating system. On their site, they use a color/number system. Take a look at the partial screen shot, I think the yellow rating is what turns into "iffy" on DIRECTV.

11-4-2011 4-54-42 PM.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

I think it should simply add a comma or period. E.G.:

"Iffy, for 16+"
or
"Iffy. For 16+"

In other words, It's iffy. It's intended for 16+.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

So if we are to assume that the age range stops at 17 years old, then if a movie is Iffy for 16+ then this means that if you're younger than 16 than the movie is definitely not good to view but if you're 16 and 17 than it's Iffy. This sort of makes sens but of course the people viewing the rating (info. - description of the movie) has to know this!!
Stu is saying that the movie if Iffy if you're younger than 16 but if you're 16 and older than it's okay to watch. Maybe, but if that's true than yes, they would need to inert a period or semi-colon after the word Iffy...big difference if it's not inserted!! Well we can't assume anything and if that punctuation is not there then it's just simply not there, therefore making Stu's hypothecy incorrect.
It really does sound like i you're younger than 16 than it's okay to watch but Iffy if you're 16 and older which of course makes no sense!! I gather that it probably means that if you're younger than 16 than it's not okay to watch and if you're 16 and 17 than it's Iffy and if you're 18 and older than go for it! Any thoughts??!!

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

#7 OFFLINE   debell

debell

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

Does anyone pay attention to those ratings? Can't you simply read the plot of the movie and get a feel for whether or not it's going to be appropriate for your child?

That's what I do. If I'm unsure, I'll do a quick search online to see if the movie would be appropriate. Never rely on a rating system!

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Does anyone pay attention to those ratings? Can't you simply read the plot of the movie and get a feel for whether or not it's going to be appropriate for your child?

That's what I do. If I'm unsure, I'll do a quick search online to see if the movie would be appropriate. Never rely on a rating system!

I use it some. There are some shows on some of the netorks that my kids watch that I don't let them watch because of CSM.

Generally, however, I trust my kids to watch what is appropriate for them. And I use the DIRECTV parental controls to make sure they don't accidentally land on something way inappropriate. They are 10 and 6, 30 seconds of Spartacus could scar them for life. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Watching CSPAN can sometimes scar one for life. :sure:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

My wife always laughs at the "iffy for xx" stuff on D* listings.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

So if we are to assume that the age range stops at 17 years old, then if a movie is Iffy for 16+ then this means that if you're younger than 16 than the movie is definitely not good to view but if you're 16 and 17 than it's Iffy. This sort of makes sens but of course the people viewing the rating (info. - description of the movie) has to know this!!
Stu is saying that the movie if Iffy if you're younger than 16 but if you're 16 and older than it's okay to watch.

"Iffy for 16+" means that no one under 16 should see it and it is questionable for those 16 and 17.

I would have thought this was obvious to everyone. Funny how we all look at things differently.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#12 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

I do agree that one shouldn't rely solely on a simple rating like "Iffy for 16+," but in this case, there is additional context provided in the form of specific in-depth information from Common Sense, which is probably more complete and easier to access than the information one could get by doing an online search. (Actually, if one's online search led to Common Sense's website, it would be there as well -- but if you're using your DirecTV receiver, it's easier to just get the info right there on your TV.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...